Tuesday 11 September 2012

Review: A Place Beyond Courage - Elizabeth Chadwick


The early twelfth century is a time for ambitious men to prosper, and royal servant John FitzGilbert is one of them. But when the old king dies and his successor is appointed, John faces a terrible choice: he must join the rival faction-his enemies- or risk losing everything. His new wife helps him carry his burden, but his final choice will seal not only her fate, but those of his young children. 
As the fight for England's crown enters a new phase, John may be forced to make a terrible sacrifice...

My thoughts:
When I think of medieval fiction writers I think of Elizabeth Chadwick. She is the go to author for me and this was another great novel.

John FitzGilbert was the father of the more famous William Marshal. But this is John's book. He was King Henry II's marshal, he was young and went for what he wanted. I liked how he was portrayed, even in his darkest moments. Because in the end you can't know what he thought and felt and I felt what she wrote here was very possible.

His first wife was Aline, yeah, the less we talk about her the better. She was weak. His second marriage was a political one since he was feuding with his neighbor. So he out aside Aline and married Sybilla. Again this could have made me dislike him, but to save his children, his future and life it was just something he had to do. Life back then was not easy for women, but we all know that already.

The novel takes place during the civil war when Matilda and her cousin Stephen fights for the throne. And of course we got John in the middle of it all, trying to pick a side and stay alive. Not that easy in a time like that.

Chadwick is always so good with the little details. I feel like I am there over 800 years ago. It feels real. I am watching the story in my head while reading it.

And the things I learn, it was the Marshal's job to take care of the royal whores. Yes, he brought in new blood and saw to that they kept their standards. He did sample the wares too ;)

Conclusion:
I know that when I want good historical fiction then Chadwick's books are the ones to read. Medieval life comes alive in them.

Cover: 
Works

Series: William Marshal #1
Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 512
Published: Sep 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 2007)Source: For review

47 comments:

  1. This one does sound really good, glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Chadwick, but after this review I think I need to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read her books since I was..like in elementary school, lol, I went for the big books fast

      Delete
  3. This sounds awesome and I totally agree about Chadwick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read couple of novels by Chadwick and I totally agree with you. She is really good at what she does, plus she always has the most excellent book covers :) Glad you loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her covers, but then I love medieval images in general :)

      Delete
  5. Why haven't I read any of her books? I must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Elizabeth Chadwick too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't fan of Aline and I was actually glad he married Sybilla. And I like this new cover more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, she was such a timid little mouse and I felt so sorry for him. The sex was so horrid

      Delete
  8. OooH! I'm going to have to add this author to my wishlist. I love that you feel right there... while actually having indoor plumbing IRL. That is the way to time travel! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must read her books :)
      Lol, I do love indoor plumbing..and toilet paper ;)

      Delete
  9. I don't think I've ever read anything by Chadwick, but it sounds like I should.

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa, i did not know that was one of marshall's jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to read something by this author, as I love historical fiction that's full of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I never thought of reading medieval fiction, but I think I might like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know..it's like fantasy..only real, lol

      Delete
  13. I enjoy Chadwick's writing too. GGlad to know that she doesn't disappoint with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shame on me, I'm a big fan of historicals but have yet to read Elizabeth Chadwick. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes shame on you! ;=D
      There is just one way to fix that

      Delete
  15. Very interesting about Marshal and the royal whores...I guess someone had to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, you can't have every skank in the city around, you need class

      Delete
  16. I love good historical fiction so I must add this author to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So far I have resisted reading medieval fiction like this one, but I'll admit this one sounds interesting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no, do not resist. Resistance is futile!

      Delete
  18. The king's whored did it for me. I might try this one ;p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Dang, I did love that part, I amuse easily

      Delete
  19. It's always nice to have a good historical fiction author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am no usually a historicals fan. I am more of an urban fantasy girl, however I do read an occassional historical but I've never read Chadwick before. It might be worth trying her out. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love everything :D His fic speaks to my fantasy side too, so that is good. And i love this period in time

      Delete
  21. I haven't read too many books set in medieval times, but the ones I have read I've loved. I'll be checking out Elizabeth's books for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :D I hope you will like them, and she has a lot to choose from

      Delete
  22. I love Elizabeth Chadwick's writing and collect all her books, the covers are gorgeous. Still have to read this one though ... my bad lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never read anything by this author- but I do love a good HF book and this one sounds excellent. I will have to read something by Chadwick soon!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read Chadwick, she is truly wonderful :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP