Wednesday 5 June 2013

Review: Tainted Angel - Anne Cleeland

A deadly game of deception. A notorious beauty with a shadowy past

In the time of Napoleon, Vidia Swanson appears to live a gilded life of ease and luxury. Beneath this façade, however, she works for the Home Office as an ‘angel,’ coaxing secrets from powerful men who may or may not be traitors to the Crown. In the course of her latest assignment, matters take an alarming turn when she realizes that her spymaster suspects that she is the one who is tainted--a double agent working for the enemy.

Lucien Carstairs is a fellow agent with his own dark secrets--unless he is setting an elaborate trap to reveal her own supposed treason. Backed into a corner, she can only hope to stay one step ahead of the hangman in a race to stop the next war before it destroys them--and destroys England.

Tainted Angel offers up a compelling game of cat and mouse in which no one can be trusted--and anyone can be tainted.

My thoughts:
This was a spy/mystery/romance/historical. A nice little mix and I thought I knew, but I had no idea at all ;)

Vidia was an enigma. Her fellow spies believes she is tainted and I was unsure. She was way too comfy around her mark. So I kept wondering about her and her benefactor. In the end I wondered about everyone. You can't really trust anyone in this book and first at the end I could relax and trust people, trust them to know what they were doing.

That is the whole thriller/mystery parts. She has some explaining to do and the heat is on. In comes the hero (who I did not know what to make of either). Their relationship becomes, oh you just has to read it. It's a cat and mouse game and it kept me on my toes. Then there is the whole dead wife thing too to think about. But, nah I will not say one thing more. This was just a book were mysteries slowly were revealed. 

One thing though, at times I was, not confused just..troubled. I felt that I should be able to trust someone at least and pages seemed to flow by without me noticing it and not in a good way.

Conclusion:
An thrilling spy novel with romance to offer too.

Cover
I love the red

Historical Fiction /thriller/mystery/romance
Paperback, 368 pages
Published June 4th 2013 by Sourcebooks Landmark
For review

39 comments:

  1. Eeeek! I must read this! This sounds sooooooooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had this on my radar but haven't seen any reviews yet. Loving the sound of it now! Thanks, Blodeuedd! off it goes into my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any reviews either yet, then again it just came out. Still

      Delete
  3. Okay, need to read this one. I've been wanting more thrillers and love the idea of one being a historical! So adding this one to the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though it was not WOW WHAT thrilling. More like ohhhh thrilling..if that makes any sense at all

      Delete
  4. love the sound of the romance, the cover is cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh this sounds good! I don't read much spy novels or thrillers because it just makes me feel stupid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good thriller, but I don't often read historical thrillers and I am totally on a historical kick lately. I need to read something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover and the mix of genres appeals to me! Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spies and romance. I may be sold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spy, mystery, romance & historical..? That's a lot of genres in one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm intrigued by your review - no one for the reader to trust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, cos they have their secrets while trying to find out what the other persons secrets are

      Delete
  11. No, not a book for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't read nearly enough thrillers, and this one sounds wonderful! I've not read any reviews of it before now either. Thanks for introducing me to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems I was on of the first, go me ;) I am not big on reading thrillers either, but, as long as they are more like this, that is not so triller like then I am all in

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity, Blodeuedd! I am thrilled to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And everyone seems to like the cover, which is the work of Eileen Carey. Many thanks to her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, this one sounds good. Interesting that there is no one to trust. Usually at least one character stands out as being trustworthy. Interesting approach I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it was tricky, cos it is all one big spy game

      Delete
  16. Sounds good, and that is a gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very intriguing. It sounds a bit unsettling because of the lack of trust all around. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked, I mean they are all spies, they all mistrust

      Delete
  18. I love spy novels, so I'll definitely keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP