Tuesday 21 August 2012

Review: A Lady can Never be too curious - Mary Wine

A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious
Janette Aston is fascinated by all things scientific, and couldn’t care less that her thirst for knowledge is regarded as unladylike by Victorian society. Enthralled by the Illuminists, a group of individuals committed to scientific discovery, she sneaks into their headquarters and is caught by Darius Lawley, an Illuminist Guardian. The attraction between the two is instant and magnetic. 

When the Illuminists realize Janette is a rare Pure Spirit who can harness the power of crystals, she’s targeted by a rival society, the Helikeians. It’s up to Darius to protect her for the sake of science and love.

My thoughts:
This was a bit of early steampunk. Dealing with crystals and a secret society that most look down upon. So they are not secret in that sense but they do not let people in.

The heroine Jeanette wants more from life, society is strict. She wants to try and wear pants, study and just be free. The Illuminsts are everything she should not want to be. She was a free spirit and I liked her courage.

Darius is a guardian and looks after his fellow Illuminists. I was a bit on the fence about him. He clearly wanted her, but he did not trust Jeanette and still he did little Darius do the thinking and it just did not feel right to me. So even though he wanted her..I dunno, I did just not warm up. He was so not trusting her and there was one thing he said that just made me angry. He should have known better. But Jeanette at least liked him so I can forgive.

I most also mention that there were these two side characters that I liked together so I hope they get a book and if so then it will be thrilling. That one I could like more.

I did feel there could have been, well more of things. But as it was it was a good book. The crystals were cool butI would have liked to learn more.

Conclusion:
There is action, romance, passion, creepy bad guys and wonders to see.

Cover:
Good

Series: Steam Guardians #1
Genre: Steampunk /romance
Pages: 320
Published: Aug 7th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review


50 comments:

  1. The cover and title I like, but I'm not so sure about the book itself. I'm sure my wallet will be relieved! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am sure it will be relieved too. I wish I would win tons of money ;)

      Delete
  2. Oooo steampunk! I'm such a fan of this genre:) I love when there are really great side characters as well, so this is going on my list! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so liked the two side characters that I hope will fall in love..ok so I liked the heroine. The guy...I can't say more

      Delete
  3. great review, i passed on this one b/c i've read books by this author before, and I didn't like her heroes at all. way too mean, not anything 'romantic'. sounds like it's the same in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think of that but yes I have read her books before and sire her heroes were perhaps like that..but I liked them then ;)

      Delete
  4. Kind of frustrating to like a book but wish for more (not in the usual sense).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I just want more details sometimes

      Delete
  5. Mmm nice review, I would like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh cute cover! The guy seems a little awkward though hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he is thinking, oh no! What is she getting up to now?

      Delete
    2. perhaps that or...."why am I wearing this odd pair of goggles" lmao

      Delete
    3. Lol. Or perhaps it has to do with the clock, it's hammertime

      Delete
  7. I know I'd want to know more about those crystals as well. Still sounds entertaining enough and I do like steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And at the end something really interesting showed up..but perhaps that will be saved for book 2

      Delete
  8. This sounds good, I need to read more steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The side characters sounds fascinating, esp if you want another book with them, glad to hear you enjoyed.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love good sidecharacters, and there were actually two "couples" that i want books about

      Delete
  10. Hmmm, a new one to me, and steampunk to look into. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was on the fence about this book, still not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was something that made me unsure too, mostly how they interacted

      Delete
  12. I actually picked up a steampunk book the other day!! You would be proud of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did!? YAY :D I can't wait to see you read it

      Delete
  13. I think the guy on the cover is smirking at me. ;) I don't know...I haven't tried Steampunk yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read Steampunk in romance before, might wait for the side characters to get it on lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't? It's kind of all I have read ;)

      Delete
  15. I really enjoy a good steampunk. So how creepy are the bad guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, well they are just idiots, it's not that they are scary creepy. It's just that they believe and they will kill for it

      Delete
  16. "little Darius do the thinking" - Oh, these are the reviews I live to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am glad you enjoy my little ramblings

      Delete
  17. It sounds like this one could have been more developed. Sounds cool though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing with me is that is always what I want

      Delete
  18. sounds good though but there must be better outthere i think. i will ponder about it. i\m falling in love w/ steampunk. gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a lot of steampunk cos there are a lot out there these days :)

      Delete
  19. I think my biggest issue with steampunk is the gadgets/world are often more developed than the characters. That drives me bonkers. On the other hand, I want to own all the books because of their covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, well it was not a fiercely gadget kind of world

      Delete
  20. I didn't know this one but I like the sound of it. I don't think I've read a stempunk book like that yet. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my steampunk, it's a nice subgenre :D

      Delete
  21. I've never read steampunk, so I have no idea what to expect, but this one sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never..ever? Well there are lots of kinds, western steampunk, zombies, you name it

      Delete
  22. I love the cover and title, but I'm not sure if I'll actually read the book.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP