Tuesday 26 June 2012

Review: False Covenant - Ari Marmell

False Covenant
A creature of the other world, an unnatural entity bent on chaos and carnage, has come to stalk the nighttime streets of the Galicien city of Davillon. There’s never a good time for murder and panic, but for a community already in the midst of its own inner turmoil, this couldn’t possibly have come at a worse one.

Not for Davillon, and not for a young thief who calls herself Widdershins.

It’s been over half a year since the brutal murder of Archbishop Wil­liam de Laurent during his pilgrimage to Davillon. And in all that time, Widdershins has truly tried her best. She has tried to take care of Genevieve’s tavern and tried to make a semihonest living in a city slowly stagnating under the weight of an angry and disapproving Church. She has tried to keep out of trouble, away from the attentions of the Davillon Guard and above the secrets and schemes of the city’s new bishop.

But she’s in way over her head, with no idea which way to turn. The Guard doesn’t trust her. The Church doesn’t trust her. Her own Thieves’ Guild doesn’t trust her.

Too bad for everyone, then, that she and her personal god, Olgun, may be their only real weapon against a new evil like nothing the city has ever seen.

My thoughts:
First I have to say, evil author alert (in a good way of course!). This time I stopped reading and shouted no!!! (and by now my poor bf is used to me going crazy over a book). So he "listened" while I rambled on and cursed the author and then hurried and finished the rest of the book. I think Marmell might just take the first place for biggest shock in a book this year. *still in shock*. Well done there.

As for the book, I do like Widdershins and her constant companion Olgun, and I am so curious about him. I do want to know more about this Northern God that no one knows about anymore.  And Widdershins is kick-ass and cool. A great thief, not so great at keeping a tavern though. And a knack for getting into trouble, with everyone! This time with the church, among others as things are not good in Davillion at the moment.

There is action, adventure and even a hint of romance, a tiny hint but hey I do not need much and I like Julian who is everything she should stay away from, a Guard. But there is something there and he is also someone she can trust. And of course I like him, he is also a great side character to just have around. Poor Widdershins needs some good people around her.

Now I starting to feel at a loss for words again. Great book, and it sure made me want more. I need more! More please with sugar on top. Like now.

Final thoughts: 
Recommended series that will keep you on the edge of your seats. Widdershins is my kind of heroine. Go forth and read.

Cover:
Cool

Series: Widdershins Adventures #2
Genre: YA / fantasy
Pages: 281
Published: June 26th 2012 by PYR
Source: For review

37 comments:

  1. One of these days you will have me back to reading fantasy! I swear that I will stop accepting review copies....that way my time is my own and I could drop everything to read your recommended books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I tell you every single time, yes come back to fantasy :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, if only it wasn't YA I would put it on my wishlist immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me that there is no real YA feeling. I have read adult fantasy books that have been like this. She is young, but then many fantasy protagonists are.

      Delete
  3. What a great review! I love books that make me feel like that. I also think you have a great bf! Most people around me just roll their eyes and then go back to doing whatever they were doing before I interrupted their peace. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll their eyes! The horror. I think he mostly pretend that I am not there, lol and mumbles yes yes when I curse

      Delete
  4. Now I need to know what could be so shocking! It being YA makes me little hesitant to start these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not fear the YA thing, Marmell is evil enough to make this so not YA. It's only YA cos it's lighter

      Delete
  5. LOL! Sounds like reading is a very active thing for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I knew this series but it sounds like a nice read. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. evil author alert? sounds good. I like being shocked. Widdershins is a cool name.
    lol my hubby is used to me complaining or raving over books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least there is someone there ;) Better than to complain to the cat or an empty room

      Delete
  8. I can't believe I still haven't read book 1. It's been in my TBR pile for ages, though I'm glad to hear that book 2 is also good. I guess now I can just get both of them. And I love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are great :D Just her, but still so cool.

      Yes yes read it! You are the one who first made me meet Marmell when you had that post with him long ago

      Delete
  9. I love books that keep me on the edge of my seat! I'll have to check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is true love...understanding and accepting how crazy you are and even enabling it by listening to the rants and rambles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, now that is true :D
      Luckily he knows I am bookcrazy

      Delete
  11. I love when an author makes me rant! Awesome review another to add to my ever growing pile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your review - maybe. Just maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the cover!
    You made me LOL with your little rant at the beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like to be kept on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! Thanks for the evil author alert. I love it when authors keep readers on their toes, and desperately wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good at that :D Well some at least

      Delete
  16. Reading from your rant, sounds like a promising start to a good series.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, oh me and my rants, well they are a must

      Delete
  17. Doh! I do need and want to get this series. Sounds just like something I would love. Thanks for the awesome review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to love that you stopped in the middle and yelled. I did that the other night with a book and my dog looked at me like "there she goes again"!

    How sweet of your BF to just nod his head and listen to you. He might be a keeper LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, the dog must be used to it, just like poor bf is.

      Aye he sure is a keeper keeping up with me going psycho while reading

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP