Monday 22 July 2013

Review: Dragon Bones - Patricia Briggs

Ward of Hurog has tried all his life to convince people he is just a simple, harmless fool...And it's worked. But now, to regain his kingdom, he must ride into war-and convince them otherwise.

My thoughts:
I have not have the best of luck with Brigg's fantasy books. I did like the Hob, it was light. Raven was good, then turned worse. Wolf was gone, it just showed it was her work early on. But Dragon, I was hooked from page one. It's still light fantasy somehow, but there is a true darkness in it too. I am not saying that makes it more fantasy, I am just saying here she was not afraid to talk about things that I might not want to know, but that makes it so much better.

Ward started to act like he was simple so his father would not kill him. His father was cruel, liked to beat his children and wife and rape the servants. It was difficult to read about Ward and how everyone looked down at him for being an idiot. They said he was nice, but an idiot. Which made it the more interesting to read about him. He had played the act for so long so when it was time to let go who would believe it. 

This was a troubled land. A king who grow more disturbing the more I learned about him. And then there is Hurog and Ward would not be allowed to Lord over it if he is a simpleton. War is brewing from the south too, well actually most people are pissed they just hide it. I do like conflict in fantasy and here after the book ends, well one battle done but there are more to come and I wanted to read book 2 at once. I did start it at once too. Things are never simple.

Ward, him I liked. Oreg who met was nice too. Ward's sister, well she was not really in focus. Then there are other men (and women) who were interesting to to read about. Some I did not know whether to like or not, but that is the good part. Everyone plays a role.

Conclusion:
It was short, but I liked it. I will still call it light cos it does not have the epicness, it would have, but does not. Totally recommend it too.

cover
ok

Mass Market Paperback, , 295 pages
Published by Ace Fantasy (first published February 26th 2002)
Hurog, #1
Fantasy
Own

31 comments:

  1. Goes to show you how much I knew because I didn't realize she wrote fantasy novels. She's got a lot of books out there. I have more than a few to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wrote them before her other series :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't even know about this series.

    I feel bad for Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was vaguely aware that Briggs wrote fantasy novels. I guess one of these days I will have to check one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then you should def go for this one

      Delete
  4. I need to try this series, it sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recommend it :) It's very short too

      Delete
  5. Still need to read my Hobbs on my shelf. Sorry you don't care for her but still enjoyed this one. Do think I'll have to add this one to my fantasy wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I do love her books, it's her fantasy that are not up to standard

      Delete
  6. I have not read this author but doesn't she write other books too???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try Briggs' books. They sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review B, thank you. I have been wanting to read her other books. So far, I think I only read masqued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got...3 fantasy one left by her :)

      Delete
  9. hehe didn't we just talk about this :) :) So getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this book from Patricia Briggs. I know so many people who love her work and I've just never been able to pick up one of her books. I really need to check them out so I can finally form my own opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never...oh..you MUST read the Mercy books

      Delete
  11. I had no idea she wrote fantasy..I am glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have most of the Mercy books sitting on my shelf but I haven't read them yet. I knew she wrote fantasy and added them to my TBR list but I want to start her other books first. Glad you liked this one =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do try the Mercy books first as they are awesome :D I started with those and moved on to fantasy and her Alpha series

      Delete
  13. I still haven't read any of her fantasy! I'm glad to hear you liked this better than the others. It gives me hope I'll enjoy them too! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP