Monday 30 July 2012

Review: The Second Empress - Michelle Moran

The Second Empress
Empress Josephine's family has been called to Napoleon's court for the terrible news that he intends to divorce his barren wife of thirteen years and take a younger bride, the Austrian Princess Marie-Louise. For Josephine's daughter, Hortense, this means she is free to leave her husband, Napoleon's brother, having given the Bonapartes three heirs. As she looks for love, she must support her mother through the terrible grief of Napoleon's betrayal. For his new wife, it is a terrible duty she must take on in her father's name. She has nothing in common with the strange, older man she has married and can find little in her life to enjoy. But an unlikely friendship with Hortense will bring her much comfort, especially as she must fight for her own happiness. For Napoleon's sister, Pauline Bonaparte, it is yet another woman stealing her brother's attention and affection. Having spent years attempting to control his power and his influence, she must fight harder and dirtier if she is to win...

My thoughts:
So far I have not read a Moran book that disappointed me, and I happy to say that one was just as good as the rest.

Through out the whole book there was this easy flow to it, I took it up and started reading and suddenly I found myself 1/3 through the book. So I did what any booklover would do, I finished it in one day. I really liked the flow, the book felt light by it.

The book itself spans over 6 years and has 3 POVS. Princess Marie-Louise who have to marry Napoleon. She is not happy but will do her duty. Then we have Napoleon's sister Pauline who is a piece of work, but still, she has issues too. And last Pauline's chamberlain Paul. They all give an insight and we get to see more than we would have since with just Marie-Louise around. 

I like how Moran presents everyone, even with their faults she makes me see that there might be something behind all of it. Well except Napoleon, that guy was just crazy. But every man needs a vision.

The book felt different from the ones before, maybe because of the lightness, it was not that long either. She wove in the historical facts without making them heavy or making them too many.

Conclusion:
I could go on and on. In the end, all I want to say is that I really enjoyed reading this book and that I recommend it to all. It's the kind of historical fiction you just fall in love with.

Cover:
Nice

Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 358
Published; July 5th 2012
Publisher: Quercus
Source: For review

52 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed the two Moran novels I've read so I'm glad to hear you liked this one! Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all of her books, she is just awesome!

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read this book, the cover is beautiful. Thanks for the great review, I am going to see if I can pick this one up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the cover, simple and yet not. Pretty :)
      And a great novel underneath

      Delete
  3. I have two of her books but as usual have not read them. Loved your thoughts on this one and how easy it flowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read them! She is just so good at what she does

      Delete
  4. Historical Fiction is a great genre to get lost in for a few hours if done right! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even wished I could have been there..well hidden since it was not the best of times

      Delete
  5. I love it when I start a book and lose track of time. Glad you enjoyed and thanks for review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read two of her books and they did not disappoint! this one sounds a sure fire winner as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked her other books then I promise you'll like this one too :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a quality historical read, it's always nice to find an author who consistently writes books and characters you enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with authors I love I get disappointed here and there *trying not to jinx it* Luckily that has not happened here

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting to read this author for a while and I never get to it. This one sounds great. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try her then! I recommend all of her books

      Delete
  9. Sounds great. I'll keep an eye out for it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't enjoy any Moran novel so far but this one might be the first! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to get me into her books, aren't you. Haven't found one you haven't liked? I gotta know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, nope, I have read 4 (now 5) and all were good :D

      Delete
  12. Everyone loves her books - I still need to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a book with multiple POV's and the fact that the flow was so good you finished it a day has me checking out this author and book. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just could not put it down and it was so easy to read. I love that cos I just want to be swept away

      Delete
  14. I've loved her books but haven't read Madame Tussaud yet. I don't care that much about France and and I'm not fan of Napoleon but since this is Moran I'll give it a shot :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unsure too, first about Tussaud, which I ended up loving and then about this one. I thought, will it really be interesting (not a fav period of mine), and well it's Moran and I ended up loving it too :)

      Delete
    2. yeah I won that book and I still have yet to read it...I'm not sure. The Napoleon France isn't my favorite setting ever. I like the era, but he bugs me. lol

      Delete
  15. Ooooooooh Napoleon. He was....well...an interesting fellow. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan either, but Moran makes anything and everything fantastic

      Delete
  16. I love Moran’s novels as she always picks such interesting figures as subjects and makes history come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up for her is India :D I can't wait

      Delete
  17. So glad you really enjoyed it. I don't think you can go wrong with Moran. Must get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true :D I hope she continue being just as awesome

      Delete
  18. Sounds like a good read. Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just have to wait until she writes a new novel :)

      Delete
  19. The only historical fiction I have read, was in my teens when I discovered Jean Plaidy. I loved her books, my favourite is Catherine de Medici.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read a Plaidy book..shocking I agree

      Delete
  20. you know what I really don't read a lot oh historical fiction. Well I have some but I don't think it's my fav genre. I like one from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it but then I have always been a historylover :)

      Delete
  21. Another one I'm adding to my TBR...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just added the book to my tbrlist. I need to read this one, it sounds so good and I like reading books with the genre: historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His fic is just awesome :D And Moran writes it so good. You def need to read her

      Delete
  23. "But every man needs a vision."

    LOL! So very true. The reason I usually avoid HF is because it tend to be heavy. This one sounds appealing to me because, as you said, it's light. I think that's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does tend to be heavy sometimes, but this one is the opposite, light, even with the detail it still brings

      Delete
  24. Is this book part of a series?

    ReplyDelete
  25. hahaha I just posted my review and said the same thing about Pauline ... what a piece of work. Michelle Moran is at the top of my fave historical fiction author list, glad you loved it too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well she sure was something else. But I understood her *coughs* at times

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP