Wednesday 8 August 2012

Review: Marrying Up - Wendy Holden

Marrying Up
Beautiful but broke student Polly and scheming social climber Alexa may have grown up in the same place, but they couldn't be more different. Polly's just fallen for Max, a handsome country vet. But Alexa can't be bothered with love—any guy with a pedigree will do, mind you, as long as he comes with a title, a mansion, and a family tiara.

Alexa wiggles her way into friendship with Florrie, a clueless aristocrat who could support entire countries with her spare change. Suddenly the grandest doors swing open for Alexa, and a new life is so close she can taste it. Polly could care less about Max's money, but his mysterious habit of disappearing scares her. What's he hiding?

My thoughts:
This book was silly and funny. The silly comes from names used here and there, oh those British peers have strange names. And there were more things too. But it worked and it was charming.

The story itself is about Polly, the nice and sweet girl who you have to like. She is specialized in toilets, that is her field in archaeology. She meets Max, a really sweet guy too who is a vet, but he has secrets. Now what can those secrets be?

The other POV is Alexa, first I found her amusing, then she was pathetic and then she turned into one big B#¤%&. She was a golddigger with a big G, she wanted money, she wanted a title. But in the the end she was pathetic and miserable. The last 100 pages I gritted my teeth and wanted to smack her over the head. It got scary there for a moment. And then I do not mean scary as in ohhh danger! But in scary because she is not nice in the end.

Silly, fun and a cute little Cinderella story. One thing though, they were all so young, 18-21. I would have wanted the bunch a bit older. Now I just couldn't take it seriously all the time. But like I said, it was funny and silly.

Conclusion:
A nice little chick-lit book with a Cinderella twist to it.

Cover:
Cute

Genre: Chick-lit, contemporary romance
Pages: 400
Published: August 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark
Source: For review


38 comments:

  1. This does sound silly and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you - I'd want them to be older. The book still sounds cute, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just felt so young, and they were so serious and wanting to marry and .

      Delete
  3. A golddkgger b'yotch!
    well I hope she redeemed hersel in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I can't tell you, but oh what a b'yotch she was!

      Delete
  4. I like silly and funny at times. I wonder how you specialize in toilets? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover sort of looks like cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, 18-21 seems young - but that's probably because I'm not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make we want to read everything you review because I am now dying to learn what Alexa did to make you mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I am NEVER gonna tell, mouwhahahahaha

      Delete
  8. I tend to enjoy older characters in these kinds of books, too, but it does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww, sounds cute! Usually in stories like these, I do like the characters to be a wee bit older. Like 25-30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In HR I can take it, but this is modern times and it just felt..weird

      Delete
  10. Sounds cute but yeah I'd like the characters to be a little older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I didn't mind, but yes it would have felt more real

      Delete
  11. Well it sounds like we know who gets a prince in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh a Cinderella twist. :D I like that added in. :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. She specialized in toilets? Now, that's something you don't see everyday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, well everyone poohs so should be things to study..haha

      Delete
  14. Sometimes I need silly and fun. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds super cute. Perfect for summer? Alexa sounds kind of scary to me and I haven't read the book. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was scary, in the end. That girl had issues

      Delete
  16. LOL now that's something new, specializing in toilets. I like fun but not sure this one's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say it would be for me either ;)

      Delete
  17. that is different that they were all so young. i read 'beautiful people' by her and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first book by her, but yes some were 18 even

      Delete
  18. I like chick lit for the most part...might have to read more about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a YA chicklit. And still kind of fun. Thanks for the review, I will put this one on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was adult. but yes it could just as well been YA

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP