Thursday 30 August 2012

Review: Exile - Rowena Cory Daniells


For over three hundred years the mystics have lived alongside the true-men, until King Charald lays siege to the mystic's island city. Imoshen, most powerful of the female mystics, is elected to negotiate with the true-man king. The male mystics still resent her, but she has an ally in Sorne, the half-blood, who was raised by true-men. Even though he is vulnerable to her gifts, he gives Imoshen his loyalty. In return, she gives him the most dangerous of tasks, to spy for her. She negotiates exile for her people. They must pack all their valuables, reach port and set sail by the fi rst day of winter. But to do this, they have to cross a kingdom filled with true-men who are no longer bluffed by their gifts. Meanwhile, there are mystics living in the countryside, unaware that their people have been exiled. King Charald announces any mystics who remain behind after they are exiled will be hunted down and executed.

My thoughts:
I had to start this at once when I got it. I just had to know what would happen! She sure knows how to keep a reader on her (or his) toes.

Book 1 ended with a cliffhanger, still a cliffhanger that I could live with since the city was under siege. All good for now. But it was just the kind of book that you just crave more, you need to know how the story will end.

As this is fantasy there are many threads and people but I will mention a few. Sorne, the half-blood in the enemy camp who watches the king become more and more crazy. Imoshen who is chosen to make terms with the king. She has a brain, she wants more for her people. The whole Brotherhood against Sisterhood can't last. I have hopes for her.

Then there are others, siblings on an island who does not know that there is a deadline. Leave the country or die! An evil Baron trying to claim power. A member of the Brotherhood realizing how bad their leader is. All coming together in one good plot.

This story is all with trying to stay alive. The "humans" does not want them their. They will kill them all, they want them gone. But can they leave? And how? Daniells had me on needles as I read this book and had my heart in my throat. I love how dark the world is, and how stupid the humans are. That might be strange to say but it does make it more thrilling. They are so stuck in their ways, racists that does not like people being different. It made me hate them so much. Most are willing to slaughter a whole people. And the point is that the people that they hate are not really that different. If all of them leave half-bloods will still be born, yes they are all the same. That is just sad.

It's a rich world filled with conflict and even if I say that the "humans" are bad does not make the other guys good. But at least they only kill each other. Their society can't last they way it is. The T'en on top, the half-bloods under them and men and women leaving separately.

In the end I can't wait to see how this all comes together. Can they survive this hostile world? And can they come to live peacefully among themselves? I can't wait to find out as I need to read the next book. I need to know.

Conclusion:
Totally recommended.  Great fantasy.

Cover: 
Cool

Series: The Outcast Chronicles #2
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 509
Published: July 2012 by Solaris
Source: For review


51 comments:

  1. I loooooooooooooooove the cover of this one -- it completely grabs you! Will have to look for this series since you're so hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has such cool covers! And i do confess that I am a sucker for those

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fantastic story! Did it end with a cliffhanger too? I like to know these things upfront because sometimes it's just better for my mental health if I wait until all the books are released so I don't have to wait:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of kind of not, she is really good with these almost cliffies that does leave you hanging but you have not yet fallen. And all books are out now!

      Delete
  3. the cover keeps catching my eye! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should do my hair like the lady with the red hair. haha

      Delete
    2. Lol, do that :D Now that would be wicked cool

      Delete
  4. Defintely the cover is interesting! Yes, Carole, you would look great with such a hairdo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I were into fantasy more, the adventures sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantasy is just the best :D What is it that does not work for you?

      Delete
  6. I only read a few high fantasies a year, this sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this sounds good. Especially when you couldn't wait to dive in. Not too fond of #1 having a cliffie, but if it was one you could handle, I think I could. Might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally one you could handle. Not like some of those truly cliffies that are out there

      Delete
  8. Lovely review Blodeuedd, this series goes on the wishlist for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely review Blodeuedd,i recently heard of these books and i soooo wantttt themmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I do hope you read them and that you enjoy them

      Delete
  10. Oh damn. You are so rotten to me! I do need to get to this fantasy series. Dang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you know you need too, one must always start a new fantasy series

      Delete
  11. Impressive - a cliffhanger that you forgave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cover as well. Well written, I have to check out this fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stupid people, lol. Hopefully they will grow some brains someday..Anyway, sounds like a great fantasy series. Hopefully the last book will rock your socks off. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am looking for a few good fantasy books! I think I will check this out, though I am not enthusiastic about the cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good cliffies in a way, they make you want the next book, but you will not go insane waiting

      Delete
  15. I didn't know about this series but you review made it sound perfect for me... First book goes to my TBR.
    I need days of 30 hours, 24 are not enough to read everything I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so need to be a luxury wife so that I can read all day and someone else can clean and that stuff ;)

      Delete
  16. wow it sounds great, I don't read a lot of fantasy I confess but I like one from time to time, I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I heart fantasy :D it makes my soul happy

      Delete
  17. Her books sounds so good and I've wanted to read these. And you sound so hooked so it's a good sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Creepy, cool cover! Will keep this series in mind when there's more hours in the day lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artist did well and some in the book do look like that :)

      Delete
  19. That is a cool cover and it sounds like you are loving this series!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounded to me like another cliffhanger ending... I hate cliffie with a passion, so if ever I'm picking up this series it would after the finalle book is published.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you enjoyed, sounds really action packed and good despite cliffhanger.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Next year when I start all over again without review books I will be making it a point to read a fantasy series that you recommend!! This one just may be on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll have to mention this to my husband. I'm not a big fantasy reader, but he enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG. This going to have to go on my must haves..I think it'll satisfy what bloodthirstiness I have for a while. :)

    And there's a book one? Hot diggity!

    Thnx B!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP