Wednesday 22 May 2013

Review: Daughter of the Sky - Michelle Diener


The sole survivor of a shipwreck off the Zululand coast, 15 year-old Elizabeth Jones is taken in by the Zulus, the people of the sky. Six years later, her white skin becomes useful to the Zulu army as they try to work out why the Victorian Empire has pointed their war-machine at the Zulu nation. Elizabeth is suddenly Zululand's most important spy.

While infiltrating the British camp, Elizabeth's disguise as a young soldier is uncovered almost immediately by Captain Jack Burdell. However, he believes the tale she spins of searching for a missing brother and shields her from discovery, allowing her to bunk in his tent and giving her a job as his batman. Burdell is war-weary and disillusioned - no longer willing to follow regulations at all costs.

But as Elizabeth and Jack explore their growing attraction to each other, the two armies move towards their inevitable clash. Elizabeth is torn between the guilt of betrayal and her fierce loyalty to her Zulu family, and when Zulu and British meet on the battlefield, both she and Jack find their hearts and their lives caught in the crossfire.

My thoughts:
I can't say that I have ever read anything in this era in this place. All new to me, but new is good.

It's about a young girl who grows up to a young woman among the Zulus. Elizabeth has no love for the British (and it's totally understandable) and she gets a new home and family threw a horrible accident. But for her it's all the better. A new way of life, and a new look at life. She was strong, she felt real, because even if she is strong she is also afraid.

All good things must come to an end and the British Empire was not exactly known to be nice all the time. War is on the horizon and in comes our hero of the book. And it felt totally refreshing for him to actually notice that she is a woman! Yes I know the rest did not but like it was said, sometimes you do not see the obvious. Especially not if it's sun burnt and has learnt not to walk like your petticoat will show by accident. So yes they did not see, but Jack takes a closer look at does notice. And in comes a bit of tension as they get to know each other, and to want each other. Jack was real too, he was tired of war, and things just did not make sense anymore. Of course, he was nice too, always a plus.

It was interesting to read about, as I have not read anything about this war before, or anything set near it. I also liked to see her free spirit, to see if they ever would let go and just fall in love, and to see how it all would play out in the end.

Conclusion:
An interesting book, historical fiction with a  romantic side to it.

Cover
I like it

Historical fiction
Paperback, 340 pages
Published March 1st 2013 by Michelle Diener
For review

32 comments:

  1. I worry that it'll end with the White man from the big army being the only way to "save" to Zulu/native tribe. Besides for that stereotypical ending, I think I would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a battle that did happen so it's not like she can change the end

      Delete
  2. it must be intriguing to have a story like that. I don't think I ever read something like that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to think, but nope, nothing before this

      Delete
  3. Oh this sounds different enough that I would be curious. I also agree with Carole... I'm just hoping it has a different ending that the cliché. That aside, it does sound like a different romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I am not getting it, no one is saved. This battle does not have a happy ending

      Delete
  4. This is so not your usual Blodeuedd. I really like the sound of this one because of the historical backdrop. Not a time period featured very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not my usual at all. That is why it was so intriguing :) Cos not too far of the track for me

      Delete
  5. This sounds like such a different book than what I'm used to reading, but fascinating nonetheless. You're on a roll with recommending wonderful historical fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..I did not think about that, lol. I usually try not to read the same genre just after each other but sometimes it just happens ;)

      Delete
  6. I like historical fiction and all things British.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been awhile since my last visit...gosh, I've missed this place. BTW great review!

    Houston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves like crazy*
      It has been a LONG time

      Delete
  8. I definitely haven't read this era or setting in historical fiction. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good, I haven't read a lot from this era, but do enjoy a good historical romance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not pure historical romance, more fiction

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great premise, I haven't read anything like it either

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. I don't usually like that setting but I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just had to Google the Anglo-Zulu War...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I have read a lot about it

      Delete
  13. I'm with you on this one, I haven't read anything in this era and this book sounds like a good option.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to reading this book, I've got it on my kindle, Blodeuedd! :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP