Friday 3 August 2012

Review: I Own the Dawn - M.L.Buchman

I Own the Dawn
Kee Smith battled through a difficult childhood to work her way up the ranks of the U.S. Army. When she finally makes it into the elite Night Stalkers, she feels thrilled, honored, and vindicated...until she finds out she's been assigned to the "girlie-chopper" piloted by the only other woman in the regiment. 
Kee is determined to show Lt. Archie Stevenson, one of the male co-pilots, that she is just as tough as the guys. Throughout their special mission, Archie doesn't know whether to make love to her or plant her face-first into the dirt. But he'll do whatever it takes to break through that shield Kee wears around her heart.

My thoughts:
It has been so long since I read romance with a bit of suspense in it, I do not know why really since I enjoy the subgenre. Even if this was more military romance.

The book is not so action packed that you might think at first glance, there is of course action. But it's also of course about the tension between Kee and Archie, the budding romance and, well I can't tell you that. Another part of the book is "a project", so not to spoil it all. It shows Kee's soft side and we get under her skin. I got to appreciate here and the whole "project" is more drama, so no suspense there. I know, I am being very vague.

Then there is the action part, and that part actually had me a bit sad too. I understood the bad guys and their mission so I was on the fence. It was a sad affair.

The characters then, Archie was sweet, Kee was tough, but they worked together, they just worked and I liked them both. This is actually book 2 in a series but that does not matter as Kee is the new girl and this is her book. But the pilot of the chopper she is on had her own book (book 1). Which does sound like an interesting story to read too.

There was a nice mix of action and romance, quiet life, and how fast you have to move when you are in in the danger zone.

Conclusion:
It did make me want to read book 1 too. This was a  romance set in the Afghan desert, 2 soldiers falling in love in the midst of gunfire and smoke. Romance with an action packed side to it, smokin' hot.

Cover:
I like it even if their heads are chopped

Series: The Night Stalkers #2
Genre: Romantic suspense /military romance
Pages: 416
Published: August 1st 2012 from Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review


28 comments:

  1. *big sigh of relief*

    I picked this one up yesterday so I am super glad that you liked it :) I picked up the first one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice mix of romance and action. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember having read a military romance subgenre book at all... maybe I ought to try it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think I have read one either, since this was not really rom sup, lol, oh those subgenres

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have thought there was this much romance within it. Hm... curious now. I haven't read a military romance (well, where both are in the military) yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was, I was surprised too, but in the best of ways. Sure they flew out, but the romance was more important

      Delete
  5. *doing a little TGIF dance*

    ReplyDelete
  6. “I like it even if their heads are chopped.” Ha! I thought this was a spoiler to the plot and what a departure it was from traditional romance! Then I realized it referred to the cover. The book doesn’t sound as interesting now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! If that would have been the case then this would not have been a positive review ;)

      Delete
  7. Ugh, the lack of heads annoys me everytime. lol. Sounds like one heck of a book. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to see more of the faces, but it kind of works here, you see enough

      Delete
  8. A nice mix of romance and action sounds great. Glad that you enjoyed.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, you sure made me curious about the book. I don't believe I have ever read militairy romantic suspense before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a first time for everything :)

      Delete
  10. I like the cover & that it has action in it! Who doesn't love a bit of action, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love action :D So it's good on all fronts

      Delete
  11. ok now I'm curious to read your opinion about book 1. It's nice to have a romance/action book, I like it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think book 1 might be good too, cos we saw the peeps around in this book and they were something else

      Delete
  12. Yes! I love romantic suspense with a lot of sexual tension between the characters. I'll have to add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the nice review and all of the kind comments! As to having their heads cut off, the part that thrills me is that they actually look like my characters, gun-totting and helicopters aside. I had a friend who wrote a gritty, detective, 2nd chance romance for a couple in their 40s, and she got a pair of scantily clad 20-somethings on her cover. I find this one to be great, even without such a comparison. :)

    As to military romantic suspense and not having read one, what shocks me is that I wrote one! I've written SF/F & a thriller, a couple of historical romances that were okay, a contemporary that's selling nicely... and then I got jumped one night by the "Night Stalkers" series. It required an immense amount of research to try and make both the settings and the characters realistic, but they held me at bay until I wrote their story, and it turned into my first national sale. You've gotta watch out for those characters. They're sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the look of them too, cos it does look like Kee, sure I do not see it all but that which I see looks like her :)

      Delete
  14. Military romance..sounds dangerous!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP