Wednesday 3 April 2013

Review: Osiris - E.J.Swift


Osiris is a lost city. She has lost the world and the world has lost her. 

Adelaide Rechnov, wealthy socialite and granddaughter of the Architect, spends her time in pointless luxury, rebelling against her family in a series of jaded social extravagances and scandals until her twin brother disappears in mysterious circumstances. 

Vikram Bai lives in the Western Quarter, home to the poor decedents of storm refugees and effectively quarantined from the wealthy elite. His people live with cold and starvation, but the brutal winter coming promises civil unrest, and a return to the riots of previous years. 

Brought together by circumstance and fate, these two very different people attempt to bridge the divide lurking at the heart of Osiris, but who is using whom, and what secrets will they uncover?

My thoughts:
Osiris was a dream that turned to dust, but then what kind of dystopia post-apocalyptic book would we have if everything did not go to hell?

In this world storms and well everything really turned the world to a wasteland and Osiris was a refuge for some. The rest of the world is dead..or is it? (no really is it? I wanna know!! I guess I have to wait until book 2 for that). But this Oasis is not a happy place. There are citizens who have it all, and then refuges behind a wall who has nothing and freeze to death. The perfect setting to cause some conflict. Especially since our heroine is a spoiled rich girl and the hero a poor Westerner.

The premise is interesting. A city eating itself, but some being to close-minded to see it. A world where I wonder if anyone is alive in the world? Because the rich have secrets.

The characters are not exactly lovable. Adelaide is rich and spoiled, and obsessed with finding her lost brother. Vikram on the other hand is nice, but maybe a bit naive. Sometimes you just have to storm the barricades. But they grow on you.

Conclusion:
Osiris has a pace of it's own, it moves slowly, like a dream but always forward and never slowing down that it would get boring. And when it ends I do wonder, what's next? I enjoyed it.

Cover:
Ok

Series; The Osiris project #1
Genre: Post-apocalyptic, dystopia
Pages: 448
Published: February 2013 by Del Rey UK
Source for review

44 comments:

  1. A city that eats itself> That sounds cool and creepy. I am starting to hunger for good dystopican Apocalypse reads... I will be doing an event in July: Apocalypse! so watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? YAY. Haha yes I am truly looking forward to that

      Delete
  2. I actually really like that cover, but post-apocalyptic is usually not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really unique read and I love the cover for it. I can't wait to finally read it.
    Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has me intrigued as does your almost poetic review..hmm I am adding this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks :D Sometimes the reviews flow better

      Delete
  5. "what kind of dystopia post-apocalyptic book would we have if everything did not go to hell?" SO TRUE! :)

    I do like the sound of this one. I don't mind slow as long as they don't lose me. It looks like it kept your interest so I'm game. Will have to add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sure a good slow, there are those kinds too :) There does not need to be drama and action all the time

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an interesting read. I'm going to add this to my wishlist. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have this one...I can't remember anymore. lol. I think I might have it on my ereader. It sounds like a very good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was free at one point so I think you have it

      Delete
  8. This sounds good, I do like post-apocalyptic stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember seeing this book and being interested in it- and then totally forgetting about it. So I appreciate the review. It sounds good to me. Sometimes I'm really in the mood for something that moves a little slower. It seems like most books I pick up these days are all about wall-to-wall action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pace was different, sometimes it's hard to describe. I liked it for yes like you say, these days most books are just go go go

      Delete
  10. It does sound very intriguing...eating itself and the rich have secrets...hmmm...al vert mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like the characters are ok even if not likeable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I figure if you finish a book and can't help but wonder what happens next then the author did something right, even if they didn't sweep you away in a tidal wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and I do not always need to be swept away. I just need to be entertained

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree with that. Sometimes when I pick up a book I don't want a super intense read that leaves me emotionally charged. Somedays I just want to gasp, laugh, and smile then close the book and go about my day.

      Delete
    3. Exactly :D The other ones can be so draining and then I just go around thinking about them

      Delete
  13. Wow, this certainly sounds like a unique dystopian/post apocalyptic world. I kind of like the idea of a city eating itself. It's creepy! Glad to hear this kept your interest. I'm very curious to see what happens. Thanks for sharing and bringing this to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city, oh, do they not know that things can never stay in a bubble? Ha, who am I kidding of course they do not know

      Delete
  14. Yay, glad you enjoyed it! I've got this one wating to be read from when it was a freebie, but I admit I prefer the old cover. It felt grander :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel grander, this one more.. ominous but still not too much. And I sooo wanna know if more peeps are alive

      Delete
  15. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. I love a good dystopian book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore the cover even if it is for a dystopian book. I'm not sure where my aversion comes from, but I really don't enjoy most of them. The ones I do like tend to be built in our reality, normally without any fantasy or scifi aspects to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But this one is built in out world, in the future, not too much sci.fi

      Delete
  17. I like the sound of this one, and I love dystopian. Like the cover too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice review, and it does sound interesting, but dystopian is just not my thing. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP