Monday 25 March 2013

2x Amanda Stevens: The Prophet and The Kingdom


Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town...…

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

My thoughts:
Omg, omg people! This book was so good. Yes I liked book 1 and it was so hard to put down but this one was even better! I started it and was unable to put it down, I realized that I had missed lunch and tore myself away for 5 minutes. I was utterly lost in this world and did not stop until I reached the end. The only thing stopping me from reading the next one at once is that I need to breathe.

The eerie feeling echoed through out the whole book. A creepy town, freaky things in the woods and questions needed to be answered. And the answers were just as creepy as the questions. What an atmosphere she builds!

I could keep on gushing. I even felt the urge to give it a 5. I know right, from me?! Crazy. I wont though even if it deserves it. I reserve those for books I will re-read over and over again. This one, well the eeriness is there, but now I know. So leave it at 4,5. Best book so far this year. It left me empty now. I have only one book left in the series and I will sad. Especially if it's not equally good.

Conclusion:
I recommend it. I love when a story pulls me in and refuses to let me go. I could not have torn myself even if I had wanted to.

Series: Graveyard Queen #2
Genre: Southern Gothic mystery
Pages: 376
Published: 2012 by Mira
Source: own

I am the Graveyard Queen, a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. My father passed down four rules to keep me safe and I've broken every last one. A door has opened and evil wants me back.

In order to protect myself, I've vowed to return to those rules. But the ghost of a murdered cop needs my help to find his killer. The clues lead me to the dark side of Charleston—where witchcraft, root doctors and black magic still flourish—and back to John Devlin, a haunted police detective I should only love from afar.Now I'm faced with a terrible choice: follow the rules or follow my heart.

My thoughts:
This book had another feel to it than the intense book 2. That one was eerie and haunted me. This one is more calm, but not in the good way that calm is. No it's more like being drugged and calm. Waking around in a mist.

“Never acknowledge the Dead. Never stray from hallowed ground. Never associate with the haunted. Never tempt fate.”
All things Amelia has done and in this book we see what it does to her. She is on the case to find a murdered, she associate with a ghost, and she is back in Charleston and can't stay away from Devlin and his ghosts.

Strange drugs, old magic and trickery. A Charleston where the darker side is shown. Amelia meets new friends, and new enemies and we get a few questions answered. But when the book ends, there is still so much left to be told and I was happy to read that Stevens is working in 3 more books. Things are yet to be told and Amelia will surely deal with the darkness that is gathering.

Sure it was not as good as book 2 but then that book was utterly amazing! It was because it was intense while this one had that weird calmness over it.

Conclusion:
A southern Gothic mystery. A series I recommend to everyone.

Series: the Graveyard Queen #3
Pages: 347
Published: 2012 by Mira


59 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this series! I loved the haunting atmosphere of the whole series as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing :D I am so glad when I read that there will be more

      Delete
  2. The Kingdom was amazing. That lake was so creepy!! I loved learning about Amelia's juicy family secrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all the juicy family secrets stuff, that made the book for me

      Delete
  3. I LOVE LOVE this series and I can't wait to have more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these books but The Kingdom is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That second book must be really good if you wanted to give it 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, book two sounds utterly brilliant! It's a shame book 3 wasn't quite as good, but it still sounds like it was a solid read and a good addition to the series on it's own:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so hard to compare when I had read book 2 and was all amazed still

      Delete
  7. The covers are very thematic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so with you! I love this series. Even when it doesn't shine as much as #2, it's still good. I can't wait for more in this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 2 is the holy grail, lol, it was just so good. I just sat there and thought wow

      Delete
  9. Wow! You really loved this! Isn't it amazing when a book makes you feel that way?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Melliane has been saying these are amazing too! Wonderful to hear! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so want to read this series but I need to get my hands on the first book. It sounds like an amazing series and I'm really looking forward to reading them especially after reading your thoughts on these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you get a hold one book 1. This series is so worth it, it's just different and I love that

      Delete
  12. Wow Blod. I'm adding these to my wishlist. Sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. O_o, it's on my library wishlist. What are you doing to me?!! First Fair Game, now this! At this rate I won;t read any books I bought this year and keep going through my local library... ;) Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they are just so good! So very good and therefore you need to read all of them

      Delete
  14. Glad you're enjoying the series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. *dances* Heck yes cupcake I read this for the Take Control challenge and loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :D I...hm, I can't remember if this was s Feb or March book ;)

      Delete
  16. Great reviews! I loved this series, so glad you did too. Did you know there's another 3 books to come ... woohoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that before being all sad on twitter afterwards and then I was all YAY :D

      Delete
  17. I've only read the first one and have been unsure about continuing the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 2 is def worth it! Book 2 was awesome

      Delete
  18. There is also a novella you can get on your favorite e-book retailer. And supposedly this has been optioned to be adapted into a series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that one :)
      And yes that would be so cool! I am keeping my fingers crossed

      Delete
  19. Southern Gothic mystery? Wow, mystery always been up in my alley. but a goth? I should probably try this ;p

    ReplyDelete
  20. "The only thing stopping me from reading the next one at once is that I need to breathe." LOVE this! I clearly need to pick this series up. Glad book two was so strong, and that you enjoyed book three (though it wasn't quite as amazing as #2). Lovely reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt any book that comes along in this series will be that strong ;) It was just that good

      Delete
  21. Great reviews Blodeuedd. I do want to read this series someday, but for now, just too scary for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay...you've convinced me...I have to read this. LOL I've had Amanda Stevens' books in my TBR for awhile. I always loved gothic mysteries so this would probably be a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY :D I am so glad to hear that and especially if you already got the books

      Delete
  23. Good to hear it pulled you in and the creep factor was high.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adored these books and agree with you on all points. I don't think I've ever been creeped out by a book as much as I was by 'The Kingdom.' I didn't enjoy 'The Prophet' as much but I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. I'm still waiting to find out what's up with the spider guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the spider guy..I do wonder...

      I hope book 4 will be awesome too and I can't wait :D Here I wish for fall before summer, lol

      Delete
  25. I LOVED this series (and sorry I am late getting here) ! I totally agree with you--a great recommend :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is one of the best series, so glad she is giving us more. I loved 1 and 2 was disappointed in 3 but am thrilled for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not as good, but still good enough for me. The setting was so different.

      Delete
  27. God I love it when a book draws you in that much. I haven't had a fantastic book like that in a while. *sighs* Great reviews and I simply am in love with both of those covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best feeling ever! And yes those kind of books do not come around that often in the end

      Delete
  28. I am so glad you finally read these books! I love this series and I am fascinated by all the cemetery stuff. I had Amanda on my blog last fall during Something Wicked and she was just awesome. I cannot wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was late in but I am also glad. Cos if I had read them before and then been left with the end in book 3, oh that would have broken my heart

      Delete
  29. Oh I am so writing this series down! Love books with creepy feelings, making be afraid to go to the bathroom at night. Thanks sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those are the best and the worst :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP