Wednesday 24 April 2013

Review: Midnight Blue-Light Special - Seanan McGuire


The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity--and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and when her work with the cryptid community took her to Manhattan, she thought she would finally be free to pursue competition-level dance in earnest. It didn't quite work out that way...

But now, with the snake cult that was killing virgins all over Manhattan finally taken care of, Verity is ready to settle down for some serious ballroom dancing—until her on-again, off-again, semi-boyfriend Dominic De Luca, a member of the monster-hunting Covenant of St. George, informs her that the Covenant is on their way to assess the city's readiness for a cryptid purge. With everything and everyone she loves on the line, there's no way Verity can take that lying down.


My thoughts:
I will always just compare these with the Toby books, cos they are just not as good. They are still good, just not AS good.

Here Verity fights the wicked Covenant, Sarah has her own POV for a time, lots of cool cryptids, Dominic has to make up his mind where he belongs and the MICE! Yes I adore the talking Mice.

So there is action, a bit of romance/drama and just life in general for a woman saving good guys and hunting baddies.

I was a bit disappointed at the end, not cos of the book, but because I read that book 3 will be about Alex. Who we have only heard about so far. So no more Verity, I guess this was goodbye. I only hope he has some mice too ;)

Cover:
Ok

InCryptid #2
Urban fantasy
Mass Market Paperback328 pagesPublished March 5th 2013 by DAW
Own

33 comments:

  1. Well, this is interesting.I like the idea, and the premise
    The cover is good
    But it does not look like my type
    great review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They aren't my type of books. I get you how some books in comparable genres/stories aren't as good as others but still good. They can't all be fantastic, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always love her Toby books more, it's as simple as that

      Delete
  3. Great review and I agree its hard to create the genius of the Toby books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read this series, but the second isn't getting stellar reviews. Maja wasn't overly impressed either. What is the deal with the mice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mice are awesome! They talk, they are overly religious, they are just the best.

      Not as good, and I just do not know

      Delete
  5. I hate it when you have to leave a character you love. Still, I want to read this one for the mice!! They sound so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talking mice you say? Is it weird that that's enough to make me want to read this series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they are awesome enough to tempt all

      Delete
  7. That cover does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try her books in the worst way. I really need to have time to get caught up. Sorry it's a little bit of a let down with these though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU need to read the Toby books!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  9. I am going to start reading this author soon, as Melliane gifted me the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nooooooooooo!!!!! I didn't know we would only have Alex. I'm so not happy!!!!! YOu're right it's nothing like the October Daye series but it's really nice though. Love the Mice!!! so so fun! I want some, do you think I can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now you know how I felt :/

      I think you can have some mice, but only if I can get some too

      Delete
  11. I'm determined to give this series a try even though it seems like book two isn't as good as book one. It just sounds like a cool premise. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, the books are never as good as the ones I loved :)

      Delete
  12. The cover makes me think this is a YA book???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, yes it does look a bit weird in that aspect

      Delete
  13. I really don't know anything about is series, is it YA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I can't see it myself, but I guess the cover looks a bit YA

      Delete
  14. awwwwweeee talking mice! I have a soft spot for little talking mice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, sorry you'll have to say goodbye to Verity, but maybe Alex will be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  16. O_O! I've just started this one, Blodeuedd! I agree this series will never be as good as Toby but then Toby will never be as good as Newsflesh - these all just very different series. I'm sure there'll be mice in book #3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Newsflesh was not good at all ;) That one was ok, this series is good and Tony is God

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP