Tuesday 30 April 2013

Review: Sugar Daddy - Lisa Kleypas


Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas---if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as completely off-limits. His own ambitions are bigger than Welcome, and Liberty Jones is a complication he doesn't need. But something magical and potent draws them to each other, in a dangerous attraction that is stronger than both of them. 

When Hardy leaves town to pursue his plans, Liberty finds herself alone with a young sister to raise. Soon Liberty finds herself under the spell of a billionaire tycoon---a Sugar Daddy, one might say. But the relationship goes deeper than people think, and Liberty begins to discover secrets about her own family's past. 

Two men. One woman. A choice that can make her or break her. A woman you'll root for every step of the way. A love story you'll never forget.

My thoughts:
I usually know that yes everything will be all right, but here I was unsure. I knew there would be a HEA, but would I get what I wanted? I just did not know.

The beginning was slow. Yes I know we had to see her grow up in the trailer park, meet first crush Hardy who she can't forget, and get a new sister. But the whole start was moving slowly and then I realized this was more a book about her whole life..to a certain point. Also the title seems misleading, there is no real sugar daddy. Disappointing.

It's more a story about Liberty who is a strong young woman and who wants to make it on her own. She is protective of her sister, has a major crush on Hardy (which I never really got, no sparks there), and we see her grow up and start a life. Also seeing her sometimes unlucky in love, not a lot of romance in this one. Which makes me unsure what to make of the genre, it can't be contemporary romance when there is no romance.

Conclusion:
But when it picked up it picked up and I kept wishing the best for her and when the end came around I was happy.

Cover
Eh

Travis Family #1
Contemporary romance
Hardcover, 371 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Press
Own

39 comments:

  1. Lisa Kleypas is sometimes a hit and sometimes (definitely more often) a miss for me.I am not sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well.. I haven't read any of her books but I should try, I see her around a lot. I just need to know which one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LK is so inconsistent with her books but at least you left wanting the best for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does not sound so good, inconsistent

      Delete
  4. I think I have this on the shelf - I'll get to it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read this author yet even though I keep meaning to, It seems that her books are really good or they aren't I am glad that you got your HEA. I love your verbose descriptions of the covers they always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes you can say a lot by saying a little ;)

      Delete
  6. I have not read her contemporary books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a boring cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, its hard with slow beginnings and the ending where you just aren't sure it is the hea that you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when you know you are getting an HEA, but is it the one you want? :) Like that you enjoyed the ending and I'm curious about the genre it would be in as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never tell, mowuahahaha, but..nope never tell

      Delete
  10. I'm not crazy about that cover either!! The story does sound good and this author is on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is just so...too many colors

      Delete
  11. Thanks for helping me set my expectations. I love Lisa Kleypas so I'd definitely give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have liked it more with another blurb

      Delete
  12. this sounds good and i like that you worried a little.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so disappointed with this book. I do love her historical romances, a lot, but her contemporaries, they just lack for me. I still have not read the next two books in this series, though I bought them 5 years ago or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could read the rest but then I saw what book 2 was about and was all nooo

      Delete
  14. Good thing the HEA did come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like a satisfying end, glad the HEA worked out! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds good, I still can't believe I haven't read Lisa Kleypas

    ReplyDelete
  17. yeah the cover looks like a lollypop ... ughh

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not a fan of that cover! Glad to see from the comments that she has some better books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i've never read any of her contemporaries

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP