Monday 24 June 2013

Review: Shaedes of Gray - Amanda Bonilla

Darian has lived alone for almost a century in the shadows of the night. Made and abandoned by her former love, Darian is the last of her kind—an immortal Shaede who can slip into darkness as easily as breathing. With no one else to rely on, she has taught herself how to survive, using her unique skills to become a deadly assassin.

Darian finds herself struggling to keep her employer, Tyler, at arm's length, especially since his seductive smile makes her want to break her rules about love. The work he offers is necessary to protect the innocent—and a welcome distraction. But when Darian's next mark turns out to be Xander Peck, King of the Shaede Nation, her whole worldview is thrown into question. Darian begins to wonder if she has taken on more than her conscience will allow, but a good assassin never leaves a job unfinished.

My thoughts:
As always with UF I had high hopes, but they did not pay out. It was a good book, but yes with UF I always want to really like the book. Not just like it. And this book was tricky. I read it in one sitting, but I was never fully invested. The end was good, there I read fast to see what happened. Exciting stuff and it left me wanting more. Cos who were the X, yes I can't say more, you will just have to read and see.

One thing annoyed me a lot, and always annoys me in books. They were like "why did you go there stupid girl?!" Hello! Because you NEVER told her what she needed to know. It was the constant, oh you will learn about it later. Well do not blame her then. Tell her EVERYTHING she needs to know at once. This is the thing that makes me go grrrr so very often. I get why books use this but it's so stupid. If someone was in danger then of course I would tell them everything. I would not tell them bits and pieces until they went insane and almost died.

But ok I digress. Darian was kick-ass. Taylor was mysterious. Xander the king was a complete ass, no sorry I can't like him. I hope we are not meant to, gods I hope she does not end up with him.

Yeah, it sounds like I did not like this one at all. But it was good through out it all.

Cover
I both like it and do not like it

Shaede Assassin #1
Urban fantasy
Mass Market Paperback, 316 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by Signet Eclipse
Library

46 comments:

  1. this looks cool! i kinda like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just something about her clothes that looks wrong at times

      Delete
  2. Groaning about the title...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series, next books are even better.
    I love Xander... don't judge me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try book 2 as the library has it, but Xander...ugh

      Delete
  4. I'm with Chris...*groans*. But it sounds pretty good, but I may skip on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, until your last sentence I wasn't sure if you liked it or not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm groaning about the title, too. Nooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the cover is awesome..but I am feeling bummed now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm sorry it wasn't that good for you but I hope you'll read the others and love them as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know! I hate that "well, I don't want to tell you now" stuff. So frustrating. Still, sounds like a series I would enjoy. I do like UF. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me insane and makes no sense!

      Delete
  10. That is what drives me nuts in UF~but I love it all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do people info dump but forget the most important stuff...? Frustrates me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's to keep us ignorant, but it makes no sense if it gets the main character almost killed

      Delete
  12. Yes looking for that elusive awesome new UF is hard. Have you tried Hearne yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope....I read this novella and felt meh, but then novellas are not my kind

      Delete
  13. It was one horrible book. Simply horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it...not all the times, but the ending was exciting

      Delete
  14. I'm not sure it's the type of book I'd like but I thought the cover was kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so picky with my UF so if it was just OK for you, it totally wouldn't work for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so agree Blodeuedd, they should have told her stuff up front. I also hate Xander, totally loathe him. I do like Tyler though, but not totally convinced he is the one. I have read all three books now, and hope you will like the others more.
    And the title, well, I think this book was published before 50 shades ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :D Haha, I am so glad I am not alone. Taylor was cool, but like you I am not sure.

      But yes ye yes TELLL HER. That is one of the worst tropes ever

      Delete
  17. I like the cover, but the title...meh. Too many associations. Still this sounds like it could be fun, but I'd be annoyed with the don't tell the heroine about the danger plot device. It happens all too often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not her fault though :/
      And every time it annoys me, so this time I just had to to crazy

      Delete
  18. Maybe you'll like book 2 more? I have this one and want to give it a try. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, I will borrow it one day...one day

      Delete
  19. I wish this one was a bit better for you and had that extra oomph!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you were able to like it overall.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love urban fantasy but I'm super fussy so I'll say thanks for weeding this one out. I'll give it a miss even though you liked it well enough lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If book 2 ends up better I will tell ya

      Delete
  22. It sounds like you both liked and disliked it. Cool cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep, that's how I felt. Liked it enough but don't want to continue - it's not my cup of tea :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that someone else felt the same way

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP