Wednesday 18 September 2013

Carole Reviews: Betrayal - Sandra Schwab


Author: Sandra Schwab
Title: Betrayal 
Genre: Historical Romance, Drama
Pages: ebook
First Published: July 21st, 2013
Where I Got It: Given to me by publisher/author to read and review for my honest and unbiased opinion

"On a golden day in early summer, two young boys meet in the crowded streets of Florence and change the lives of a man and a woman forevermore...

For seventeen years Ash has been eaten up alive by bitterness and hatred, caught fast in the clutches of the past. For seventeen years he has not been able to look at the boy he raised as his heir and not remember the terrible betrayal he had to endure. And yet, for seventeen years he has closed his eyes against the even more terrible truth ...

Seventeen years ago Georgina fled from England and all she ever held dear. But for the sake of her child, she must return to confront the man whom she once loved more than life itself until lies and deceit tore her life and marriage apart.

Will their love stand a second chance?"


Like earlier stated I read and reviewed this for the publisher/author for my honest and unbiased opinion.

This would be my third novel I've read by Sandra Schwab and yet again she has dazzled me. She keeps getting better and better. I'm having a hard time letting this be labeled in the Historical Romance. It was more of a tragedy with a HEA at the very, very end. It was so sad and I felt bad for both Georgina and Ash. They were torn apart for seventeen years due to betrayal and lies. It was so sad and the way Sandra Schwab made you connect with the characters.

I loved how she based this story of the famous 'Parent Trap' movies and the original German play. It was a unique and cute way to make the two separated lovers reunit. It makes me want to re-watch the movies. However, I always wonder the chances that the twins would be at the same place at the same time...it is so unlikely. 

Anyways, it was a cute, but tragic book. I really wanted to punch Ash though, because he had claimed to loving her SO much, but when one person tells him that she had laid with another man HE believed it. Even when Georgina denied it, he still divorced her. There was no proof...only word of mouth...he divorced her. GAH! MEN! So bull-headed. He was lucky she didn't take both of the babies with her. >.> However, there was one way that Georgina could have avoided all that (which I can't say) but she didn't play that card, which she should have played, but she didn't. C'MON! You're marriage is going down in flames and you wouldn't do anything to save it? GAH! I just wanted to scream when I found out the card that could have saved the marriage to begin with. Tsk.

I loved everything about this book, besides for one thing...I hated the ending. Yes, I was glad they got their HEA, but it was rushed. I wanted more one-on-one between the two. I wanted more cuddling and sweet words. For heaven's sake they had been apart for 17 years. IDK. All this build up and the ending left me wanting more. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot. I would really like a prequel of the couple. It would be fun to see how they got together in their youth and then the crumble of the marriage. Maybe someday. *fingers crossed*.  The ending felt super rushed, but the rest of the book was great and I want more! I can't wait to read more by Sandra Schwab. ^.^ I would recommend this to those that love Historical Romances. Out of 5 stars I grant this one 5 stars. It is more like 4.5, but I rounded since I don't give decimals. 

Favorite Character(s): The twins (a pair of rascals), Georgina, Frau Else and Guy
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Dowager Countess (*grumbles* bitch *grumbles*)



24 comments:

  1. This sounds SO intense. I hate when they rush the ending in the last chapter or two. I mean that's the thing we're waiting for. And I want to see and believe in their HEA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather intense, but I liked it. haha.

      Delete
  2. Even though I'm not into historical fiction, this one has my interest and what a nice cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would get a kick out of it. But yes, I adore this cover. I want that dress!

      Delete
  3. Awesome review..why have I not read this author? That cover is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sandra Schwab is a very good author. I don't know why she isn't more heard of.

      I WANT THAT DRESS! hahaha

      Delete
  4. This sounds fantastic. Cute cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time I hear about Sandra Schwab. I need to check her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! I think you would like her.

      Delete
  6. Ash does sounds stubborn! So nice of him to believe other people instead of his wife, but I'm glad there's an HEA at the end! I can wade through all the lies as long as they're happy by the last page:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Stupid Ash...but yes, the HEA at the end was worth it.

      Delete
  7. Sounds good! I have a couple of her historical Gothics in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I would have felt the same way about Ash. Probably thrown the book a time or two as well. :) This does sound like a good book as long as there is an HEA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wanted too...but it was an ebook, so I didn't feel like risking the safety of my kindle fire. hahaha

      Delete
  9. Sounds fantastic, even with the rushed ending (which is definitely a pet peeve of mine). I haven't tried her before so I'll definitely look into Sandra's books =) Thanks Carole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def a pet peeve of mine as well. DO! You'll like her! And thank you Mishel!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the lovely review, Carole. Yes, I totally admit that the ending of "Betrayal" was rushed - it was either that or never finishing the story at all. So chose the former rather than the latter. :-)

    And thank you, all, for the wonderful comments about the cover. Given that I designed it myself, I'm really thrilled that you like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you so much Sandra for allowing me to read this for you! Can't wait for more of your books! It's okay...sometimes it has to be done.

      You designed this cover? LOVE IT! I want the dress. hahaha

      Delete
  11. This sounds good! I don't like tragedies though. They make me so mad. Hmm... what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm this author is the hostess at the Love Letter Convention in Berlin, Germany, and she is a very nice person, but I have not yet read one of her books. And even as you loved it, clearly, it does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP