Saturday 27 July 2013

Mishel Reviews: The Tycoon's seductive revenge - Kristi Avalon

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone
Release Date: April 2013
Publisher: Smashwords
Pages: 174 (ebook)
My Rating: 2.75/5
Source: Kindle Freebie
Cover: Thumbs down

I tried to keep in mind that I was reading a kindle freebie but I found myself waiting around for the story to get going. While the characters were fine and the plot was mildly interesting I had to push myself forward a couple of times. The ebook numbers at 174 pages but it literally took me two weeks to read it. It wasn’t bad, it was kind of just – meh…

I liked Ellie more than Carter, but not by much. Ellie is strong and independent but then becomes defenseless and irrational too quickly. I wanted Carter to have some more depth. I get that he had his heart broken when the two were younger but he seemed a little juvenile in his attempts at revenge. I never really took his intentions seriously either. 

I was slightly turned off by the author’s need to specifically name the brands of a number of clothing items and accessories the characters wore/used. I basically thought to myself, “Who cares?!”

As I said the contemporary plot was interesting but it didn’t grab me enough. I found the ending to be entertaining but a little over the top. To prevent spoilers let’s just say I enjoy a HEA but not when the heroine risks her life unnecessarily like that. It was definitely a “get a grip” kind of moment, seriously. 

Overall, I had an okay reading experience and will likely read another story by the author if it is another kindle freebie. 

 Mishel

26 comments:

  1. Two weeks to finish reading is a no-no for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just never really held my interest for long *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch. two weeks? I usually take two weeks for books with 300+ (depending on the goodness or my free time). Great review though! Sounds decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't have much free time these days either. But if a book is good, I will find the time!

      Delete
  4. Finally got this posted last night, bad internet. But thanks Mishel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am wearing my Victoria t-shirt pajamas and flip flops with a pair of Kay Jewelers diamond earrings..bwahahaa! I always think its weird when they drop brand names too, I mean are they getting paid for it? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, too cute! I just thought it was weird. I had never came across an author who did that before.

      Delete
  6. O Mishel, I would have deleted it after the first two tries. Your reading time should be spend on great books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I've recently passed up on a few books that sounded meh, okay...I was quite proud of myself =D

      Delete
  7. at last you read your freebies, I confess I just forget about them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, nothing wrong with that. You'll always have them and you didn't lose out by paying for them.

      Delete
  8. O Mishel, I applaud you finishing the book, but poor thing! I would have deleted that sucker after 20 pages. Oh well!
    Thanks for your honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said it wasn't terrible...I think I was just expecting too much out of it. I'll know better next time!

      Delete
  9. I know throwing in the brand names gets annoying for me as well. Can't say this is a book I would enjoy but then again the price is good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that it turned out to be a decent read in the end. Sometimes you just never know when it's an unknown author and free to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I'll definitely have a different mindset when I start my next freebie.

      Delete
  11. It sounds okay. I wonder if I have it, since I download so many Kindle freebies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you just might. The premise is pretty okay just kind of lost interest a time or two.

      Delete
  12. I know what you mean about mentioning brand names. It's usually a distraction more than a helpful description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly Mary! Distracting and a big turn off =/

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you at least finished the book. Sometimes it's so much easier to just give up on it and move on. I've been very worried about reading some freebie's...but I've heard people say that you have good ones and you have bad ones...just like you can pay $8 for a book and it can be good but it can also be bad. It's hard for me to keep that open mind when going into read a freebie...but I know that I need to. I'm glad that you'll check another book out from this author if it's a freebie, maybe the next book will be much better! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! I've bought a few books that I was disappointed with and kind of sad that I paid for it. I'll definitely give the author another shot =)

      Delete
  14. I hate when a hero or heroine risks their life unneccessarily. It's a shame this didn't grab you more, but at least it was free! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you what happened. It was seriously over the top! But yes, it was free so I shouldn't complain too much =)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP