Wednesday 17 April 2013

Review: Empress - Karen Miller


Her name is Hekat--
And she will be slave to no man.

In a family torn apart by poverty and violence, Hekat is no more than an unwanted mouth to feed, worth only a few coins from a passing slave trader.

But Hekat was not born to be a slave. For her, a different path has been chosen. It is a path that will take her from stinking back alleys to the house of her god, from blood-drenched battlefields to the glittering palaces of Mijak.

My thoughts:
Wow, this book has no heroine, instead it has a cold insane bloodthirsty bitch. She would cut you down for just looking at her. She puts the B in bitch. If I had read this book from another POV I would have hated her and hoped scorpions would feast on her heart, but as it was ..it worked. She was strong, ruthless, and the end, I mean omg, what a fucking bitch! A true anti-heroine. I hope she dies.

The world is harsh, women are less than dirt in some places and priest rule and cast down sinners. Warlords rule districts and the land is cold and bloody. The religion is God and Demons and I do wonder sometimes who is talking to Hekat, demons or God? Because someone sure is. And it's not making her any saner.

The book is also bloody and raw. She is sold as a slave and soon learns a lesson, which seems to make her even more insane. But then she did grow up without a name, often chained to the wall, never spoken too and only referred to as a she-brat. As girls in her part of the worlds were nothing. Also I never get that, the same is true about our crazy world. What are they thinking? You are just gonna end up with men and no women, yeah real clever thinking there.

At the end I want more. Because this world is going to hell. War is tearing the world apart, blood is flowing like rivers and no one is spared. Kids are killed, women are killed, everyone is killed. I must know how it all will end. And I do hope Hekat gets what is coming to her. Because even if she is interesting to read about the final straw did come and I hope God will smite her wicked soul.

Conclusion:
A dark and interesting start to this series.

Cover
Creepy

Godspeaker trilogy #1
Fantasy
Paperback, 717 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Orbit (first published June 1st 2007)
Own

38 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the cover. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Karen Miller's books and I never really liked Hekat either. It's a tough act to balance a character you hate but still want to know what happens to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup total bitch, but what will happen? Of course I do hope she dies cos the end was the last straw for me

      Delete
  3. Out of context, since I haven't read the book, I feel sympathy for her. But I don't know what she's done lol

    Sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should not ;) I did at first but this woman is bloodthirsty

      Delete
  4. The first sentence of your thoughts has me so intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I am not sure if I am clear on the character was she a bitch or what? Ha ha! Got it loud and clear. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry, did I not make it clear? I should have written it more, lol ;)

      Delete
  6. The cover is creepy, but this one sounds so different that it might worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it was, and that is why I liked it. I read that some did not like it cos she was so evil, I mean come on. That is not a reason to dislike all of it

      Delete
  7. This books sounds so different that I want it.
    Loved this part of your review: "I would have hated her and hoped scorpions would feast on her heart" I didn't know you were that bloodthirsty. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book took out the beast in me, the whole atmosphere was just so raw

      Delete
  8. Yea, I'm with you about the "what were they thinking?" I do think it would affect me the same way. Not loving the cover tho...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do wonder, I get the boys are worth more, but hey, those boys wanna marry too

      Delete
  9. scorpions would feast on her heart? Lol :D But it sounds good yet creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of scorpions in the book ;)

      Delete
  10. I want this one pretty badly now, go figure...;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Sounds brilliant! I need this. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a read equally parts intense, interesting and horrifying, B! This was an excellent review and you made me want to read the book, in spite of myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, well that I what I try to aim for when I write my wicked reviews

      Delete
  14. Daaaaaammmmmmmnnnn. Sounds dark and something I might have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bahaha I want to read it just because of your review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I try my best when I write evil reviews about scorpions and bitches

      Delete
  16. Oh, dear. This sounds like a painful read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been eyeing this series but never really got the impetus to pick it up... thanks for sharing your views! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. O_O, another book that I want to request from my library immediately after your awesome review, Blodeuedd! You evil, evil girl! :))

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP