Thursday 16 August 2012

Review: Sparks - Laura Bickle


Sparks
Anya Kalinczyk is the rarest type of psychic medium, a Lantern, who holds down a day job as an arson investigator with the Detroit Fire Department—while working 24/7 to exterminate malicious spirits haunting a city plagued by unemployment and despair. Along with her inseparable salamander familiar, Sparky, Anya has seen, and even survived, all manner of fiery hell—but her newest case sparks suspicions of a bizarre phenomenon that no one but her eccentric team of ghost hunters might believe: spontaneous human combustion.
After fire consumes the home of elderly Jasper Bernard, Anya is stunned to discover his remains—or, more precisely, a lack of them; even the fiercest fires leave some trace of their victims—and she is sure this was no naturally occurring blaze. Soon she’s unearthed a connection to a celebrity psychic who preys on Detroit’s poor, promising miracles for money. But Hope Solomon wants more—she’s collecting spirits, and in a frantic race against time, Anya will face down an evil adversary who threatens her fragile relationship with her lover, her beloved Sparky’s freshly hatched newts, and the wandering souls of the entire city.

My thoughts:
First of all, I should have written this one when I finished it, but I was shocked that there are no more books! I want more :/

Anya is back, being her cool self, investigating fires, keeping track of her guardian/pet Sparky and being in a new relationship. She is always so cool, not kick-ass, just cool. She does not bring a katana to the table, but she can suck in ghosts. And that gives her heartburn.

There is just so much to talk about, so much more it could be. But there are no more books at the present. And I do find that sad, because this world has so much promise. Like what is her connection to Ishtar really? And..something else that I found out and really want to know more about. But for now it ended well, they could all be happily ever after. So no cliffie or so. But yes, more things are hidden, more things could be told. And I hope they are one day.

Conclusion:
For now, just read these two books and enjoy a different UF with a ghostsucking heroine and the coolest of side kicks, Sparky, the electricity eating salamander. 

Series: Anya Kalinczyk #2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 368
Published: 2010 by Pocket
Source. Own


44 comments:

  1. electricity eating salamander....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she the one who writes another series under different name? Yep, I've got her first book in another series - Dark Oracle by Alayna Williams. Great review, I sure like proper kick-ass girl, and I love her surname! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup the oracle series :) I really should check that one out too as I like her style

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read this series for a while now. No more??? I hope that isn't true, but it will at least allow me to catch up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more :( just these two. But they do end so you can live on..but at least one more, pleeeeease

      Delete
  4. Maybe there will be a 3rd one???

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh no...i loved Embers and have this one on my wishlist. I wonder why? UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least when you have read this one you have finished a series and that is always a good feeling..and a sad one

      Delete
  6. How sad that there is no more books. Is this because another book is not planned or because you have to wait till the next one comes out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the publisher did not want to publish any more books, it happens :/

      Delete
  7. This sounds good! I really do need to start in Embers any day soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound like a good book but I'm hesitant to read it if the author isn't continuing the series. This requires some investigation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's more that the publisher decided not to. it has happened to other series I have read

      Delete
  9. This is one of my favourite series and I was so sad to know that there won't be any more books. I adored Laura's writing and world building. As you say it's noce to have a cool heroine who isn't weilding a sword (although I love them too!). Plus Sparky is sooo cute! I want a baby one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a baby Sparky too! :D And yes I do love that she is not clad in leather wielding a sword..not that I do not love those heroines too

      Delete
  10. This series sounds like it was written just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You mean there's a series out there that doesn't go into perpetuity? That sounds unheard of and how ironic that it would be one that sounds like it should have more books to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A ghost sucking heroine and an electricity eating salamander? Now that is different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like different cos even if the same old same old formula works it's still nice with new

      Delete
  13. Oh I have both these books here! And SOOOOo need to get to them. :) Glad to hear they are good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never even heard of this novel, but it looks so good. And I mean, electricity eating salamanders. It's a must read, OBVIOUSLY! :)

    Also, how cool is that cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is very cool and so fitting the book.

      And the story, she did do well there

      Delete
  15. Almost Friday... *whimpering*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't hear of this book before but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't like book one, so I haven't read this one, but I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have both books on my shelves, and they will be read :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love salamanders so yes, maybe...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well something at least made you think maybe

      Delete
  20. I always get super depressed when I fall in love with a book or books and then realize there are no plans to turn it into a 30 book series. Okay, I might get bored after 30 books, but I would be sad to see a good thing over at just 2!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I almost want to read this just because of my last name: Sparks :)

    Yes I am an easy sale that way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh you know I haven't tried this one yet? Yeah I know I need to. It sounds like a series I might like as well. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I emailed the author about further books in this series too and was informed that the publisher wouldn't contract more books... I think it was the sales or statistics or something that helped make that decision... are they mad!! This series is megalicious!! If it wasn't megalicious, I wouldn't have Sparky on my header! Yes, it is sad that there are no more books in this series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And it's not the first series I have read that have gotten the axe. I just do not get it as so much crap is out there and then this one gets no more

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP