Tuesday 16 April 2013

Review: Unsticky - Sarra Manning


STATE OF GRACE
Money makes the world go round - that's what twenty-something Grace Reeves is learning. Stuck in a grind where everyone's ahead apart from her, she's partied out, disillusioned, and massively in debt. If she's dumped by another rock-band wannabe, squashed by anyone else at her cut-throat fashion job, or chased by any more bailiffs, Grace suspects she'll fall apart...

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE
So when older, sexy and above all, wealthy art-dealer Vaughn appears, she's intrigued against her will. Could she handle being a sugar daddy's arm-candy?

SAVING GRACE
Soon Grace is thrown into a world of money and privilege, at Vaughn's beck and call in return for thousands of pounds in luxurious gifts, priceless clothes - and cash. She's out of her depth. Where's the line between acting the trophy girlfriend, and selling yourself for money? And, more importantly, whatever happened to love?

My thoughts:
What a sticky situation. What to even call this book? Kind of fancy prostitution and self delusion. 

Ok to the start then. Grace meets Vaughn, Vaughn suggests something, they sign the contract. The contract being she will sleep with him, he will pay her to be his mistress. Yes what to call that? I do wonder. But that is what I liked about this book. The grey areas. Because she does start to like him. It does feel like something else. But at the same it's not. He owns her. He shows this too and at times he is a complete ass towards her. That is where the book has dark areas, cos damn, I like him, I do not want too, but I slowly fall and it feels so wrong. I get that she has issues (so many!), but I should know better. At the end we learn more about him too and things do become clearer.

Grey and black. The book is not always pretty. She has her issues, he is demanding. She is in a new world of art, and rich people. But mostly I am just fascinated by this f*ed up "relationship" and wonder how it all will end.

Conclusion:
Interesting to say the least.

Cover
Eh

Contemporary romance / Chick-lit
Paperback, 576 pages
Published August 2nd 2012 by Corgi
Own

31 comments:

  1. Unsticky does sound interesting. I like books with imperfect people. I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I get caught up with my pile here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they were, the both of them. But that is what makes us real :) And that is why I liked it

      Delete
  2. Whoa, 576 pages of this dark and somewhat twisted relationship? That's a lot to deal with:) Not sure this is the book for me, but I definitely want to read your review of the next one and find out how things play out between them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a long one ;)
      It was just so messed up and I had been curious about this for a very long time

      Delete
  3. it sounds nice to understand and to see their feelings all along the story changing like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very torn about what I wanted for them, even at the end, But I liked that

      Delete
  4. I don't think this is for me. I am surprised this is labeled as a chick lit considering it is a messed up and twisted relationship. I usually think of chick lit as light and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me ;) I just could not think of what to call it, and I have read some dark chic-lit, even though the author herself did not like the label

      Delete
  5. LOL You like him and hate him. So want to read it just because of that. :) I also agree the cover is meh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you will totally know what I mean at once you start ;)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I thought it was Wednesday yesterday, sigh

      Delete
  7. It does sound like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does sound like a good read. I love books with a million grey areas...because that reflects real life best. I wonder what to call her too...mhmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was messy, and she also started to think of herself as something else. I mean they got along well. messy

      Delete
  9. I am really into f'*$# ed up relationships right now...sounds like one I would maybe enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might like this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, love hate relationship with Vaughn. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm...not sure what to think of this book. Interesting might work. Makes me think of Pretty Woman, a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did say a modern pretty woman mixed wit pygmalion

      Delete
  13. I can do f--ked up relationships lol, will keep an eye out for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there more to the plot than Grace and Vaughn going at it?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told there was little sex in it. I am skimmer of sex scenes and I did not skim this book. when he hires her, it's not only for sex. He needs a hostess to make him look good. So it's about her at work, trying to juggle that and organizing parties for him

      Delete
  15. Sounds very intriguing, Blodeuedd! I'm adding it to my TBR. I like mind games like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do say give it a go, cos mind games a plenty

      Delete
  16. Very intriguing! I want to know where it will end but I admit that I don't want to read the book to find out.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP