Wednesday 3 July 2013

Carole R Reviews. My Year as a Clown - Robert Steven Williams

Author: Robert Steven Williams
Title: My Year as a Clown
Genre: Fiction, Drama
Pages: ebook
First Published: December 26th, 2012
Where I Got It: Given to me by the author and publisher to read and give an honest review


"With My Year as a Clown, Williams introduces us to Chuck Morgan, a new kind of male hero—imperfect and uncertain—fumbling his way forward in the aftermath of the abrupt collapse his 20-year marriage.




Initially, Chuck worries he’ll never have a relationship again, that he could stand in the lobby of a brothel with a hundred dollar bill plastered to his forehead and still not get lucky. But as his emotionally raw, 365-day odyssey unfolds, Chuck gradually relearns to live on his own, navigating the minefield of issues faced by the suddenly single—new routines, awkward dates, and even more awkward sex."


Like earlier stated, I was given this to read for my honest and unbiased opinion.

I was initially drawn to this book by the title and the cover. Such an interesting title. The cover is plain, but it really matches the story and the main character, Chuck. It fits. Chuck is an interesting character, but in the end he is just the guy next door. An average Joe of sorts. I really enjoyed reading the book in the guys view. There are a scarce amount of books following the man's POV after a divorce or break-up (or just in general). I also loved how it seemed that Chuck was writing some sort of journal to keep his sanity throughout Claudia leaving him.

Poor guy. He went through so much shit throughout that year. Stupid Claudia...if I was him I would give her not a dime. She was the reason for the divorce...she cheated and left him for another man. Stupid...>.> I hate women like her. I do. He did really nothing wrong (besides for get fired) and wanted to live his dream of being a writer. They didn't suffer of lack of funds. They had enough money for him to try and become a writer. He paid for her college and that is how she repays him????!!!!! GAH! I must leave this ramble....

*clears throat* Sorry. But women like her give good girls, like me, a bad name. *grumbles* stupid chit....

I really enjoyed the array of characters the author gave us. Chuck met some rather interesting people along the way. However, sometimes I was rather stunned by how cheesy and odd the Rabbi was. I didn't trust the man at all throughout the whole book. He seemed too cool and I was right that it was too cool to be true. I can not say more on this point without spoiling anything...but I have never heard of a Rabbi being a pot-head. JUST saying.

What else can I really say? I did like this book. It was a different book, but pretty good. Though I found some spots cheesy and unbelievable (aka, the Rabbi), I did enjoy it. Claudia needed a good punch to the face. Also, the ending left me dried mouth and a little empty. The epilogue was a little dry in my opinion and I really wanted to know more about future events for Chuck...like did he ever really settle down again? What about the other characters/friends of his? Sighs.

In the end, this was a good book. I enjoyed the journey and it really made me think about myself and what I would do in a similar situation. Even though I'm a chicka and he is a male, I still found myself connecting to him once in a while. I'm glad I agreed to read this book, because it was a mighty shake up to my reading bookshelf. I would recommend this to people who like people stories and for those that need a good shake up in their readings. Chuck was an interesting character. He was not at all perfect and I liked that. Just an average Joe with complexities. I shall stamp this with 4 stars.

Favorite Character(s): Chuck, Pauline, and Siobhan
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Claudia (*grumble*whore*grumble*), Jimmy, Bart, and the Rabbi 



23 comments:

  1. I don't mind some suspension of belief, but not an overwhelming amount. It doesn't sound overwhelming here. Glad you enjoyed this one. I hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't overwhelming. It was really good.

      Delete
  2. I think I would dislike the girl as well. Hopefully, Chuck overcomes and learns from his mistakes. Sounds like an entertaining and interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was both! But I loath girls like her.

      Delete
  3. I confess I want to read it now that I see the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and yes I like getting the male POV..some people are just selfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are selfish and take advantage of others.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for taking part in the tour. I'm so glad you enjoyed My Year As a Clown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me join in on the fun!

      Delete
  6. Sounds interesting! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, sounds good. I was worried with mention of Clown. ;) But sounds good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so was I! Thankfully no clowns are included in this tale.

      Delete
  8. It does sound interesting, thanks Carole for a great review! A dry epilogue is my pet peeve as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Ana! But yeah it really annoyed me.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It did...but it was really good overall. Poor Chuck...

      Delete
  10. This sounds different. Sounds worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cover is different! Glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP