Thursday 9 August 2012

Review: Vampire State of Mind - Jane Lovering

Vampire state of mind
Jessica Grant knows vampires only too well. She runs the York Council tracker programme making sure that Otherworlders are all where they should be, keeps the filing in order and drinks far too much coffee. To Jess, vampires are annoying and arrogant and far too sexy for their own good, particularly her ex-colleague Sil, who's now in charge of Otherworld York. But when a demon turns up and threatens not just Jess but the whole world order, she and Sil are forced to work together, and when Jess turns out to be the key to saving the world it puts a very different slant on their relationship. The stakes are high. They are also very, very pointy and Jess isn't afraid to use them, even on the vampire that she's rather afraid she s falling in love with..

My thoughts:
I do not which genre to put on this, perhaps cos it just feels very British, and then the UF or PNR labels does not work. It's more than just that. It's more gritty, more real, less pretty. If you compare Brit tv vs US tv you know what I am talking about. It's a paranormal book with a bit of action and romance, Brit style.

The heroine Jessica can kick ass (but she is not a katana wielding clone.) She tracks down otherworlders who has moved out of the area they should stay in. She has a crappy lovelife and wonders about the guy she can't forget.

Sil, the one we soon understand is the guy she can't forget is a powerful vampire from the area. The vamps are all very pretty and stylish. But still they are different. The whole vampire comes to be after you have been infected and a demon lays it's seed in you and a baby demon hatches in your belly..yup not pretty at all. For that the vampires were different and I liked it. They feed off sex, blood and emotions.

There are other beings too, and the whole reason they are here are because of a portal that was opened and closed. Another thing that works since it changed the whole world. No world wars, but plenty of human vs beings wars.

Conclusion:
A different sort of paranormal book. The usual ingredients are there, but the taste is just more, lol, British ;) Not your usual kind of PNR UF.

Cover:
Not a fan of the face there

Genre: Paranormal
Pages: 288
Published: August 7th by Choc Lit
Source: For review
Kindle UK / Kindle US

30 comments:

  1. I love Brit tv shows so i totally get what you are saying. UF genre usually has a setting in a city..like Seattle or New Orleans. So since it is in York, this is probably a dark urban fantasy as far as genres go. It sounds really good, kind of reminds me of Royal Street. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did always want to try royal Street :)
      But yes then you know, there is just this difference and it shows here too.

      Delete
  2. I'm all for gritty! I love books like this that are a bit darker and feel a bit more real:) Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel more real, which is strange to say since it's paranormal after all. But it was just..well more real

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to the read the UF series by British author Mike Carey - I suspect it's a bit grittier than, say, Harry Dresden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it will be. Ok so this one was not that gritty. But you know US shows and everything is always pretty and shiny. Well here it felt more dark and dirty

      Delete
  4. Jessica sounds great! I like idea of different sounding paranormal too.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to mix things up now and again :)

      Delete
  5. Oh that makes me curious. Some of those Brit shows are so good. It also sounds more like UF to me if you have to categorize it. Oh yea... need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes it is more UF since no loving and hugging early on. Still it is more Brit UF, lol

      Delete
  6. oh nice to have something out of genres. I like the sound of this one I didn't know it at all, but I'll try to learn more. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like when it's different. Sure US UF is gritty, but still it's a more stylish gritty. And the darkness are more stylish too

      Delete
  7. It reminds me a little of the Anita Blake series...mhmmmmm, but I think I would like this herione much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horrible cover, and I would have gone right past this book if not for your review. I love British authors and I love gritty. Off it goes onto my wishlist! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like it could be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Different is definitely good. And I've never heard of this one. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good. I like your explanation of how a vampire comes to be...lol. Fun review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I prefer the method of being bitten than the method you described.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if I would like it a bit more gritty?? The Brits can write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gritty, I mean UF is gritty, but US UF is violent gritty and very Hollywood. This is messy gritty and real

      Delete
  14. Thanks for this one, a new author for me, and I like how this sounds. I do prefer British murder mystery series to the American violent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Midsummer murders cos it' so different than US telly :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP