Monday 19 November 2012

Review: The Oracle Glass - Judith Merkle Riley

Genevieve is a precocious girl with the remarkable power to read the future in a water glass. Left for dead by her family, she is taken in by La Voisin, who rules a secret society of witches that manipulate the rich—from tradesmen all the way up to the king himself.
Genevieve transforms herself into the mysterious Madame de Morville, rumored to be 150 years old. Driven by the spirit of revenge, Genevieve is on the verge of discovering true love when the police sniff out the secret network of poisoners and sorcerers. Genevieve races to escape the stake, unaware who will live and who will die in the wake of the King's terrible vengeance.

My thoughts:
It's a story about a girl from a good home, that is not really good. Her mother does not like her because she is deformed. So this girl transforms into the most sought after seer in Paris. What a Cinderella story. Ok not really. But she took life in her own hands and made something out of it. At a time when a woman should not be alone.

One negative thing about the book would be that it could have been shorter, like 150-100 pages shorter. Because even though it kept out the pace it still felt like it dragged a bit since it was so long. And I am unsure about the end. I can't say but, sometimes you know for sure, and sometimes you can just be 70% sure about something, mysterious, well yes ;)

A secret network of witches, poison, court intrigues at the splendid Sun Court. A world where you can tell futures and those rich enough to spend their money will believe every word you say.

Genevieve was a nice heroine, her mentor La Voisin a nice baddie without being crazy bad. She was just a big spider in a net. Then there was a tiny bit of romance, just a tiny bit late on as Genevieve became more popular.

Conclusion:
There are real historical characters in this one, including La Voisin. And the author mixes reality and fiction in a nice blend.

Cover
Eh, does not tell me much

Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 544
Published: Nov 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first pub 1994)Source: For review

44 comments:

  1. Interesting review, I thought about picking up this book but I don't know. Books that drag usually end up in a back burner for me and I hate doing that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dragging was not that bad, it just felt like less could have been said.

      Delete
  2. I'm starting this one next. Curious about the secret network of witches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a good mix of fact and fiction which is often my favorite with Historical Fiction novels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fact mixed with fiction is the best :) it gets so dry otherwise

      Delete
  4. I am intrigued by La Voisin (and her name means just 'neighbour', imagine that!). I would like to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did not know that, I never even checked it

      Delete
  5. O.o this sounds like one I would enjoy, great review and I kind of like the cover it's mysterious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is, still since most of it takes part in the city I would have liked that feeling

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a good read. Might have to check into it. Great review. I love your honesty.

    Kimberlee
    http://girllostinabook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh pretty cover! i like it when there are actual historical characters in books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The description of this book certainly sounds interesting but it doesn't sound like the ending really thrilled you, which doesn't make me want to rush out to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the end, it just..did not end. It was a HEA, but I can't know that it was one as it left in the middle of the way there

      Delete
  9. I've seen this around but never read what's it about. Sounds interesting and it would be nice to read about witches. And I quite like the cover, pretty but simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a just a cover snark ;) It does look good, but perhaps too simple for my taste

      Delete
  10. oh it sounds nice, I like the cover. You had me with "witches, poison"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good, but dragging. Oh noes. Still, it sounds interesting enough I may have to library book this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that it dragged a lot, it was more a feeling that it could have been..less

      Delete
  12. I like the inclusion of real historical people, makes it more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does and here we have some famous mistresses

      Delete
  13. Is it Friday yet?!?!?! Oh, wait, I only have to work through Wednesday this week. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's why I wanted to pick this book up, because La Voisin is a very interesting historical character who's done a lot of poisoning and Black Masses oh so fashionable! in Luis the XIVth Court. Thanks for your review, Blodeuedd. I think I'll still be picking it up just maybe not this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know anything about the poison scandal (but who am I kidding, pretty obvious they would all go after each other). And I did not know about the black masses either

      Delete
  15. Her mother doesn't like her because she's deformed? Mother of Year right there. Poor thing! Love that she then becomes the most sought after seer in Paris. Take that Mom ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learn at once that she was thrown at birth and later rescued by her dad. So yes her mum will not win any awards

      Delete
  16. I actually like the cover. I have this book on my agenda to read. The story line intrigues me so I'm glad to hear it was an ok read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review B, thank you. I do like this, enough to put it in my never ending wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure this one is for me, but I am intrigued by the inclusion of historical characters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooohhhhh sounds rather intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I quite like the sound of this one, although not sure I'm up for a chunkster right now unless it's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. If a book is going to be long, there has to be a very good reason. If there isn't a good reason, I don't read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was long cos historical fic is long but that is not a reason

      Delete
  22. I like the sounds of this one and it would be one I think I might like!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP