Sunday 18 August 2013

Carole Reviews: Mother Earth Father Sky - Sue Harrison


Author: Sue Harrison
Title: Mother Earth Father Sky (#1 in The Ivory Carver Trilogy)
Genre: Historical Fiction, Drama, YA
Pages: ebook
First Published: Jan. 1st, 1985
Where I Got It: One my shelf (given to by publisher/author to give my honest and unbiased opinion)



"A young woman fights for survival amid the brutality of the last Ice Age 




It’s 7056 BC, a time before history. On the first day that Chagak’s womanhood is acknowledged within her Aleut tribe, she unexpectedly finds herself betrothed to Seal Stalker, the most promising young hunter in the village. A bright future lies ahead of Chagak—but in one violent moment, she loses her entire way of life. Left with her infant brother, Pup, and only a birdskin parka for warmth, Chagak sets out across the icy waters on a quest for survival and revenge."


Like earlier stated, I was given this book to read and give my unbiased and honest opinion.

This is the first book of the Ivory Carver Trilogy and I am drooling to read the next two! Eeeek! I'm not really sure what the next two books are about (be it Chagak or other characters). I would really like to learn more about Blue Shell. I want her to have her happily ever after and we all know she deserves better then stupid the stupid and cowardly husband she has now. He is not only weak and cowardly, but he is mean and hurts her. I really liked Blue Shell and I hope in the next two books she gets her HEA. 

Some people label this as a "YA" novel. I don't see it at all...its rather graphic at some points and I don't think I would let a child under 14 read this...so I guess 14+ are Young Adults. IDK.  It did win an award for Best Book for YA in 1991. Soooo I guess parents don't mind, but there are a few scenes are rather graphic....but oh well...what do I know....

Anyways....

I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was so hard to put it down, but I had no choice due to me being so busy the last week and change. It was SUCH a good read. At some points I was so into the text I thought I was watching a movie and I would give commentary and Boyfriend would look at me strange, so I would have to inform him what happened and give him the back-story. Sue Harrison just sucked me up into this world from page one. Yes, there was a LOT of details, but it was necessary to understand the world and get a good grasp on the ancient society. I especially am grateful for the wonderful details included, because my knowledge on the Aleut tribes is limited. I know a lot about many tribes, but my knowledge base in pretty much nonexist. However, due to Sue Harrison not only did I learn a lot, but I have done my own research after the book was done. It's so great when an author makes you want to learn more.

The characters were well written. Chagak was a strong woman and I applaud her. She went through some emotional stuff for being a young adult herself. She had just became a woman and she lost EVERYTHING. So sad. So, so sad. I felt really connected with Chagak (and Blue Shell for some reason). Which is odd that I emotionally connected with more then one character. 

In the end, I adored this book. This book is defiantly up for "Top Book of the Year" for me.  Haha. Can't wait to read more in the trilogy and in this time period. It was wonderfully written and I can't really think of anything negative at this point in time. I do, however, disagree that this is shoved in with the YA genre as well as the HF due to the few scenes that are pretty graphic. Oh well. I do recommend this to those that love Historical Fiction, Native History, history (in general), and for those looking to shake up their reading shelves. I shall stamp this with 5 stars. Woot! Woot!

Favorite Character(s): Chagak, Blue Shell, Crooked Nose, Seal Stalker, and Many Whales
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Blue Shell's husband & Man-who-Kills (I wonder why....)


*CaroleRae*

27 comments:

  1. Thanks Carole! I read this series ages ago and really liked it.

    But yes the YA issue, I was like in elementary school then (yes I know ;) and remember horrible things happening. For me then it was an adult book. Even if I had been a few years older it would have been too much...but then again it was AGES ago, what do I know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Where was I when this book was floating around? lol oh well..but yeah...I guess you read it and turned out fine I guess it can stay the YA genre.

      Delete
    2. I am ok? If you say so haha.

      I should re.read and see what I feel now

      Delete
  2. I never heard of this book before. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally sold this one to me, thank you very much! Now I have one more book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such an interesting story, and I think I'd also really connect with Chagak. So glad to hear you adored this book, and now it's definitely going in my TBR pile! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. it was fantastic. I really didn't expect it to be so.

      Delete
  6. I have read those books over 20 years ago, and I do remember I loved them. They might even still be in my attic somewhere. It did start my prehistorical kick I think, Jean M. Auel and such.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow it sounds great! I don't think I knew this series but I'll have to see what the others are. I'm glad it was that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to have to have time to check the others in the series.

      Delete
  8. Oooo a top book of the year contender? LOVE when I find one of those! This sounds really different and interesting, thanks for putting it on my radar Carole Rae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Yup! There is still a lot of time before the end of the year though ;D Thank you and you are most welcome.

      Delete
  9. Awesome review and I love that it became a movie in your head...I love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Now it just needs to be put on screen!

      Delete
  10. Wow - sounds impressive. I don't think I would have read it otherwise. The cover doesn't really grab me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaah....it was mainly the title that grabbed me.

      Delete
  11. Wow high praise, straight onto my wishlist it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I love historical fiction and this sounds so good. I'm going to check out the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. I don't think you'll regret it. ;D I can't wait to read the next one one day.

      Delete
  13. I love the title of the book and the blurb sounds good. I'll have to check this one out! Thanks Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title was what grabbed me! Thank you! Hope you like it as much as me.

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP