Tuesday 29 January 2013

Review: Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver


After escaping from Portland, Lena makes it to the Wilds and becomes part of an Invalid community. Weak and grieving for Alex, Lena fights to survive. And then she fights her oppressors.
As the viewpoint shifts between Lena's time in the Wilds and the present day, which is set in Brooklyn, Lena transforms into a warrior for the resistance. In New York City, the grass-roots movement for a Deliria-Free America (the DFA) is gathering strength, and its leader, Thomas Fineman, recruits more supporters by the day. His son Julian--as-yet uncured--heads up the DFA's youth organization. Lena is tasked with blending into the DFA's rallies; she seems to be a supporter yet she is really a spy.

My thoughts:
I really liked book 1. I read it in a sitting and I liked the world. No feelings. Awesome premise. So of course I really looked forward to book 2. Sadly it went down in a flaming piece of pooh.

What went wrong? Honestly? Everything! First of all I spent the first chapters confused. Then that was settled but it still felt messy. See the book have 2 timelines. Then, when she is in the Wilds (yawn) and Now, when she is for some reason in the Resistance. Of course these timelines never met. The whole Now was just confusing.

So then we have that out of the way, the confusing bits. Let's move on to how the book was so freaking boring, blah blah blah. I could care less about anyone in the book or anything in this world.

Ok so this point is not the thing that made the book suck but come on! Yes love triangle. A freaking love triangle in a book where love is classified as a disease. Not to mention that I never felt it.

Moving on again, Lena was boring, not a good heroine this time around. Oh and do not even get me started on how she suddenly turns into a ninja or something. The whole last part was just a fail.

Conclusion:
The only good thing I liked in the entire book was the cliffie in the end. That was actually good. Even if so obvious.

Series: Delirium #2
Genre: Dystopia / YA
Pages: 329
Published: 2010 by Hodder
Source: For review

44 comments:

  1. Awwww sorry this one didn't work for you! I loved it even if I was a touch frustrated by the new love interest. Maybe Requiem will blow you away:) *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt silly, and so very very YA. Why the need?
      Perhaps..perhaps not. But I wanna know how it ends. With her saving all surely.

      Delete
  2. Cover is nice as well, I agree with Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAIT A MINUTE---the best part was the cliffie at the end? That does not bode well for landing on my shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT! If the cliffie is the best then I get really bad feelings

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I liked the first one... Sad day that the triangle didn't work out and it wasn't up to par.
    will go in with lesser expectations, maybe that will help?
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now when does a triangle ever work out? AND why introduce one in book 2?
      Yes go in with lesser expectations adn you should be fine

      Delete
  5. Wow that is pretty bad when the best thing about this "flaming pile of pooh" book is the cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bad, it was confusing, I hated it all

      Delete
  6. The only good thing was the cliffie????? Does not bode well for me. *cue mysterious music* Oh and flaming poo? ROFL! Have you been playing with emoji?

    Can I say I love this review? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *googling emoji* Oh...half gets it ;)
      I know, that was the best thing, a cliffie, I mean..that is just bad

      Delete
  7. Hmm, it does sound confusing. (Love the "flaming pooh" description. Hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird, I was so confused int he beginning

      Delete
  8. Ha..now I loved being in the resistance and hated the cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I loved it, it was just the only thing that felt like something ;)

      Delete
  9. lmao...."flaming piece of pooh." This is another series I was never interested in. I have Delerium and thought I would give it a try until I heard about the love triangle in book 2. I just can't even read them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Delirum cos I liked the concept, even if I had lots of questions. But it fell apart, I have the worst of luck with dystopia. This always happens!

      Delete
  10. oh no! I loved book 1 but haven't read this one yet. Now I'm just afraid to even start it in case it's not as good as book 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it wasn't. But for the read of my goodreads friendslist, well that is another story

      Delete
  11. You made feeling less guilty for avoiding this series, Blodeuedd :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was underwhelmed with this book too, but I will read the third book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to know what happens, even if obvious that she saves the world..but how?

      Delete
  13. Bummer. Sorry it didn't work for you. This is another series that hasn't called my name yet. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am yet to find a dystopia series where I like all books. It's bad

      Delete
  14. I have the first book but not got round to reading it yet...I think I'm all dystopian out at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeez lady...two bad books in a row. >.< I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :/ Luckily I did not read them after each other. Old reviews ;)

      Delete
  16. I read first book and liked it, but after reading so many bad reviews about this one I decided not to read it, your review only confirms my decision as a wise one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I checked what happens in book 3 I really stepped back. That one sounds even worse

      Delete
  17. Wow B, you really are on a YA kick, and now I really don't want to read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I had to read all of my dystopia books I wanted to read

      Delete
  18. Oh no, I'm not pleased to hear it wasn't all that good. This is another series I want to read. I have the first one on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First off, lol about "flaming piece of pooh".
    Sorry this one wasnt great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. bahaha you have such a way with words. I liked book 1 too but haven't read this one and now I'm just a bit sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am glad that you liked it ;)
      But maybe you will like it more than I did

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP