Wednesday 29 June 2011

Book review: The Way of Kings Part 2 - Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Stormlight archives, book 1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 544
Published: UK Gollancz June 2011
Released in two volumes due to size of book. 

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike.It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain.  Wars were fought for them, and won by them. One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity. Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war. 

My thoughts:
This is then part 2 of book 1. I reviewed part 1 a few days ago. The book is over a 1000 pages long so this paperback release was published as two parts. 

I liked part 1 and it helped build the world. Part 2 was excellent. At times it had me almost biting my nails when it got really intense. I did not feel like looking at the end because I wanted to savor every moment even if it meant reading for hours until my eyes were bleeding. Yes you get the point, I did not want to put down this book. It really helped making Sanderson one of my fav fantasy authors.

I have said it before and I will say it anything, he is a master worldbuilder. And at the end of the book he shook the foundations of everything I thought I knew. I gasped for air and could not believe what I just read. It was so good, just read the book and we will talk.

Kaladin, oh poor Kaladin, he still carry bridges for the army. They are nothing more than cannon fodder. They die like flies but he is a shining beacon. He helps his men survive and he will help his crew escape. He is a true leader and hero, and I love him to pieces. His story is the best and it also have me aching since his fate is so cruel, but he does not give up. Dalinar then, he becomes more and more intriguing. He has these visions of times long gone and everyone thinks he is insane. I do wonder why things are happening to him. Kaladin's power I have figured out but Dalinar, oh yes I wonder about that old bear. The third big character is Shallan, I found a new respect for her too. She does redeem herself at the end of this book. She too sees things, all around her, but why? Something is happening to all 3 of them that will change this world. Since the end seems to be coming, the bad guys are coming back.

This was a great start to this fantasy series. It has everything, politics, magic, war, great characters, questions and a world created so well.

Conclusion:
I recommend this to all fantasy fans. Do not get scared by the size of the book, when you well get started you will not be able to put it down. Amazing start and I can't wait for book 2 and more of this great story. Hurry up and go and read it.

Rating:
Recommened

Cover:
Meh

25 comments:

  1. If I find it I will read it for sure - a great review and no, I am not scared by a 1000 pages book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another fantasy novel to add to my TBR! I, actually like the fact that it's over 1000 pages - the better the book, the longer I want it to be.
    The cover is so sadly boring for a book that sounds so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I ought to give Brandon Sanderson another try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why we get scared when we see it is 1000 pages. If we consider how much we do read... ;) This does sound so interesting. I am especially curious about the world building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to recommend this series to a friend of mine that enjoys fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said. I was a bit nervous about the opening chapters of this first half (the fight scene seemed a bit too much like what he'd already done with the Mistborn saga), but you're right about him being able to build a world. I can't wait to see the next entry . . . although I'm willing to wait for him to finish Wheel of Time first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, at least the cover continues the same colors/theme as the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. 1,000 pages? That's quite a hefty fantasy book! I love the world building in this genre, it's always amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I admit it. 1000 pages is intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like this is worth reading! Any time 1000 pages fly past is a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good fantasy series but my eyes keep bugging out when I look at the page count.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ana
    Yay, good for you. Do not let that beast scare you, it is as friendly as other books

    @Misha
    Like I always (ok I never say it cos I love covers) do not judge a book by its cover ;)

    @Cherry
    Oh please do

    @Melissa
    I think it is more the weight of it. At least for me. So tricky to carry it around and to even read it

    ReplyDelete
  13. @DC
    I hope she enjoys it

    @Sally
    I did think the same when I read the pages at the back of the book. But then I saw the difference, even if it took a while.

    Oh yes I will totally wait for WoT first since I worship that series and want an end..today!

    @Chris
    That it does, always a good thing

    @Jenny
    I do think that is why I love fantasy, awesome world building

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Carol
    Lol, well it scares me too

    @Carrie
    Thanks :D It did feel easier in two parts

    @Mel
    Fly by so fast...*coughs* Ok it takes a while but it seems like no time at all

    @Jenny
    Well it is loooooooooooooooooong. But good

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do get scared by 1000 pages but I'll try to get past it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't finished the book yet so I won't read the review but I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it. I'm enjoying it so far as well but the fact that it's so heavy has prevented me from reading it as frequently as I normally would. But I'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my, this sound so good. must find the time to get into this epic tale.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Must. Read. This. Book. Brandon Sanderson is really just fascinating. Seems like he came onto the sci-fi/fantasy scene out of nowhere! :o)

    1000 pages, though. Ya certainly get your money's worth reading this thing, whew!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grrr, Okay, okay... I REALLY need to see about finishing this book. Oh boy. out of 1000 pages, I'm only 400 in. Wow. I really need to get back to this book. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book made you gasp for air - my goodness! I'm trying to think if I've ever read anything that affected me in such a way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Alyssa
    it would scare anyone, I wonder if all his books will be that long o_O

    @Simcha
    I do think it helped me that I read it in 2 parts. It just got so much easier that way and I saw an ending in sight ;)

    @VV
    Yes you so must find the time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ALisha
    He sure did :D I know he was around before but I had never even heard about him before he was picked to finish WoT.
    Lol, oh yes!

    @Melissa
    Yes hurry on so we can talk ;) Yikes..but hang in there girl and just read on and then read some more

    @Steph
    I know it surprised me too but it was just good. I totally did not see it coming

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is this the same author who finished the Robert Jordan books? It sure sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aurian
    Yes that is him :D
    Awwww WoT, I love that series

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP