Wednesday 28 August 2013

Review: The Crown Tower - Michael J.Sullivan

A warrior with nothing to fight for is paired with a thieving assassin with nothing to lose. Together they must steal a treasure that no one can reach. The Crown Tower is the impregnable remains of the grandest fortress ever built and home to the realm’s most valuable possessions. But it isn’t gold or jewels the old wizard is after, and this prize can only be obtained by the combined talents of two remarkable men. Now if Arcadias can just keep Hadrian and Royce from killing each other, they just might succeed.

My thoughts:
I have to compare, of course I do. And by comparing I do feel this book was not as strong as the Riyria revelation books. It was still a good book, but yes not as good.

I also wondered how I would have felt if I had read these before the series. Cos they are prequels, so I do know what will happen. But that does not make them any less exciting. It is after all the story of how Royce and Hadrian met, and trust me, their relationship is nothing like in RR. And I should not forget that it's also Gwen's story and I must say, I even think I liked her story the most. She took charge of her life in such a good way.

It also made me wanna re-read RR, cos all the things hinted at here, aww, I know those thing. I wanna read about those things again.

You can read this series first, or you can read RR and read this later. Do what ever fits you the best. Because everything here is still new to me. Sure I know how everyone will end up, I just do not know how they will reach that first destination on the way there.

Conclusion:
But, it did move slow at first before it picked up. Still it had to be told that way, I guess.

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 416 pages
Published August 6th 2013 by Orbit
The Riyria Chronicles #1, Riyria #1
Fantasy
Own

22 comments:

  1. I'm sad you didn't like this one as much as RR because I loved it as much as RR... and next book, The Rose and the Thorn, is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno why I felt like this, it was just..not as cool

      Delete
  2. This definitely sounds like a series I'll have to pick up. I love the first line in the synopsis =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my cup of tea, but it still sounds good. I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes prequels help me understand things from a series more but other times I feel like I know the outcome so meh.

    It's best when hey focus on different characters I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still good, but not as good. Still I will of course read the next one

      Delete
  5. I wanted to read the RR series a couple of years ago and never got around to it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this was a prequel. I've seen this before and thought it sounded good but I thought it was new serie. Good to know :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as it picks up, I'm good. I can also see how hard it would be to not compare. Hm... might have to read this one first.. you know.. in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some books you just have to compare.

      Haha, well I could not since this one came out after the three that is after this one ;) That sounded complicated

      Delete
  8. well.. don't know, I prefer when you love the book lol. It's always difficult not to compare them I agree

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm not sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pre-quel...yeah I'm not sure about those myself. I fell like we already know the people and story fro reading the series, and now the author is doing something extra, for what purpose?

    Well at least it made you want to re-read the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here the reason is to know what led to the events 12 years later. And that way sure it's fun, just not as fun

      Delete
  11. I think you'll enjoy the second one of these much better. I did. I enjoyed this one, but it was missing the duo humor we love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be an xmas pressie from BF to me, cos I can't buy any books :/

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP