Monday 9 July 2012

Review: Forbidden by Fate - Kristin Miller

Forbidden By Fate
Sasha, a love-thirsty werewolf and rightful heir to the Were throne, is ready to take control over her pack. But when her first love, dragon shifter Damon Frost, lands on her doorstep, demanding their races negotiate ownership over Feralon’s hot springs, he makes her question more than the fight for the enchanted neutral ground. No matter the emotions bubbling inside her, Sasha can’t become involved with Damon. Not now. Not ever again.

Forbidden to step foot onto Were land after a romp with the Were Alpha’s daughter as a teenager, Damon Frost has bided his time, waiting for the day when he’d be accepted back onto Were land. Using the hot spring negotiation as a way to get closer to Sasha, Damon plans to use every minute alone to remind her of the passion they shared—a passion they could ignite again.
One night of ecstasy stands between them and the fight for the springs. One night of revealing glances, skin searing chemistry, and erotic desires they’d long buried.

Will one taste of forbidden love be enough to satiate their desires? Or will the need to explore the depths of their love unleash a Were-Draco war?

When I saw the words dragon shifter on the blurb, I knew I had to read this. Dragons, well, there's a soft spot.

This is an explicit romance between a werewolf princess (sort of) and a dragon shifter. Sasha and Damon are of two different, hostile races, but they manage to find love in the neutral territory on the island of Feralon. When Sasha becomes of age and a full pack member, her father the Alpha forbids her from seeing Damon ever again. Years later when that neutral territory might cease to be neutral, they meet again and reconnect.

What has Damon been doing all these years, and how has Sasha fared with the potential mates thrust upon her?

This time I was expecting it, I swear I was. So, when the story starts with a steamy sex scene, I'm thinking yes, oh yes but-but-but--it's a dream. Phew!

Anonymous trysts aren't for me, I truly need to know more about the characters to enjoy it. And that's my main problem with this novella. Most of the sex is at the beginning or at least in the first half of the book. The plot and characterisations aren't addressed until later in the text at which point I'm finally diving into the world.

I like that Damon shifts into a real dragon instead of some pathetic dragon human hybrid (I've read one of those), and I like the fact that Sasha is expected to take over as Alpha after her father. This of course doesn't stop the men of the pack from dreaming of a coup through mating with her, but these aspects are only hinted at. I'm not so sure about one of the other pack aspects, according to which an Alpha can only force a pack member to obey his orders after they've turned eighteen.

We don't get to see nearly enough of the dragon side of the island for my liking, and the third race, Merfolk, are only mentioned in passing. The world building was disappointing in a sense that I wanted to know more. There simply wasn't room for it, but I wanted it explored further.

What there was room for, was roughly divided into three parts: sex, reclaiming their relationship, and the hostilities between the two races. In that order. I thought Miller struck the balance between the three quite well, but I still think the sex should have come after.


Series:         N/A
Pages:          87 (pdf)
Publisher:      Harlequin
Imprint:         Harlequin Cravings
Published:      July 1st 2012
Source:          Lit Connect

Note from Blodeuedd: Come back on Wednesday when Rameau interviews Kristin

33 comments:

  1. I just read this one as well and really enjoyed it! Like you, I like there to be a solid relationship before the sex happens, but when I know it's a novella I'm a little more forgiving and understand things are going to happen a bit quicker:) I would have loved more info on the dragons, maybe we'll get another novella that features them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, pretty much. Even with a novella, though, if the sex scenes don't feel completely organic I'll mention it. It's all about how the author handles it. A little less in this might've done the trick for me.

      *crosses fingers* Let's hope for more dragons.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yeah, I'm not a fan of the sex first, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Chris. The dream saved a lot but I'm a big fan of UST. Sex first kills UST.

      Ana, have you been a bad girl?

      Delete
  3. I can understand the little problem, but like you the dragon thing intrigues me. I hope you'll have more info in the sequel. thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a longer reply for you but blogger ate it and now I can't remember anything other than:

      *crosses fingers* Let's hope for more dragons.

      Delete
  4. I agree, storyline development first, sex later.
    This isn't my usual genre but I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I surprised myself, because paranormal isn't usually something I gravitate to and yet, my first review for Blodeuedd are paranormals.

      Delete
  5. It is not a book for me. Firstly it is a novella, secondly, sex definitely should come AFTER the proper story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn. The book I wanted to recommend to you is a novella. Oh, what's not meant to be is not meant to be.

      Delete
  6. I think that is why I am not a huge fan of the novella--I want more building before sex. Though you did say the magic word: Dragon Shifter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novellas are a hit or miss for me. A truly good writer can make it work beautifully and sometimes I like a quick read. Too many, though, are left wanting.

      You can't see me, but I'm wearing a magician's hat now. Would you like a bunny? :P

      Delete
  7. Hm... I am like the others... want the relationship before the smex. I'm like Felicia, though.. the magic word is dragon shifter! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a bunny in the hat for you too, if you'd like one ;)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Shiny, isn't it? Must get more of these.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like the story definitely had potential, just a little too short to flesh it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleshing it out would've helped, so would have UST.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You're welcome. You're not tired with me yet?

      Delete
    2. No no, bring it on, you're just too good at this, while I just ramble on

      Delete
  11. Dragons? Definitely a soft spot! But reading from your review, it didn't seem to work out very well... loads of potentials not fully realised... I don't think I'll be picking this book up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for further books if any, and if improvements are done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting for more too.

      If you truly want to read about dragons, there's a YA book called Seraphina by Rachel Hartman that's coming out soon (today/tomorrow). It's a part of a series but can be read as a stand alone. I reviewed it on Goodreads a while ago:

      http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/228732158

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I entered into a few blog giveaways where one of the book choices is Seraphina *keeping my fingers crossed*

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the review! I was hooked on the mention of dragon-shifter too. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome ;) I keep going back to the fact that he shifted into a real dragon instead of some dragon-human hybrid, which I've read before.

      Delete
  13. the dragon shifter part does sound cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just. There's decidedly too few dragon shifter stories out there.

      Delete
  14. I'm trying to picture what the kids would look like - half-werewolf, half-dragon-shifter. A were-dragon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's an interesting thought. I didn't even think about the offspring but I would have guessed that the children would predominantly take after one parent or the other or have the ability to shift into both... or neither. Or be a genetic dead end.

      ...Oops. You've unleashed the rambler.

      Delete
  15. I need to see the connection between my characters before the sex scenes for that reason I don't think this book is for me.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP