Friday 17 May 2013

Review: Werewolves be damned - Stacey Kennedy

Author: Stacey Kennedy
Title: Werewolves Be Damned (Magic & Mayhem #1)
Genre: Fantasy, Supernatural, Action, Drama, Romance
Pages: ebook

First Published: April 15th, 2013

Where I Got It: Given to me to read & review honestly from the publisher/Blodeudd 

"Nexi Jones—part witch, part guardian, and wannabe kick-ass warrior—can’t throw a punch or conjure the simplest magic. But that doesn’t stop her from hunting the werewolves who slaughtered her human family. She’ll have her revenge, but only if Kyden, the elite guardian, would get the hell out of her way.

Kyden can’t decide if Nexi wants to get herself killed or if she just has no clue what she’s doing. But her father made it clear: keep Nexi safe…or else. Of course, the more Nexi runs toward revenge, the more she needs Kyden’s aid, and as she grows into her power and confidence, so does his desire to protect her. The only problem? She’d rather he dropped dead.


But when a vampire paints a bull’s-eye on Nexi’s back, she’s hard-pressed to deny Kyden and the help he’s offering. Even if it means getting her revenge will be a little bit harder. At least it will still be as sweet." 

The moment I read the summary I knew I had to read this myself. I have been craving over a good Fantasy novel featuring werewolves and other such supernatural beings. This not only fed my need, but it created a need to read more by Stacey Kennedy.

This was a marvelous ride and I did not want to stop reading. I wanted more. I needed to find out what happened next and I was late to class a couple times, because I was reading this in my car beforehand. Whoops. Not only was I enthralled with Nexi's story, but I am in love with the world that the author created. How cool is that? Not only do the creatures live in our world, but many live in beautiful place called the Otherworld. If I was to live in the Otherworld, I think I would want to be a witch. Being a Guardian seems like a lot of hard work. 

Anyways, not only did the world and the story catch my imagination, but so did the characters. Nexi was pretty kick-ass and she seemed to handle the whole new world rather well, Kyden was drool-worthy *drools*, Finn was equally drool-worthy, Haven was annoyingly cute, and the Big Boss/Baddie was rather scary (avoiding the spoiler as best I can). I had no idea how they were going to rid of the Big Boss/Baddie. Tough one that one was. 

There is so much I adored about this book, but I do have one complaint though...there seemed to be a lot of repetitive feelings to the information being shared. She would repeat the same thing the reader already knows a million times. It seemed unnecessary and annoying. But that's it.

In the end, I adored this book. I haven't read an excellent fantasy in quite some time. It reminded me a little of the Anita Blake series I loved as well. Can't wait for book 2 to come out. I would indeed recommend this to those that love fantasy books (with vamps, werewolves, witches, and etc) and for those that are looking for a good adventure. Also for all you Anita Blake fans, check this book out. 

Out of five stars I grant this one 5 stars.

Favorite Character(s): Nexi, Kyden, Finn (though he didn't get much spotlight), Valor, Briggs (hope he gets more spotlight too), and Drake.
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Zia (for some reason I can't stand her) andthe Big Boss/Baddie (grrrr)

 a note  from B:
Please help me welcome Carole Rae to my blog :D
Thanks Carole!


37 comments:

  1. Glad that the story and characters captured your heart Sounds like a great read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read a couple Anita Blake books (ages ago), but I do like their vibe, so it sounds like I'd enjoy this. It's great that you loved the worldbuilding so much, that's so important to me if I'm going to be absorbed into a fantasy. Welcome Carole, and thanks for your lovely review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Same here...the world has to come to life for me to be able to enjoy it. Thanks Lauren!

      Delete
  3. Well if the annoying repetition wasn't too annoying then I'm good. I mean if you are going to throw swoon worthy characters at me... I'm really good! :D Sounds like a book I really need to read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad. I read a couple reviews that complained, but I honestly didn't even notice.

      Delete
  4. oh great! I was anxious because I've read some mixed reviews about this one but I also love the author! I should try this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I was anxious too, but I gave it a shot and I adore it.

      Delete
  5. I been eyeing this one myself. I love the blurb, it seemed like a fun read..plus it has werewolves. I love werewolves! Glad to hear this one has great world building :D Otherworld sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Otherworld is cool. I hope we get to spend more time there in the next book.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read anything with werewolves in awhile This sounds pretty dang awesome. I will have to look it up! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! A nice way to get a bundle of werewolves! Happy weekend to you as well.

      Delete
  7. Awesome review, and I love a book that makes you want to ignore the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats how I can tell if its a good book...it makes me escape the world.

      Delete
  8. Excellent review. I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fabulous. I hadn't heard of this one but I'll definitely be adding it to my TBR list. I miss a good book that makes one lose track of time. I remember a few times I was late to classes because of a book =D

    Great review Carole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha same here! I think you'll like this book as well. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like the start of a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Werewolves Be Damned sounds like a good read to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. kick ass heroine and droolworthy hero ... I'm in. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review, I have this one on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Hope you enjoy it like I did!

      Delete
  14. Oooo, new one to me. :D Sounds great! So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was a lot of fun and I think you'd like it as well. Thanks! I am dying for the second one.

      Delete
  15. I'm loving this sounds of this one and that awesome cover has sold it big time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover does give it extra points. hahaha. But thanks!

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP