Monday 10 December 2012

Review: Up Close - Henriette Gyland


How close is too close? Dr Lia Thompson has swapped her native Norfolk for a life in America, but returns to sort out legal matters after her grandmother's death. Unprepared for the viciousness of village gossip, she's vulnerable to insinuations that her grandmother knew something about the recent bomb threats against a nearby army base. Even so the longer she stays, the more she realises this is where she belongs.

Wounded ex-navy man and artist Aidan Morrell has accepted his physical scars, but is still bitter over the army's treatment of his older brother, which had a devastating effect. He expresses himself in his sometimes disturbing paintings and through scuba-diving, and sees Lia with her fear of water as a challenge. The attraction between them is undeniable. Should they dare to let the other get close?

My thoughts:
I kept wondering and wondering, yes this book brought me quite the mystery to solve.

Lia is a doctor who comes to Norfolk to settle her grandmother's estate as her mother refuses too. Yes drama at the beginning. Lia is smart, sensible, but with a few issues from her past.

Norfolk is painted as harsh, those who live there, well live there, they know the land. But it fits well with the story, because something is going on. Someone was watching Lia's grandmother, and did someone kill her? That is the mystery. Because strange things keep on happening while Lia stays there.

There is also a friendship that slowly builds, a friendship that might or might not lead to romance. Aidan has his own issues from the war, and there is secrets he is keeping too. Those I did figure out..after a while. I also liked how their story was built, there was friendship and something that could be more. It was real.

The mystery was good, so many questions and so many different roads to take.

Conclusion:
A good suspense novel, with a hint of romance.

Genre: Women's fiction, suspense, mystery
Pages: 369
Published: Dec 7th 2012 by Choc Lit

US Kindle / UK 

36 comments:

  1. Oh the mystery sounds interesting, I'm curious to see how this book is. I like to read a book like that from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not too much mystery, I mean it was but at the same time so much more, which worked well

      Delete
  2. Yeah for an intriguing suspense novel. This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like nice mystery and romance to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good story. I would have totally passed it up because of the cover. A bit too static for a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then it's not a mystery mystery, it's more. And I love that cover :)

      Delete
  5. I like the cover for a change. Very atmospheric and even a bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good mystery. Eerie cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love those :) I can live without the romance is the suspense is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds suspenseful and I love a good mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sound of this one. Nothing to crazy and sounds believable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this type of book and am always looking for something good to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that their relationship is friendship based first but there's the potential for more:) Sometimes a hint of romance is more intriguing than a super sexy relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the hint more, everything else is so quickly insta love and nothing more

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooooooooooooooooh. Mystery....I like it! Sounds rather like a complex mess, but in a good way. ^.^. Thanks for having my blog as Blog of the Month! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, no problem :D You have such a nice button too!

      Delete
  14. sounds good!! maybe not enough romance for me, but still good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was still romance..in a way, it had to grow

      Delete
  15. It actually sounds great, Blodeuedd, and your review only adds to the appeal! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only recently branched out into this genre and my incursions so far has been good... will have to take a look at this book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting..I hope it will continue to be that

      Delete
  17. new to me title, it does sound good :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP