Tuesday 15 January 2013

Review: Blooded and Full Blooded - Amanda Carlson


Jessica McClain was born the only female in an all male race. The only problem is-she's no wolf. Called a curse, a witch and the Daughter of Evil by the superstitious wolves, Jessica decides to fight for her freedom, at age nineteen, the only way she can-in the ring. 
When she's brutally attacked right after her fight, is it enough to finally earn her freedom off Compound, or will she be forced to endure the hatred even longer . . . 

My thoughts:
I usually do not care that much for novellas, because they always make me want more. And not in a good way. Instead it's in the too short! I need more! way. But here it worked, I felt that this could stand on its own and it did make me want more. This time in a good way.

It starts with a fight. Jessica is fighting for her life, she is human, he is a wolf. I felt so sorry for her as everyone (well almost) hates her and see her as the bringer of doom. So they bully and fight her. And she wants to get away.

It was an action filled novella that brought all the players to the table and I swear, I need so see some of these idiots die slowly and painfully.

Conclusion:
More please 

Series: Jessica McClain #0,5
Genre: Urban fantasy
Pages: 66

After living under the radar for the last twenty-six years, Jessica is thrust unexpectedly into her first change, a full ten years late. She wakes up and finds she’s in the middle of a storm. Now that she’s become the only female full-blooded werewolf in town, the supernatural world is already clamoring to take a bite out of her and her new Pack must rise up and protect her.

But not everyone is on board. The werewolf Rights of Laws is missing text and the superstitious werewolves think that Jessica means an end to their race. It doesn’t help when Jessica begins to realize she’s more. She can change partway and hold her form, and speak directly to her wolf. But the biggest complication by far is that her alpha father can't control her like he can the rest of his wolves.

When a mercenary who’s been hired by the vampires shows up to extract information about the newly turned werewolf only days after her change, they find themselves smack in the middle of a war and there's no choice but to run together. When it’s up to Jessica to negotiate her release against her father’s direct orders, she chooses to take an offer for help instead. In exchange, Jessica must now swear an oath she may end up repaying with her life.

My thoughts:
 The prequel promised something good and that it was. A heroine who is the only female werewolf in the world. There just are no females. Which means a lot of men hate her, and fear her. What a premise of a story, I like it.

Jessica is a PI (yes you know that happens a lot in UF), she did used to be a cop too, but got an a_hole after her. I so hated that guy. So now she solves crime and hides away from weres and the supernatural community. Because she is something that should not be. She is kick-ass, cool, but yes always trying to keep under the radar. Which is not easy.

In this book she transforms, yes she can actually become a wolf. Not good, the men will hate her more. People are after her, the pack is unhappy, the cops shows up and it's just none stop action.

There is also a bit of passion. I will not say more but it sure turned things around at one point. Lips sealed.

Conclusion:
I wonder what she will bring to the world, what is going on? The end was a bit of a cliffie and yes I want more. It was a very good start and I could not put it down.

cover
nice
Series: Jessica McClain #1
Genre: Urban fantasy
Pages: 322
Published: 2012 by Orbit
Source: My own

40 comments:

  1. Lips sealed? You are cruel ;-) You can't seal your lips when mentioning how things turn passionate! I'm rooting for Jessica already:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am cruel that is true ;) And my lips are very sealed. I shall never tell

      Delete
  2. I picked this one up yesterday when it was the Kindle Daily Deal! I can't wait to dig in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to pick this series up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these both sound good, and sometimes a novella is exactly what I am looking for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not happy when it comes to novellas but this one totally worked

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Blooded, but I agree with you on Full Blooded - it was pretty damn good. Read it in one go and even instalove didn't bother me too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes crazy instalove here, but I looked passed it since hey mates and all

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good novella and a cool book too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about novellas so I am glad this one was satisfying. Sounds like 'i missed out on the kindle daily deal... dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so so glad you enjoyed them both! Mainly the novella as I know it's difficult for you but I love this series and I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is hard, but sometimes they truly work :D Not often but sometimes

      Delete
  9. I like novellas if they are followed by a full-length novel. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time that does not work for me as I do not like theme enough to read more

      Delete
  10. Between you and Mel, I'm so going for this books. In fact I have both now, I just need to get to them. So glad you enjoyed them as well. NEEDS to get to them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have both? WOman what are you waiting for?! ;) Lol

      Delete
  11. So glad you liked these stories - I thought it was great and it feels like a long wait for Hot Blooded!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. slow, painful deaths!! You are so funny!! Love it and also your updates on FB with the last book in the WOT series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that book is just sp epic. It makes me angry and happy at the same time

      Delete
  13. Yeah, yeah YEAH!!! So glad you enjoyed these. I told you that novella was amazing on its own. I was totally blown away by it. And the novel followed through. :)

    Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy when it follow through :D And I am glad I got it since I won it, and could not dl it, that made me so angry at amazon. So I returned it for money and then bought it myself, which worked. So weird

      Delete
  14. These were good reads. I'm glad you enjoyed them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard about this series but I am not quite sure...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great reviews. I feel the same way about novellas, but now I think I will ACTUALLY read this one before I start the series. Cliffy??? I am giong to wait to get book two before I start these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 2 is out in April ;)
      And yes with some novellas I just leave it, but this one I read and for once I am glad I did

      Delete
  17. I completely agree with you, these books were good and I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. God the title is freakin' awesome. haha

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP