Tuesday 10 September 2013

Review: A Bargain Struck - Liz Harris

Widower Connor Maguire advertises for a wife to raise his young daughter, Bridget, work the homestead and bear him a son. 

Ellen O’Sullivan longs for a home, a husband and a family. On paper, she is everything Connor needs in a wife. However, it soon becomes clear that Ellen has not been entirely truthful.

Will Connor be able to overlook Ellen’s dishonesty and keep to his side of the bargain? Or will Bridget’s resentment, the attentions of the beautiful Miss Quinn, and the arrival of an unwelcome visitor, combine to prevent the couple from starting anew.

As their personal feelings blur the boundaries of their deal, they begin to wonder if a bargain struck makes a marriage worth keeping.

Set in Wyoming in 1887, a story of a man and a woman brought together through need, not love …

My thoughts:
This is not your typical sort of romance, neither is it pure historical fiction. No, it's...romantic historical fiction ;) And this one in a western setting.

Did the romance come quick? No. Did it come easy? No. This couple struggled and my heart wept for her. Ellen was a strong woman who had been through a lot and she acts like a little grey mouse, not voicing her opinion. I shall not say what happened, but she has a secret and it's something others have a hard time handling.

Life on the frontier was not exactly easy either. It's a tough life. 

Connor was a good man. Again, I can't say much, but yes he comes around.

Life on the farm, getting to know a new husband, having a step-daughter who hates her and more creates a good book that was hard to put down. I just wanted to know one thing...will there be love? So I could not stop reading.

Conclusion:
A good book with a story that moved me.

Paperback, 336 pages
Published September 7th 2013 by Choc Lit (first published July 31st 2013)
Romantic historical fiction
From the author for an honest review

24 comments:

  1. Many thanks for a really lovely review of my novel. I loved writing it and found it a real wrench to say goodbye to Conn, Ellen and Bridget.

    Thank you, too, for being so thoughtful as to avoid spoilers.

    I'm thrilled with your review, Book Girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the thing, I wanted to mention it but alas it was a spoiler. They will see for themselves :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds emotional and like that Connor came around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sure emotional, from every direction

      Delete
  3. Wow!! this sounds so good, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a nice balance between history and romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Westerns especially since I have always lived in the Wild West. Sounds like a good one. And yes, life was way hard back then. I can't imagine living in AZ without air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all the clothes worn when warm, and not enough when cold...

      Delete
  6. Not normally of fan of western settings, I do like the wife needed plots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good, and I love that it is a western and the romance built slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwwwe. I need a good story that moves me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So curious about her secret. You know, I love them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a BEAUTIFUL blog. Great posts too.

    I saw your interview on Examiner.com and wanted to stop by.

    Have a great day!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP