Thursday 3 January 2013

Review: Discount Armageddon - Seanan McGuire


Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity-and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city..

My thoughts:
A new series by McGuire, and of course I had to read it. But that also means that I compare it to her October series. It was good, but so far not as strong. Still will I buy book 2? Of course!

In this world there are monsters of every sort, but humans do not know. Who does know is The Covenant, a bunch of creepy fanatics who thinks it's God's Will that all monsters are killed. Whether they are cute innocent talking mice or monsters that do kill. But that does not matter as Cryptids (the monsters) are not meant to be. I like good bad guys, and creepy religious fanatics makes for good baddies. And I can hate them as much as I want.

On to our heroine, Verity Price. Whose family left the Covenant to protect innocent cryptids. She is a ballroom dancer (and bwt the costume she has on makes sense when you learn more about her job). She is kick-ass, nice, smart and has a home filled with mice. Oh I loved the mice! 

Her friend and cousin is a telepath (comes in handy), she meets a cute buy who is Covenant and who means to kill every cryptid in NYC (not good). Someone is killing cryptids and the chase is on. Non stop action, a tiny bit of passion and there you have it, our story.

Conclusion:
A nice beginning to a new series.

Cover
Awesome

Series: InCryptid #1
Genre: urban Fantasy
Pages: 352
Published: 2012 by Daw
Source: own

32 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice beginning and I like the premise.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it was :I I am curious to see what the next one will bring

      Delete
  2. I do like the cover! I think it is fun :)

    I am glad it was good and who know you may end up loving this series just as much once book 2 hits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so :D It was a good beginning and hopefully it will get better and better :D

      Delete
  3. That cover is pretty cool! School girl outfit but I'm sure she's more of a BA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She works as a waitress in a strip club ;) That explains it a bit hihi

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book. I haven't started her other series so I wouldn't compare...

    I didn't know a house full of mice would be a good thing. You have me so curious about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not telling but the mice are adorable, freaky and..haha creepy. Every good UF heroine needs a strange sidekick ;D

      McGuire never fails. I need her zombie books now

      Delete
  5. I haven't picked this one up yet. I'm glad you reviewed this one. I'll take a look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you introduced me to her OCtober book then I get a chance here ;)

      Delete
  6. Well, that's sort of a silly outfit for dealing with armageddon, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wear it :D I am sure bf would like it

      Delete
  7. I had to stop myself comparing, because this series is totally different. It's lighter and more comedy-like. Also I loved the Aeslin mice - what a genius idea, right? ;) I too will be looking forward to book #2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aeslin mice was a stroke of genius :D
      I really should compare cos as you say this is lighter

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this author yet, maybe I ought to try him/her out (he?/she?)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! Thank you for spotlighting me this month! You're a star!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I do want to get this one. :D And I still need to start the first book I have here of Rosemary and Rue. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read the October books!!!! I love those :D And Tybalt, sighs

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a cool start to a new series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really sounds good and I love the cover! I'd get the book for the cover alone and I'm not usually like that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I do tend to go for awesome covers too, I should not, but it just looks so cool

      Delete
  13. A nice new series! Does it mean that October Daye will be here not much longer? Who wouldn't like mice, though :) There were cats in the Daye series, now time for rodents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, cats and mice. Yes I see the theme here. Oh the mice were just too good. Love those little freaks.

      I kind of hope yes on an end of October, I hate to see a series go bad. That has not happened yet but if it continues and continues...

      Delete
  14. yes it"s nor October Daye but I loved this book as well, so curious for the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes :) And I want more of those mice, lol

      Delete
  15. Mice? Sounds really interesting though. I still need to read the October Daye series. I bought them but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really must read them, they are awesome :D

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP