Thursday 4 April 2013

Review: A Conspiracy of Alchemists - Liesel Schwarz


Eleanor “Elle” Chance is a high-flying dirigible pilot with a taste for adventure. It is 1903, and the world is divided between light and shadow. On the side of light is a wondrous science that has transformed everyday life by harnessing magical energies to ingenious new technologies. But each advance of science has come at the expense of shadow—the traditional realm of the supernatural.

Now two ancient powers are preparing to strike back. Blood-sucking immortal Nightwalkers and their spellcasting Alchemist allies have a plan to cover the whole world in shadow. 

But when they come after Elle, they get more than they bargained for. This enterprising young woman, the daughter of a scientific genius, has reserves of bravery and determination that even she scarcely suspects. Now she is about to meet her match in more ways than one: a handsome yet infuriating Warlock named Hugh Marsh, whose agenda is as suspect as his charms are annoyingly irresistible.

My thoughts
I have actually never read a steampunk that takes place in the early 1900s, so that was different. Because new things were already on the move, but then this book also mixes magic and tech. The world is divided into Light and Shadow. Magic and new inventions. And things have gone wrong in the past when one side has grown too strong.

Elle our heroine was strong and a woman pilot. She went for what she wanted and got it. The hero, Marsh is mysterious and someone she comes into contact with when she is hired to bring a parcel to England. He is a warlock, she does not believe in that nonsense. He has secrets, she is annoyed by that. He wants to tell her something, she starts to fall. Yes you see my point, they are quite the pair.

These two will have quite the adventure as..things happens. Again I will leave it at that. There will be magic, bad guys, vampires, an absinthe fairy and flying.

I enjoyed the story. It was light and the story always moved forward with a good pace, and threw a few surprises too.

Conclusion:
The end was good too as it was a solid ending that I could live with. It did not end with a horrid cliffhanger, but still left a big danger still to come.

Cover
Cool

Series: The Chronicles of Light and Shadow #1
Genre: Steampunk
Pages: 375
Published: Feb 2013 by Del Rey UK
Source: for review

48 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of steampunk for the most part, it's always so creative! Sometimes I get lost in the technological aspect of it, but this sounds like a really solid story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want the technology to show, but yes not too much. Here it was a good mix, not too much but not too little either cos that bugs me too

      Delete
  2. I haven't read too much steampunk but what I have read I liked. I'll have to give this one a try it sounds soooo good. Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was cool, and there was something light over it too that I appreciated

      Delete
  3. I liked it too, just a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of steampunk, but this really sounds good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not too much and it was real so that was good

      Delete
  5. It sounds like it was fun! I wish I liked Steampunk more. I am trying a few more to see if it is just me and the genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to like sometimes, many books are too much and some not enough

      Delete
  6. I liked this one too it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the book's cover. Never read Steampunk before, though maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any steampunk but I love the era of this book. Glad you liked it. Great cover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does stand out and that is what I want

      Delete
  9. I am glad you liked it more or less - I am in two minds about the book. I've heard some bad things about the romantic story arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem..yes for you the romance would drive you INSANE

      Delete
  10. I have heard so many different reviews about this book that I wasn't sure, but now I think I'll give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh i just realized that i have read a lot of great reviews of this, I didn't recognize this cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a good steampunk. I'm so glad to hear that there is no cliffie. I can handle an open thread. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliffies to kill me...always. And this end was just so ended, but still open for more. Awesome

      Delete
  13. Nice to see that you liked it because I really like steampunk but dont read enough of it. Will have to add this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this one as well. I like the this cover much better than the U.S. version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this one better too, cos it looks so cool

      Delete
  15. Ooo, sounds like a great blend here. One I could relax with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really good and I like reading books in this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  17. *Happy dance* I am so glad you enjoyed this and glad we don't have to wait too long for book two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we don't? I should have checked better, oops

      Delete
  18. I generally love steampunk, as long as it is well done, and I've heard amazing things about this book. Can't wait to meet Marsh and Elle. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It was just so light, but still action filled and that ending was so good cos I am so over cliffies

      Delete
  19. The magic and tech mix sounds really intriguing as well as the female lead as a pilot

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed this one -- it was fluffy but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't read any steampunk..YET! Could be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool cover-that is not the one I've seen before. This book was okay for me-it didn't really work for me unfortunately and I'm not entirely sure what the problem was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just need light and I do think that helped for me with this book.

      But yes I hate when I can't put my finger on the problem

      Delete
  23. I've only read 2 steampunk, not a huge fan but it's growing on me :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP