Wednesday 19 June 2013

Review: The Firebird - Susanna Kearsley

Nicola Marter was born with a gift: when she touches an object, she sometimes glimpses those who have owned it before. When the gallery she works in receives a wooden carving she can see the object’s history and knows that it was named after the Firebird, the mythical bird that inspires an old Russian fairytale and was once owned by Russia’s famed Empress Catherine. 

Nicola’s investigation into the Firebird’s origin draws her into the 1715 world of Anna Logan and leads her on a quest through Scotland, France and Russia, unearthing a tale of love and sacrifice, of courage and redemption.

My thoughts:
I liked the fact that this book was connected to the other two Kearsley books I have read. The winter sea introduced us to two figures in the past and now we see their daughters journey. But like her other books she also have people looking into the past. Those two are Nicola and Rob, and Rob we met in The Shadowy Horses, where he was a kid with the sight. Two books connected in this third one.

Like I said, it's about Nicola and Rob. She can touch objects and see their past but she is no where as good at it as Rob. They know each other from before and meet again when she needs to track down the origin of a statue. There is some hidden attraction there too. But Nicola is not as open with her powers as he is. Theirs is the journey from place to place, tracking down a woman named Anna who lived 300 years ago.

And here is the good part, I got totally hooked on Anna's story. It was so good, and sad and I just had to know! They track her from her origin and onward and I can't tell you much without telling it all. But that was a good story. I wanted the whole story as just one story, it was that interesting.

Conclusion:
A book that got me hooked.

Cover
Meh

Fiction/historical fiction, Paperback544 pages, Published June 4th 2013 by Sourcebooks Landmark
For review

50 comments:

  1. I've got to make the time to try this author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I really want to know Anna's story too! Love when a book hooks me and won't let me go:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, glad we get to see Rob again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read it but I want to read Shadowy Horses first. Loved the other books I've read by Kearsley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really needed as we just meet Rob as a kid there

      Delete
  5. oh yes I agree it's always nice when a book is realted to another one we liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun, and to 2 different stories none the less

      Delete
  6. I really need to read Kersley's books. Good to know that this one is related to other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really like to read her older book Mariana too

      Delete
  7. Oddly i like the cover. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I got a couple of her other books because of you and now I know I need this one as well. Darn you! *shakes fist* My tbr overfloweth! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well that is the life of a booklover. Make that book hoarder

      Delete
  9. I like the sound of this one. I have The Shadowy Horses waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right that cover is totally meh, but I'm glad to hear you were so drawn into Anna's story. I love books like this, so I'm sure I'd be sucked right in as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Russian bit the best I think, mostly cos I have not read anything set back then in Russia

      Delete
  11. Sounds good. I've never read anything by this author but have heard alot about her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, totally not drawn to this. But glad you enjoyed it so much B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have like 4 books by this author and haven't started them yet... This sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the sound of Anna, and prb would like her story too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really, meh? on that cover? I think it is rather stunning. I bought several books by this author during the Sourcebooks days of Christmas sale and now I need to read them, story of my life, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yes oh sigh all the books I have unread ;)

      Yup meh, I am like that

      Delete
  16. i tried to read one of hers, but i couldn't really get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need to read this author!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm adding this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good thing that I read your thoughts on this one so I didn't start with this one. I've heard lots of good things about this author and am planning on reading her soon. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean you could read it just like this, but then if you do wanna read one book before I say Winter would be the one

      Delete
  21. I am so glad I've got this one on my kindle! Looking forward to it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im glad to see to see you enjoyed this one. I'll be starting it this weekend. I didn't know it was connected in any way to the other two books though. I have read The Shadowy Horses but not The Winter Sea yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that either before I started to see the connections :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP