Thursday 5 September 2013

Review: The Outlaw Knight - Elizabeth Chadwick

Fulke FitzWarin has played many roles--loyal knight, dangerous outlaw, dashing lover, loyal husband. But when a violent quarrel with King John disrupts Fulke's ambition to become Lord of his own castle, his true character as a valiant hero is revealed.

Paperback, 576 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 2001)
The Fitzwaren Novels #2
Historical fiction
From the publisher

My thoughts:
This is book 2 in the FitzWaren novels, but you do not need to have read book 1 to follow along. This is the story about Fulke FitzWarin who like his father wants his land and castle back.

Another book where King John is a total ass, honestly this guy deserves a kick in the behind. Fulke and prince John gets in a fight at 15 and hates each other for the rest of their lives. As all this happened a long time ago, and legends grow, we can't know it all. But yes I can see it happening like this. Later on Fulke becomes an outlaw when the now King John is a total asshat.

Fulke is, well a man of his time. He can be so stubborn at times, a right idiot. But he loves his family. He sure wants Whittington back and he is a man of honor. And I liked how he went up against King John, now that is how a legend is made.

It was a hard time, but a great time to read about. You know it's good when I have to go google different people I read about,´even though I have googled them before.

An interesting story, but I must admit I wish the could have ended it a bit before the end. I did not need to know that which I shall not say. Then again, I had already read Chadwick's own words so I knew what would happen. But I like the illusion of everyone staying young and happy.

Conclusion
History at it's best.

41 comments:

  1. Oh the cover guy looks like Christopher Lambert *heart beat fast*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love her books, but i had to stop reading them b/c they were getting to be too much violence, etc for me personally :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made me curious about this one! I've never read a Chadwick book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John was an asshat..LOL, you have me curious and I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friday! Friday! Friday! Soon! Soon! Soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friday! Now! Just gotta get through the work day

      Delete
  6. Oh come on you secretly love King John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ok I secretly think that he was surely a hottie...but an evil hottie

      Delete
  7. Poor John... :) I like illusionary HEAs too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read this author before, but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I just realized that I have a copy of the UK edition titled Lords of the White Castle. Cool!

      Delete
    2. dang, I should have mentioned that! My bad

      Delete
  10. Needing to google is always a good sign! Glad you enjoyed this one, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has always been my favorite historical fiction author :)

      Delete
  11. Love it when a book has me googling historical characters and places. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it sounds nice! Well it's a plus to know that we can read them separately!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds interesting enough but I'm not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the older cover more...

    I think I cried in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Elizabeth Chadwick. I really need to read more by her. Sighs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Elizabeth Chadwick, I've got the original title Lords of the White Castle on my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I've heard a lot about Elizabeth Chadwick, but I do enjoy historical books! Especially ones that actually involve people who use to really be alive. :-) This sounds like an interesting read and I'm glad you enjoyed it...except the very end. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end was good, it's just...well someone dies and it was sad. But that was life

      Delete
  18. Lol this is the King John from Robin Hood? Adding it to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like the men are raised to be asses... wonder if their asses at least look nice from behind. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have yet to read a book by Chadwick but I want to

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP