Saturday 25 August 2012

Review: Fighting Fate - Leigh Morgan

Fighting Fate
*Looks around corner* Hi guys! Remember me? I used to review her regularly and then went all gypsy and started travelling. Then there were ringers, beach bums, cowboys, knights and oh, I sorta, might have, you know, forgotten about reviewing for B. But I’m back now and I’m here to tell you all about Leigh Morgan’s Fighting Fate a story that is really underappreciated if I judge the lack of buzz out there. It has such a pretty cover too!

Fighting Fate is book two in the Dojo Chronicles. I reviewed Sparring Partners back in 2010 and was pleasantly surprised by how good the story was. Like with Sparring Partners, Fighting Fate was a breath of fresh air. That’s saying something because I can’t remember the last time I read a m/f romance book and liked it. That might actually have been a book reviewed for B. 

Back to the book. Fighting Fate focusses on Jesse Mohr, who is on a quest and Taryn Campbell who is the quest and not in the way you think. Though, the start of the book had me doubting that, because it starts out pretty creepy on Jesse’s part. Luckily that picks up soon! 

Jesse is on a quest to find the long lost child of his adoptive mother, a child given up for adoption. Taryn is that child. But Taryn doesn’t want to be found and isn’t all that sure she wants to meet her mother. At first glance this seems like a pretty straightforward romance with some angst and some drama, but there is much more to it as there is much more to Taryn, as the blurb suggests. I won’t tell you what, that’s something you have to figure out on your own. It would give too much away, but trust me when I say, discovering Taryn and Jesse and company and the quest they undertake? Worth it.

Like with Sparring Partners the writing threw me. It’s really good and organized for a new author. It’s stylish and draws your right into to the story to the extent that it feels like you’re right next to Jesse, Taryn and the other. 

Yes, despite the fact that Fighting Fate can be read as a standalone, I think, there are tidbits from the previous story. I loved seeing the other characters again. 

What threw me a bit was the supernatural angle. I wasn’t really expecting it, though I shouldn’t have been surprised. It fit the story. 

The characters are well done, they make the story and I was glad to see that the story didn’t just focus on Jesse and Taryn. There is a solid cast of support characters that make the story and fill it out. I absolutely loved Jesse and wanted to install a filter for Taryn, cause she needs it when she’s drugged but who is also a strong woman who kicks butt! I do so love me a good, strong independent woman who makes the sheets go up in flames at the right times!  

Then there was Merlin….wicked cool! 

So to conclude: GO PICK THIS BOOK UP!  



----Note from B:
I seem to have misplaced Lis' pic, so here you go ;)
I fear the pic went missing in the The Great Photobucket Purge of images I can't use of 2012

Jesse Mohr longs to reunite his adoptive mother, Reed, with her child she gave up for adoption years ago. Taryn Campbell is about to embark on the expedition of a lifetime, trying to decipher the cryptic archaeological clues left to her by her now deceased father. When Taryn learns her true identity, will she accept it or fight her fate?

30 comments:

  1. LOL! I like Lis' new "picture"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lis was here....funny. Well I think it is cool that this book threw you a curve ball with the supernatural,twist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've come to really appreciate Leigh Morgan's writing. It's good!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lis! You look so lovely now, it is clear travelling suits you! ;p Nice to know you are still alive and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yeah, despite the heat waves and the floods! It does wonders for one's looks.

      Delete
  4. Ok the cover is yum and welcome back Liz. Great review, i need to check out book one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do. This book is really underappreciated!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back Lis. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lis, great to have you back on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha 'Lis was Here' simply hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when characters are solid and the writing only magnifies them.
    Glad you enjoyed.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it doesn't happen as often as I like it too!

      Delete
  9. Oh it sounds interesting, you always have many books I don't know anything about, it's terrible! Well you got me with Merlin lol, I'm curious to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do pick it up, you won't be diappointed!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good read and I'm truly digging the end signature! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lis for the wonderful review. Getting buzz is a tough thing these days, but you have certainly helped. I hope that all of your followers enjoy this book as much as you have. I'm having a lot of fun with these stories and especially the characters. Book 3 should be out the end of October, and if you like this cover......just wait.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP