Thursday 21 March 2013

Review: The Emperor's soul - Brandon Sanderson

Shai is a Forger, a foreigner who can flawlessly copy and re-create any item by rewriting its history with skillful magic. Condemned to death after trying to steal the emperor’s scepter, she is given one opportunity to save herself. Though her skill as a Forger is considered an abomination by her captors, Shai will attempt to create a new soul for the emperor, who is almost dead. 

Probing deeply into his life, she discovers Emperor Ashravan’s truest nature—and the opportunity to exploit it. Her only possible ally is one who is truly loyal to the emperor, but councilor Gaotona must overcome his prejudices to understand that Shai’s forgery is as much artistry as it is deception. 

My thoughts:
This book was short, so very short, but that does not matter. I will in the end read anything by Brandon Sanderson.

In 175 pages he tells the story of Shai, who is a forger (do not make me go into details. She creates things, let's leave it at that.) She is in prison, and those in power need her forging. She is clever, insightful and very good at what she does. As the book is very short we see her hurrying with what she is tasked to do, cos else she will die.

The world building and magic is not laid out open as there is not enough time, but Sanderson still manages to explain what forging is and hint about an interesting world. Of course I would have loved to see it grow even more, to explore it more and about Shai. But we can't have it all, and I will take what I get. 

Conclusion:
It was an easy book that can be read in a few hours.

Cover
Well..it does look kind of cool

YA /fantasy
175 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by Tachyon Publications
Own


44 comments:

  1. Are there going to be more books, or is this short read it? Sounds like he would have a captive audience in you if he were to write more in this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems this short read is it. Now I hear that his other book was set in the same world. But of course that was another country and WHOLE other story.

      Delete
  2. From what I understand, it's set in the same world as Elantris - one of the few Sanderson titles I haven't read - so I imagine there's more world building involved there.

    Still, a good solid read that I enjoyed thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, I had totally missed that. Huh. Kind of cool that he took another country in the same world and went for it

      Delete
  3. I love the cover, but am on the fence about reading it when you say the author didn't detail the magic and the surrounding world. I like details. It helps create visuals that accompany whatever I am reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the book is really short, so it's more like a short sneak peak into this world. And the magic is explained enough, it's just that it could have been so so much more

      Delete
  4. I think the cover is very interesting. This sounds like a really good read. I am looking for something like Stormdancer so maybe this one would be a good read for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is short, so you will read it in no time and that can just be pure gold :D

      Delete
  5. Well, i like these kind of slow, and short books that take little time to devour.
    Might read this sometime since I will add it to my TBR
    your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. well like that it's perfect to read it between 2 books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waving or drowning?! That's how my week's been...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he is on my must read author list that I haven't read... yet. Yea, long list name, I know. :)

    Hm... must check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to try one of his books one day...he has a lot

      Delete
  9. Hmm, I've been curious about this one. For me, the cover doesn't work. But I do love Sanderson's work. And have wanted to get it but wasn't sure what the story was really about. Thank you! I do think I need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something weird about the cover, it looks like she has tentacles on her. Still it looks cool

      Delete
  10. Sounds good. Interesting cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful book that I will have to get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am yet to try any book by Sanderson. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a genre I read but the cover made me take a second look! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover sure has something strange over it

      Delete
  14. Short stories are great for read-a-thons, so I should def. add this to the list of short reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For that this book would be absolutely perfect

      Delete
  15. I like the sound of Shai's ability. I haven't read any Sanderson except for the Jordan books, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cool and very different ability

      Delete
  16. I am intrigued...and you will read anything by this author..that speaks volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a nice quick dose of fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to try Sanderson and this sounds wonderful! Short you say? Maybe it will be ideal to see if I like him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. I just adore that cover. I want to read this. Sounds good. :3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I really need to read this! I love Sanderson and this sounds like a quick, satisfying read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanderson is amazing :D I always want more and more and then more

      Delete
  21. I have some of his books to read!! I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have this one! I think I read a few pages, then I lost interest. I want to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP