Friday 15 March 2013

Review: Etiquette and Espionage - Gail Carriger


It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to Finishing School.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners—and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage—in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

Set in the same world as the Parasol Protectorate, this YA series debut is filled with all the saucy adventure and droll humor Gail Carriger's legions of fans have come to adore.

My thoughts:
I do not know what to write! I am really conflicted when it comes to this book. It was good, but at the same time that I liked it, I was bored.

Oh this is so sad. But I did not connect at all with this book. I was standing on the outside looking in. It looked fun, but I was not there.

I can't say what went wrong. It was funny, well-written, but at the same time maybe it tried to be too funny. Too witty, quirky, cool. Just too much. Or maybe it was that it was YA, and I either love it or feel disappointed. Never the middle way like with so many other books. 

By giving this a 2, well maybe it does not deserve it. I have given 3s to books that were not as good. But at the same time there was that not connecting thing. I just could not even if I tried.

Conclusion:
It should have been awesome, but sometimes a book does not work. And I do not know why when it still is a good book.

Cover Thoughts
Once again I forgot and Chris made me remember so ok..looks good but head please. Then again I saw the head and it did not look like a young girl

Series: Finishing School #1
Genre: YA / steampunk
Pages: 312
Published: Feb 5 2013 by Atom
Source: Own

54 comments:

  1. I like the colors on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking my daughter might like this one. At 13, she might be the perfect age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you spoke about it and I think I'll have to see by myself what I think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you have to :/ I just can't say anything really

      Delete
  4. It's hard when you don't connect with a book. I agree about the cover - definitely needs the head, and make it look like a young girl. Is misleading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the pic with a head I just looked,so not 14! Not even now without a head

      Delete
  5. My daughter's name is Sophia, though I may start calling her Sophronia, and see what she thinks. ;) Bummer this one didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I do wonder what she would think about that ;)

      Delete
  6. I've read many similar reviews as yours Blodeuedd so I don't think it's just you - apparently this book is rather a miss than a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? YAY ;) Honestly everyone on my GR friends list liked it and it just got me thinking :/

      Delete
  7. I love the Parasol Protectorate series, but I am not a huge fan of YA. I still want to read this and also pass it on to my daughter, just because I am a fan of the author and her steampunk world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Carriger, but YA so often fails for me. Here the failings were not around in the aspect I am used to but it still did not work

      Delete
  8. You know, I read the first book in Parasol and just thought it was average. I thought this one sounded fun, but Maja@ THe Nocturnal Library had the same reaction you did, so I guess I won't be reading it any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy that I am not alone. My friend list on GR sure made me feel like that. But it's just me then :)

      If parasol fell short..yeah then maybe not

      Delete
  9. LOL! I'm wondering if it was the YA angle that you failed to connect. I enjoyed it because it was so quirky. You don't get too many of those so I just enjoyed it. Sorry you didn't like it as much as I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not know. In YA books it's mostly the angst, drama and love triangles that bother me. But nothing of that here, so why no connection?

      Delete
  10. Oh I'm sorry it didn't work for you! I hate when I feel like a book should be a good fit for me, and it just falls flat. Sometimes it's just a chemistry thing, you can't explain it. Thanks for your honesty. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things just can't be explained, so true.

      I do hate when it happens, but it does

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of her books yet but I've heard good things about them before. Is this stand alone? I like the colours of the cover though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope there will be more in this series. But it's a stand alone from the other series

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I know you were really looking forward to reading it.

    I thought it was cute and whimsical but I did think it approached cute overload at certain points and I didn't think the characters were developed as much as they could of been. But I do think I enjoyed it more than you anyway but maybe it's because I really wasn't expecting to.

    Sometime low expectations are a good thing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure was :/ Ever since I heard about it.

      I should know better. Never go in with any expectations at all! Oh woe me, why do I never learn?

      Delete
  13. I liked Parasol Protectorate series, but I'm on the fence about this one, I'm not sure I will read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try it, anything more than that I can't say

      Delete
  14. I have this authors work in my TBR pile. Sorry this one wasn't all that great. I like the cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A friend loaned me this one. I'm excited to read it because I loved the Parasol Protectorate. I'll lower my expectations a little. Thank you for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes that's the right thing to do, go in with lower expectations :) I hope it will work for you

      Delete
  16. It is a shame, it sounds good but it doesn't sound like you were able to immerse yourself into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very sorry this one did not work for you Blodeuedd, especially as I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :/ I am still all bummed out about it. But it's not like I can something about it

      Delete
  18. I seriously need to start reading the series very soon. I got the first 3 books but actually dont have time to start!Hope to like it like you did ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually only this book is out, you are thinking of her adult series ;)

      Delete
  19. Oh well, darling, some books just rub us the wrong way! I'm sad you didn't like it but hell I seem to be not liking a lot of books with 5 star reviews lately too. Hope you enjoy your next one! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it did make me not wanna read the rest so that is good. I will save a few bucks there ;)

      Delete
  20. Oh no! And I thought it sounded so good too. Then again, I haven't read any of this author's books yet but I've heard her adult series is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like her adult books but these did not work at all for me

      Delete
  21. Aw, what a bummer as I know you really like the Parasol Protectorate books, don't you? Well, can't win them all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm bummed to hear that it wasn't as good as you had hoped. I'm a HUGE fan of the Parasol series but I was worried that I wouldn't like these...it sounds like I might be right. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts on it. I'll definitely wait to get it from the library before I read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read it, but I can't promise you anything as it failed for me

      Delete
  23. Oh bummer! Maybe the series will get better? I've heard another mention it was slower. But it is YA too...isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe..just not enough for me to buy more

      Delete
  24. Sophronia...I like that name.
    However, I will kindly bow out of not reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sad to hear it was boring at times. Sounds like a meh read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry it didn't work for you, but I think my daughter might like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For her, yes, it was quite the adventure

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP