Thursday 20 June 2013

Lady Scoundrels' discussion: Trick of Time by JL Merrow

Today it's time for Trick of Time by JL Merrow

Ok how about those sex scenes?
Ram: Clichéd.
Ana: What sex scenes? Is it a way to start a book discussion?
Blod: Well there was some licking in...ahem areas where..yeah and cuddling LOL
Ana:What kind of discussion is it exactly? Licking??? I feel scandalized now.
Blod: You told me to start! All I remember is the licking and the ohh whore! pants dropped scene.
Ana: Ram asked us to read a bawdy book, that’s what it was.
Ram: ...I asked you to read a M/M novella. Of course it’s a bawdy book.
Blod: Hihi, well there had to be some whore action considering 
Ana: it was all ridiculous but the most ridiculous of all was the time-travel aspect. Senseless
Blod: What! Noooooo! Time-travel rocks.
Ana: time travel is like rocks - plenty of writers have shipwrecked and some of them, they’ll never learn. I have never read a book where it was done right. 
Blod: Why was it bad?
Ana: How can it be called good? It lacked logic.
Ram: Whut? Why is what can be called good? 
Ana: Time travel and you should know it the best, our resident scientist.
Ram: Har har har.
Blod: I am a daydreamer, I believe and love all the silly things
Ram: I thought the logic was done well enough for a novella. I wasn’t expecting lengthy pseudo-scientific explanations. That a play in a certain theatre acted as a key to unlock a wormhole into another year worked for me. It’s called suspending disbelief, which I signed up for when I picked a book about time-travel.
Ana: But it was never explained why it was that particular play and not the other ones and why it affected only Ted, not anybody else. It was rubbish.
Ram: The accident. A series of coincidences. 
Ana: I snort in your general direction, coincidences. There are no coincidences in good books, novellas or otherwise.
Blod: GOD did it...ok maybe not.
Ana: what God and why he/she took that particular care of a queer? Idiotic.
Blod: Oh I should not joke about that, it was the universe
Ram: I’m starting to think you just wanted a book to rip apart now. 
Ana: No, not at all. I am not that mean. I am MEANER. This made me mad because it WAS bad.
Blod: Well I enjoyed it, fluffy time-travel, some whore smexing, and it was short
Ram: Sometimes fluff is good, although I’m usually allergic to the stuff.
Ana: damn, don’t tell me...and pray, how come Jem could travel along Ted without one single consequence? HOW?
Blod: Oh Ana, just believe
*Ana spits venom and fire* not a cat in hell’s chance. So tell me what else did you enjoy apart from the smexing and homoerotic fluff?
Blod: …..eh, true love wins?
Ana: true lust takes over?
Ram: Angst.
Ana: what angst? 
Ram: Ted’s suffering before the time travel bit and his continued worry about what his dead husband would have thought.
Ana *cackles* oh yeah, he suffered for about 10 minutes and then he had a blowjob and stopped, poor thing ;p.
Ram: It was a novella. Try to remember that. And he’d been alone for year and a half.
Ana: I hate novellas, it is known. You owe me a good novel, m/m but good.
Ram: I thought I’d already recommended you one good one with a rent boy. This balances the scales.
Ana: ? Refresh my memory, please.
Ram: What I need by Theda Black. 

Ana: *looks at it suspiciously* too short.
Ram: Maurice? American Love Songs? Counterpunch (with modern slavery)? Dark Space? The Marrying Kind? Muscling Through by JL Merrow?
Ana: will do.
Blod: Hey you guys, do not talk too much without me! *reads that Ana hates novellas* Well I do too
Ram: Oops.
Blod: But for a novella this one worked. I am usually very meh about them and they do not make me want to read more
Ana: It didn’t work for me, not really. Ok, maybe the fluffy scenes but still they were silly.
Ram: Silly? Yes. Bad? No. 
Blod: I do confess that I never got why Ted was so in love and I did think the rent boy was just after a quick easy way out. But it was a novella, I forgive it
Ana: well, I don’t. I am not a forgiving kind I suppose.
Blod: It was even the best Scoundrel book so far
Ana: now that’s pure outrage
Ram: *snort* I think I liked Song of Scarabeaus more though :P
Blod: Do not even mention that boring book to me
Ana: yes, Song of Scarabaeus was far better. ;p
Ram: *giggles*
Ana : who would you recommend this one to *nobody, say nobody* ?
Ram: Someone wanting to read a short M/M time travel story. Don’t expect to be wowed and be prepared to suspend disbelief. 
Blod: Fans of m/m
Ana: NOBODY.
Ram: You’re nobody then? Liar.
Ana: Nemo, call me Nemo *swims away*
Ram: It’s your turn to pick a book...
Ana: hahahahahahaha, wait and seeeee....

...problems with the broadcast. No one was able to get the last word and the discussion is still ongoing. We apologise....

34 comments:

  1. Fluffy time travel with some m/m smexy times? Sounds pretty good to me! I don't mind novellas, sometimes it's fun to just having something short to give me a break before I pick up the next novel:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like novellas for the most either, but for some reason it really worked

      Delete
  2. I tend to let a lot go in terms of logic with novellas if I like the characters. But time travel in a novella - I'm not so sure. That stretches my believability in general but in a novella I'm not sure I could buy into it without a longer explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just let go totally. No time for thought at all ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome discussion again ladies! But I don't read m/m so this won't be put on the wishlist. I do like time travel books. Ana, try some Melissa Mayhue. Timetravel because of Fairy Magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana likes her fairies with swords, I doubt she likes them with time travel ;) Lol

      Delete
    2. I might try it, thanks Aurian. ;p

      Delete
  4. Aw... who reads these for the science? It's all about just going with the flow. :) Enjoying the discussion! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read for the science. Yes I am awesome like that ;p.

      Delete
  5. You guys crack me up. Great chat ladies! Novellas tend to leave me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always love your talk, thanks for the nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this and the only thing sticking with me is whore and licking in ahem parts, I don't even want to know more....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only reason novellas bug me is because they arent long enough! I know defeats the purpose, but I have not read many that fully finish and leave me satisfied at the end.
    Ok, at BEA I grabbed a few M/M books & gave them to my brother in law, except for one. It's about 2 wolf's and a vampire. Its pretty good. Paranormal Romance M/M. I was so into it I missed the first stop on the train home :) Luckily the 2nd stop was only 5 minutes away from #1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Things happen too fast, and then they are finished! I want more stuff in between.

      LOL. Well that happens ;) And those are the truly awesome books when you are so in to them. And I would not say no to a wolf vamp book

      Delete
  9. O those fairies do have swords, and there are yummy highlanders with swords as well as an added bonus ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry if this posts twice, I thought I posted it last night, but my browser seems to have frozen.

    Anyway, fabulous discussion again ladies! These always crack me up. I think after reading this I almost want to read this novella purely so I can laugh at it. I can get down with the lack of logic and just go with it. Love this "I snort in your general direction, coincidences." I feel that way about oh so many books.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren :D

      Haha, well read it for the laughs then ;) Maybe you can go all snarky

      Delete
  11. :) I always love reading these. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your review was probably more entertaining than this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this "review". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. God, I really enjoy your ramblings, gals! :))) And hey, time-travel is done well in The Outlander. Like really well!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP