Tuesday 25 September 2012

Review: Kiss of Steel - Bec McMaster


Most people avoid the dreaded Whitecapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries--no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel--or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.

My thoughts:
The steampunk aspect, well there was not much mention of it, except for a mechanical spider or two. The paranormal aspect, oh yes, that was there, and because of the steampunk vibes it felt much darker than usual.

Honoria is hiding with her siblings in a part of London that is ruled by the mysterious Blade. The rest of London belongs to the vampire council. And they are not good guys. But then they are the rules of England. Vampire beings who keep humans as thralls to feed upon. And humans pay taxes in blood. It's a darker world. It's a good world, and interesting world to read about.

Honoria is kind, too kind at times, she wants the best for her poor siblings. I liked her, I felt sorry for her, and I could respect her too. She could take back. Blade, our vampire renegade hero was, well let's just say he was alpha. Tough, and doing all to protect those within his realm. They are not a couple that should be, him bloodthirsty, and she not wanting anything to do with that world. But we all know the old story, passion is a sure thing when they meet. Even if they try to fight it. Some should just be together.

Conclusion:
An interesting world. A good couple and evil vampires that rot in the end.

Series: London Steampunk #1
Genre: Steampunk romance /historical paranormal romance
Pages: 448
Published: Sep 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review

31 comments:

  1. Hm... I have been curious about this one. I do think I need to read it. I don't mind when the steampunk is light and it's a series book since I figure it will come out more as the story moves along. Still... it's funny since the cover is SO steampunky (yes, it's a word... I just made it up!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes the cover is totally steampunky. And she sure does not dress like that, but it looks awesome

      Delete
  2. I heard so many great things about this one, I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder who the next book will be about..I have my hopes ;)

      Delete
  3. Maybe it's just me but I feel like a lot of steampunk is just a mechanical spider or whatnot thrown in.
    This one sounds pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's not just you. It's not the first where the steampunk has not been..well more. I know that some like it that way though

      Delete
  4. Sounds very good! And I like that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm guessing the cover fits the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you recognize the guy btw? He is one hottie

      Delete
    2. I don't - too many clothes. ;)

      Delete
  6. I just picked up a steampunk book today at the library!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this now, so I'll have to come back and read your review and compare notes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that you posted it, will be over soon :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds really good. Maybe, just maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review Blodeuedd, I like the premise, and the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How compelling is the story telling quality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I had a hard time putting it down, and the pages flew by. That is my answer

      Delete
  11. I have never read Steampunk novels but there are so MUCH out there that I really gotta try it sometime, soon.
    I love heroines that put their family as a priority. I love alpha males, too. :P
    LOVED your review, I will definitely be checking this book out!
    Your constant reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soma :)

      Oh I know! What to choose is the hard question, sometimes I just feel overwhelmed

      Delete
  12. love the cover! :D I feel like he's reaching for something up that leg of hers. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say I like my steampunk full of steampunk gadgets. I'm starting to see books classified in this genre but they aren't that full of it. Thanks for the thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel that they should not be steampunk as the elements are not that big in them. This felt more pnr. But yes more and more does that. I guess we have to call the gadget ones hard steampunk, lol

      Delete
    2. lol. I like hard steampunk. I think people are jumping on the band wagon hoping to get readers, but not really a solid member of the genre. Sad.

      We need to classify as: Romance, with steampunk tendency.

      Delete
    3. Good idea! More subgenres and then we will know

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP