Thursday 8 November 2012

Review: A Royal Pain - Megan Mulry


Bronte Talbott follows all of the exploits of the British royals. After all, they're the world's most preeminent dysfunctional family. And who is she to judge? Bronte's own search for love isn't going all that well, especially after her smooth-talking Texan boyfriend abruptly leaves her in the dust.

Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and when she meets Max Heyworth, she's certain he's the perfect transition man. But when she discovers he's a duke, she has to decide if she wants to stay with him for the long haul and deal with the opportunities-- and challenges-- of becoming a royal.

My thoughts:
I do not where to put this book in a way, it's kind of chick-lit, meets contemporary romance meets romantic fiction meets neurotic New Yorkers (ok so not a genre but I could not think of anything else.) Sure it's funny at times, romantic at times, but there is much more too. 

The lovestory takes time, in all ways. It takes time for them to meet, to fall in love and more. I guess I was expecting instalove and a trip to England but no My Lord, that was not in the cards. There is drama, hardship and one woman that sure has a hard time believing in something. Which then makes it more than just a lovestory, it's about finding yourself so that you feel that you are worthy to be loved.

Oh and yes it's also about finding out if you are cut out to be nobility ;)

I do have to admit (it ends well, duh but..) that I did feel at the end that maybe they will have a few good years and then split up. I must be in a mood today.

Anyway, this was a funny and romantic story. Mix in lords and ladies, ad a couple that really want to be together, but have a hard time doing so.

Conclusion:
Royalty meets commoner, what is there not to like.

Cover
Cute

Genre: Romantic Fiction
Pages: 352
Published: November 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark
Source: For review

47 comments:

  1. I love the royal-meets-commoner storyline, it's fun to imagine that could happen to someone like me! I'm glad their romance takes time, I much prefer that to any kind of instant love/lust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want that to happy to me too, though no silly Duke. This woman needs a prince and some amazing castles

      Delete
  2. oh no a split? This does sound very interesting, and I love your new genre classification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am glad you liked my silly musings

      Delete
  3. Hm, you don't think they'll last? I'm intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt they had such issues getting together, they never stopped and talked. One always got mad, one defensive. Ha, no they will divorce after 10 years ;) I am horrid

      Delete
  4. I'm not quite finished with this one yet. i was surprised by how much romance there was! thought it was 'chick lit' lol. I like romance better though, so i'm glad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like that, and then it was..well not and I was unsure what it was :)

      Delete
  5. I'm actually not big on the princess type stories, but I really loved the review. :) I think you invented a new genre. LOL I also loved the comment about just a few good years. :D You so need to start writing one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well truth be told, he is only a Duke and related to royalty ;

      A book where they only get a few years, noooooooo, that makes me sad

      Delete
  6. Oh so many genres for a same book, it's so interesting! lol you were nice with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Melissa I don't like princess stories, they kind of annoy me and for some reason I am getting shopaholic vibes from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally not shopaholic. The thing is that it looks like chick-lit but is not. And it's not a Princess and Prince story either. It's just a mix

      Delete
  8. No instalove? Oh the horror. Lol.
    SOunds like an interesting hybrid of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so cute. I love this kind of story but I often wonder if the couples can really make it long term after the book ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course she means that they make it, but this was just me ;)

      Delete
  10. Neurotic New Yorkers and romance? This sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun and a little bit different by the sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...Friday you say? A nice position for a Friday then. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds fun but you think they split up? Buh :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even if they split up down the road, at least she had some fun with a duke. Not every girl is that lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does sound good, and fun. I'll think about this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the fun cover. And oh if only I could meet a Duke in real life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, if only :D The world needs more dukes

      Delete
  18. I saw this book when I was browsing and thought it sounded cute and you just confirmed that. I think this is one I may like.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading from your review, this book sounds good but not great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom find books great ;) Only fantasy and good fiction do that for me

      Delete
    2. I know exactly what you mean :)

      Delete
  20. Sounds completely adorable to me. I love the Royals!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was sold when you said the love story takes time. I'm old-fashioned that way.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP