Tuesday 18 June 2013

Review: The City - Stella Gemmell

Built up over the millennia, layer upon layer, the City is ancient and vast. Over the centuries, it has sprawled beyond its walls, the cause of constant war with neighbouring peoples and kingdoms, laying waste to what was once green and fertile. 

And at the heart of the City resides the emperor. Few have ever seen him. Those who have remember a man in his prime and yet he should be very old. Some speculate that he is no longer human, others wonder if indeed he ever truly was. And a small number have come to a desperate conclusion: that the only way to stop the ceaseless slaughter is to end the emperor’s unnaturally long life.

From the rotting, flood-ruined catacombs beneath the City where the poor struggle to stay alive to the blood-soaked fields of battle where so few heroes survive, these rebels pin their hopes on one man. A man who was once the emperor’s foremost general. A man, a revered soldier, who could lead an uprising and unite the City. But a man who was betrayed, imprisoned, tortured and is now believed to be dead...

My thoughts:
I think the best way to describe this book is epic. It was truly epic. I know fantasy is usually epic, but here the word gets it's true meaning. The story is deep and feels complex. It's fascinating, and the world building and story telling was awesome.

It's about a an empire on feet of clay. A city slowly eating itself and spitting out soldier after soldier. Women thrown into the war machine until the only people left are maimed old soldiers and a few lost children. There is no time for making children when everyone is away fighting. Fighting for the enormous city and the emperor. Everything else if forgotten.

The story jumps in time after we meet 2 children and an old man. An old man of importance. After that we get to know a female soldier and learn more about the endless war. Gemmell is also good at inserting facts and history about why the city is like it is. Why it keeps on fighting and we learn more and more.

Bart and Em show us the city itself and how life inside is not easy. Fell and Indaro shows us the war outside. There are threads everywhere in this vast book that slowly is being handled by someone. Pulling everyone together for one last showdown.

The book is not one I rushed through to know more. Instead I had to take it easy because that is just how it's told, how it has to be. And when I finished I was not sure, should I be happy? The ending is both a happy one and an uncertain one.

I know I give 3s to everything cos 3s means it's good and that I enjoyed it. But this one has to get a 4 cos of the good writing.

War and politics is what you get with this book. I also liked how she has taken from so much and put it together in a melting pot. Until I just can't say where from everything is (even if it is fantasy). There is Rome, the East and more. I was also interested in The Immortals, where did they come from? I do want more from this world.

Cover
Nice

Fantasy
Paperback, 560 pages
Published June 4th 2013 by Bantam Press
Own

36 comments:

  1. I love when the world-building demands that you read it slowly, and you sink into the world...lovely review, this does sound epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to read fast, but I just could not do it here cos I would have missed something epic

      Delete
  2. I like the cover too, and glad the characters and world building demanded attention

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think with Fantasy it is a good thing when it forces you to slowly read it and ingest it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! A 4 is very high praise! This sounds like something I would enjoy as well. You have no idea how many books you have put on my tbr!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes from me it is :) There are books that get it cos I can't put them down and this one was tricky. It was that, but still at times heavy. And then it was sooo well written

      Delete
  5. This does sound epic, great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is new to me and sounds very good. Now I want to know why the city is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Epic book of epicness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. War is never my favorite topic because I sit there and worry about who is going to die. still this does sound epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's true of course, and I always worry too. But in fantasy, well people die

      Delete
  9. Wow. You added this one to my Want List the other day. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really interesting! Adding it to my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. I'm adding it to my wishlist and I really like that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, lots of fighting and blood. Not sure I could handle it. Yay that it was a 4-star read for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good fantasy mostly is, but still :)
      But the blood is not shown like cut head, blood! No, it's more hidden

      Delete
  13. Love epic fantasy, love your review, love the cover..... I really think I need this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it might just be the book for you then :)

      Delete
  14. Wow, if the writing pushes an already epic story into 4 star territory, I have to check this out! Wonderful review, and thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was the writing cos I do like the more traditional fantasy more. But this was just so good

      Delete
  15. Finally a book I can say I want to read because of your review! Lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And finally a book I can say, that yes Ana, I think that you could possibly actually like this book

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a big epic book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. O I like this one! Do you know if this is any relation to David Gemmel? I used to like his books back in the days when I had little choice and read in Dutch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in a romance mood big time but will keep this one in mind for future fantasy reads!

    ReplyDelete
  19. After that review I'm buying this book right now.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP