Friday 9 August 2013

Review: New England Rocks - Christina Courtenay

When Rain Mackenzie is expelled from her British boarding school, she can t believe her bad luck. Not only is she forced to move to New England, USA, she s also sent to the local high school, as a punishment.Rain makes it her mission to dislike everything about Northbrooke High, but what she doesn t bank on is meeting Jesse Devlin Jesse is the hottest guy Rain s ever seen and he plays guitar in an awesome rock band!There s just one small problem Jesse already has a girlfriend, little miss perfect Amber Lawrence, who looks set to cause trouble as Rain and Jesse grow closer.But, what does it matter? New England sucks anyway, and Rain doesn't plan on sticking around Does she?

My thoughts:
I do think this was my favorite Courtenay book so far. It was YA with drama, but the kind of drama I can like. My problem with YA books is that they so often are filled with angst and stupid over dramatic drama. Those books make me wanna smack everyone over the head. While this one, well this one felt real.

Rain was, angry yes, but then someone had thrown her to the wolves and she was in a new school where she knew no one. And the most interesting guy, the one who talks to her has a preppy girlfriend. Tough luck. Yes Jesse is a good guy, he plays in a rock band, but that irritating girlfriend of his. Not good.

It was fun to see them together. Two teens finding their way. She has issues, he has issues. Sure the end was a bit too picture perfect, but then it was also an ending that should happen. I liked it, and I can say nothing more about it.

The little drama that worked then, well of course it has to do with that he has a girlfriend and that she is annoying ;) That I can handle.

Conclusion:
A nice YA book that was sweet and rocked.

Almost forget my cover snarking! Chris would totally have mentioned that ;)
Cover: She looks like she rocks and I like that

Paperback, 202 pages: Published August 7th 2013 by Choc Lit : series: New England Rocks #1: YA: From the publisher in turn for an honest review

34 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! But I agree...I can't handle YA that they are stupid with the overdramatics...thats why I'm picky on what I pick up from this genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find them too. I mostly got burned out on the YA pnr scene, all that drama, I was just *big eyeroll* But when normal comes along, good

      Delete
  2. This one sounds really good. I agree on the YA drama as well so I'm glad this one doesn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read. I know exactly what you mean about the drama that some other YA books have...of course, looking back to middle school and high school, some of that over the top drama really did occur...annoying! I'm glad you really enjoyed this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well I did not see any drama. The thing I hate is that it's always so "I will die!!!" I love you forever!!! Yeah whatever

      Delete
  4. I'm not big on YA books for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I'm not a fan of angst over the smallest of things but I'm sure way back when, I reacted just like these characters do. That's what happens with aging - no patience for this kind of stuff. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes always the angst. I lost my pen! Noooooo! I will die. *eyeroll*

      Thing is I did not like to read about it when being YA either.

      I preferred books like this one

      Delete
  5. Oh a YA you like? Must check that one out.

    She might look like she rocks, but does she rock hard? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will admit I am not a fan of YA contemps, for the reason you mentioned but have come across a few that are awesome..glad you liked this one and no smacking of heads was involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to smack people over the head in books, lol.

      And I am glad when I come across good YA books, as most are just so angst filled

      Delete
  7. One of these days, I'll get into YA. Or not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am sadly not into YA. I will read the ones that look good though. But if I read too much I come across those books I talked about

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by Christina Courtenay but your review makes me want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I wouldn't have said it was a YA book with this cover, and I confess I didn't know the author. Will have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that one does not know it at once, but ...it does look a bit more Ya than adult, the color maybe

      Delete
  10. Yay for the good kind of YA drama! I like drama in my books, but not relationship angst that's all overdone and full of miscommunications. Sounds like this is more up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No miscommunications here, just two people falling but there is someone in the way that is not all that

      Delete
  11. Agree with you on constant angst :) Glad this book wasn't in that category! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The angst is just so bleh. But there are some good YA books out there like this one

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a fun YA. I like some drama in this genre, as long as it's not over dramatic like you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some drama is good, not just silly over dramatic drama

      Delete
  13. This one sounds good B. Adding it to the list for my stepdaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo, now that does sound good. :) Glad you liked this YA. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yeah my kind of YA, too much angst makes me want to slap someone lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear this has drama that's not too annoying. From the synopsis I would have thought there would be the typical over drama, but it's really good to hear the author steered clear of it. I'll have to check this out, thanks for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad there were none, as I do hate that. But she did well to steer away from it

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP