Monday 27 August 2012

Review: The Shifting Price of Prey - Suzanne McLeod


The Shifting price of prey
Sometimes a bit of magical help might cost more than you bargained for . 
London is hosting the Carnival Fantastique, and Genny's job has never been busier or more fulfilling. Only not everyone is so happy. The fae are in trouble again and Genny learns the mysterious Emperor may have the solution they need – if Genny can find him.

Genny needs help. She turns to the vampire, Malik al-Khan, only to find he’s wrestling with his own demons. Genny’s own problems are about to multiply too. An old flame arrives with a tragic situation, just as the police request her urgent assistance with a magical kidnap. Is it all unconnected, or can the Emperor help her solve more than the fae’s troubles?

My thoughts:
Did it end with a cliffie? Yes and no. It made me scream for more, but no one was falling off that cliff. They were just close, and getting closer. But that does not mean anyone will fall down. But you get idea. This book makes you crave more. Of course I told the author how evil she is ;) The best authors always are. They make delicious cliffhangers, not irritating ones. And she does know how to write a book.

Genny is like Genny always is. Lusting over Malik (you and me both girl!), misses Finn as he left (I never lusted after him anyway so no worry for me there), and trying to solve cases. And there is Tavish too, oh I can’t help liking him too, sometimes even more than Malik. It must be what he is all about, luring people down into the river and drowning them. Anyway enough with the men (like I could get enough). Seriously the attraction is oozing out of the pages in this one. There is this build-up, both good and bad for Genny.

Creepy Autarch is back, and new player. She must find the Emperor to finally crack the lost fertility of the Fae. This is not easy. And we get more that we bargained for. I shall not spill it all, but it’s good. And again poor Genny. She does not have any easy job.

And how about those revelations in the last book! Wow, messed up. This is the series to read, wicked vampires, lots of nice and bad Fae. And a heroine that has to tread carefully between the different worlds.

Conclusion:
Recommended to all!

Series: Spellcrackers #4
Pages: 534
Genre: Urban Fantasy
To be published: August 30th 2012 by Gollancz


42 comments:

  1. Gosh you find the best UF series and I always feel like I've been living on another planet..i love UF..and this sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try my best ;) Honestly I read tons of reviews and try to decide and then suddenly I have too many good ones

      Delete
  2. I do like a delicious cliffhanger. This sounds like a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I finish or get to a point in the Anita Blake series, I should check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cover: Hmm, whatever they were trying to convey with her hair position (movement? wind?) didn't really work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always remind me ;)
      Yes I guess it's a windy day in London

      Delete
  5. I have the first in this series on my kindle! So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's drowning people? I can see that can be really charming lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you. I was so happy to meet Batien! And yes Team Malik! I think each new book is better and I always want more and more. great review darling, glad you thought the same things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want the next book! I mean...you know, and then that...

      eeeeeeek

      Delete
  8. I'm guessing I need this one too. I have the first 2 on my tbr and haven't gotten to them yet. I'm glad there isn't no big cliffie so I think I can handle it. Usually those don't bug me as much as the huge cliffies. Yep, me needs this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You truly must start it and fall in love ;)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like quite the amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you and me both! This book had the same effect on me. And I do love Tavish too. I think it's the greenish skin and dread locks LOL

    Loved this series soooooo much <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tavish is just so mmmm, he just is :D Maybe cos he is strange, while good old Finn was just that, good

      Delete
  11. You must slow down!! I can't keep up with all the series goodness you keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the first two of this series or maybe just the second but I've been hesitant to read it because I've seen mixed reviews. I'm definitely going to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can't know before you try it ;) And since you got two, then you have nothing to lose

      Delete
  13. Ahaha! I felt the same. Not falling off the cliff but close. Yay for no cliffhangers, and team Malik all the way :D Great series and great review, Blodeuedd. Also don't you think that Finn is a bit simple? He made so many dumb mistakes, I wanted Genny to tell him to eff off once and for all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, he does seem simple, especially after this one! I just wanted, well the same thing you want. Go eff yourself Finn

      Delete
  14. Thank you for reminding me about this series! I've been meaning to read it for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dang, this is another series I've fallen behind on. I need to get caught up with it. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catch me if you can! :D You can you know, the next wont come out for quite some time

      Delete
  16. Great review! So many different series out there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review Blodeuedd, I have to read book 3 first, but that will be soon. I did notice that book 5 is way more expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 5? Well just read book 3 first now :)

      Delete
  18. I did lose my count. Maybe I read it maybe not. I know this series and I suppose I've read the first three books...or were they four? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never heard of this one before but it sounds like a really great series! I'm particularly curious Tavish and his need to lure people into the river and drown them. Seems like he would be a hard character to like, but that's obviously not the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he is not a baddie, lol, poor Tavish. They are all Fae and he is the kind of Fae that used to lure down peeps and drown them

      Delete
  20. I haven't read this series but heard good things about it. I just need to find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must must read it :D And you know there is a vamp who is from Turkey

      Delete
  21. I have yet to start this series, but it sounds edgy!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP