Wednesday 27 June 2012

Review: A Conspiracy of Kings - Megan Whalen Turner + guestblogging

A Conspiracy of Kings
Sophos, under the guidance of yet another tutor, practices his swordplay and strategizes escape scenarios should his father's villa come under attack. How would he save his mother? His sisters? Himself? Could he reach the horses in time? Where would he go? But nothing prepares him for the day armed men, silent as thieves, swarm the villa courtyard ready to kill, to capture, to kidnap. Sophos, the heir to the throne of Sounis, disappears without a trace. 
In Attolia, Eugenides, the new and unlikely king, has never stopped wondering what happened to Sophos. Nor has the Queen of Eddis. They send spies. They pay informants. They appeal to the gods. But as time goes by, it becomes less and less certain that they will ever see their friend alive again.  Across the small peninsula battles are fought, bribes are offered, and conspiracies are set in motion. Darkening the horizon, the Mede Empire threatens, always, from across the sea. And Sophos, anonymous and alone, bides his time. Sophos, drawing on his memories of Gen, Pol, the Magus and Eddis, sets out on an adventure that will change all of their lives forever.

My thoughts:

Sure I liked the book but I was also disappointed. Ok so book 3 was about someone else, but Gen was always there. While this one was about Sophos. The heir to Sounis who gen met in book 1. So it was not Gen's book at all, and yeah, not a fan of that fact. Might be the one I liked the least.

Anyway, Sophos is weak and likes poetry. Sophos is kidnapped, Sophos is a slave, Sophos matures. And then there is fighting. That is this book and every time we saw Gen, not much though, he felt like such a stranger. But the writing is still good and the book so too. And it makes me wonder that if she does write more books..who will have the POV in those books?

As it is now the book ends good and so..for now (there is always a for now). It could have been an end to the series. But who knows.

Conclusion:
Honestly I haven't got much to say. I missed Gen cos he is so fun and weird. But at least I got to see Sophos and Eddis trying to find each other again.

Cover:
Nice, but I'd like to see more

Series: The Queen's Thief
Genre: YA /fantasy
Pages: 336
Published: 2010 by Grenwillow Books
Source: library

-----------

Come on over and say hi :) I am over at VVn32's and talking about how little I do read about France in the end. It's all things France over at her blog



30 comments:

  1. Awe. I'm sorry your beloved Gen was missing and felt like a stranger. I hope you get Gen's book soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want Gen :/ Sophos was just..not as cool

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you were disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll wait how this series pans out further before picking it up....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you didn't enjoy this one as much as the others, I am happy you have caught up with this series! And that you seem to like Gen (cause you missed him)! :D

    Yes, the POV changes every book. I would love to read another one from Gen's POV, but it's anyone's guess whose POV the next one will be from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still good, but I missed Gen too much, that little thief grew on me :D

      I do wonder..no idea at all what she will come up with in the end.

      And yes you are to blame btw ;D

      Delete
  5. I have to read the other books just to meet Gen. Sorry he wasn't central to this one for you. I also like the cover, but would also like to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say the same thing, more faces. I hate these half heads

      Delete
  6. It's always disappointing when a favorite character doesn't make an appearance as you hoped they would. Sorry Gen wasn't there in this one, but hopefully if there are more books he'll be present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if she writes more, that is the question this time :(

      Delete
  7. I am curious about Gen now..but haven't read any in this series, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's too bad. Doesn't sound like it was the best book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry this was a disappointment for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone's in love with Gen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, perhaps I am, that weirdo grew on me

      Delete
  11. Oh someone loves a literary character wayyyyyyyy too much. Give poor Sophos a chance. Poetry fans can be nice too. And weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, poetry, psawh. But dang, when did I fall for Gen?

      Delete
  12. I think it's always a little difficult when the characters change... Mainly when we love one, I'm always anxious when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just felt sudden. I had grown used to him, and even if the previous book was not about him he was still always there

      Delete
  13. I am sorry you did not like this one very much. Hope the next one is more to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I probably wouldn't handle the disappointment either. Hope the next book is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP