Wednesday 30 January 2013

Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars - Diana Peterfreund


It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.

Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.

But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.

My thoughts:
When I heard about this one I knew I had to read it. A re-telling of Persuasion, and I do love that book. It did not disappoint.

This is a post-apocalyptic world, a dystopian society where The Luddites rule over the reduced and the post-reduced. Genetic experimentation went wrong and some kids were born wrong(The reduced) and after a few generations they did get birth to normal kids but they are still owned. It was a great society, ok do not get me wrong, it was a horrible society, it was just great to read about as I love when an author truly creates something good and well terrible. The world has crumbled, you can't travel across the ocean as you would get lost. Technology (high tech) is forbidden. God punished these people. As you can see, what an awesome premise. I do think it was the world I liked the most.

But ok on to the story. It followed Persuasion in some aspects (I mean after all this is a dystopian messed up society so everything can't be in there). I liked the story of how 18 year old Elliot meets her old friend Kai again. He was owned by them before he ran away. Now he has money and fame as the Posts are making names for themselves. The world is changing. Kai was a bit of an ass (as he should be), he was hurt and Elliott is trying to cope with her new responsibilities. As just as in Persuasion her sister and dad are idiots.

Conclusion:
A good dystopian book, great world, and a love story that even if not in the spotlight, surely burns inside of them.

Series: For darkness shows the stars #1
Genre: Dystopia / Jane Austen variation / YA
Pages: 402
Published: 2012 by Balzer and Bray
Source: Library

44 comments:

  1. Another cover that I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting, duh!
      Yes I like this one :)

      Delete
  2. hahaha I'm glad you had a winner finally. ^.^ I do so love Persuasion so I should check this out. Mhmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persuasion is the best and it was fun to see where they were alike..well kind of, very distant cousins ;)

      Delete
  3. Now that is a unique twist...Jane A. dystopian. I will have to put this on my maybe list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, when I heard about it I had to read it

      Delete
  4. Yay! So glad you loved this one, it was one of my favorite reads last year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder what the next one will be about. I must see if she has said something

      Delete
  5. Yay! Finally a dystopian you like - and even better one I've had my eye on for a while... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liked, sadly not love. Not like I liked the first part of Delirum and Wither, two series I ended up hating later

      Delete
  6. Oh nice; I love the cover I don't think I read a review bedore so it's nice to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Persuasion is my favorite JA but I'm not sure I can go to a "dystopian messed up society" lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of easy on the messed up. I mean it was messed up, but...oh I am going around in circles here

      Delete
  8. Okay, I've been wanting to read this one for the same reasons. Now that you tell me you enjoyed it so much I really need to get on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just adore Persuasion :D And a remake, of any JA book, is something I always want.

      Delete
  9. I wanted to read this last spring and never got around to it. I am happy to hear that the world building is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been more, but I was happy for now

      Delete
  10. This sounds really good. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, a good YA dystopian for you. :D Finally. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen...with book 1 ;) Then it goes to hell

      Delete
  12. I hated Kai for much of the book before having a complete change of heart-he was just too much of a jerk whereas I never felt that way about Captain Wentworth so that dismayed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, he was such a jerk about it, whereas Wentworth was a gentleman, still played her, but not being an ass about it

      Delete
  13. I have to say, I do love this cover, but it's one of those books that I would read only it accidentally falls into my lap LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get the library to buy it for me, as I did want it, but not enough to give it a chance and buy it. I get burned by dystopia series too much

      Delete
  14. Interesting - I might be tempted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah..for you my friend..I fear you would tear it apart

      Delete
  15. This sounds promising... I'm adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review and this one is actually in my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not a fan of dystopian, but glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, I love great, evil world building in this genre. And that its based on beloved Persuasion makes it even better. I want to read this one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The evilness is the best part! I want it dark, horrific, a future I would not want to live in.

      Delete
  19. Yep! This is one that I want to read big time!! I like the idea of this retelling but in a futuristic way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool. Sure it had it's faults, but I was happy for now

      Delete
  20. I'm picky about JA variations, but LOVE the sound of this one. And Persuasion to boot? I'm sold. Thanks B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Persuasion! I have never red a variation of that book

      Delete
  21. I didn't know this was a retelling! I haven't read Persuasion so I'll have to read that first just so I can get a feel for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read it either, but I have seen the movies..a LOT ;)

      Delete
  22. Can't go wrong, I love Dystopian & Persuasion!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP