Thursday 28 March 2013

Review: Left Hand Magic - Nancy A. Collins


Located on Manhattan's Lower East Side, Golgotham has been the city's supernatural neighborhood for centuries. Populated by countless creatures from myth and legend, the neighborhood's most prominent citizens are the Kymera, a race of witches who maintain an uneasy truce with New York City's humans...

Tate Eresby has accepted the unusual sights and sounds of Golgotham and made it her home. Unfortunately, a magazine has alerted trendsetting hipsters to its existence and they've descended upon the community-along with an anti-Kymera faction known as The Sons of Adam. The sudden influx of tourists escalates racial tensions to a boiling point when two Kymerans are murdered and rioting fills the streets.

My thoughts:
A series that got even better with book 2, I do love when that happens.

In this one things are heating up between humans and, well non-humans. Tate is in the middle of it all as she lives in Golgatham. Yes Tate, I do like her cos she is not kick-ass, neither is she a damsel in distress. She is just your average kind of human who loves to make things in her studio. She has a warlock boyfriend and she is very curious. Yes that puts her in trouble too. I do love kick-ass heroines, but it's a nice change to have someone like Tate. She also puts all her faith in love, because when things got tricky in Golgatham, well I would have left. It was scary there for a long moment of the book.

Oh look I made this short :D

Conclusion:
A great series, that I do recommend.

Cover: Good

Series: Golgotham #2
Genre: urban fantasy
Pages: 293
Published: 2011 by Roc
Source: Own

37 comments:

  1. Happy the series seems to be getting better as it goes. Thats a rare find. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, usually it goes straight to hell ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree this one was better, I really liked it and I'm curious to see what we will have next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know a 3rd book was coming ;) But then it has been long coming too

      Delete
  3. Hm... found another series for me, eh? So glad that the second is better. Now, I need to read the first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really nice, that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great new series. I love the cover. *puts it on my wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost Friday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree sometimes it's nice to just have an ordinary heroine who isn't kicking ass as long as she isn't getting her ass handed to her all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can hold her own, ok not all the time cos her opponents do have magic

      Delete
  8. Sounds good. It's unusual for the second book to be even better. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to read this series, I like what you write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a lefty, I find the title magical *winks* This does sound good and I am glad you are loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, then I guess this is the magic book for you

      Delete
  11. I love a series that gets better as it goes as well, there's nothing more disappointing than loving a first book and then having that love fade as more books come out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it has happened a lot, and every time I get so disappointed cos then book 1 is not worth much any more

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of this series but it sounds great. Especially when book two is just as good as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of this series but it sounds really good. You are bad for my wishlist. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for introducing me to yet another new series lol sounds like my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's definitely a nice change for those of us who read tons of UF :) and I'm glad book #2 is better. I will try this series, Bodeuedd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :D Oh I read way too many UF books. How will I remember all my series

      Delete
  16. I agree that it's a nice change of pace to have a heroine that doesn't totally kick ass, but she's also not helpless. Just a normal gal. Gives me hope that I might survive an UF book if I were thrown into one! :-) Definitely adding this to my UF wish list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes it did make me feel that I perhaps could survive a day or two ;) Not something I feel in other books

      Delete
  17. Oh so good to hear it gets better! :) I like the sounds of this series. Haven't got it yet, but do like the sounds of it. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Short, simple, but you made up for that with your opening sentence! Makes me want to check these books out!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP