Monday 28 October 2013

Review: Heartwood - Freya Robertson

A dying tree, a desperate quest, a love story, a last stand.

Chonrad, Lord of Barle, comes to the fortified temple of Heartwood for the Congressus peace talks, which Heartwood’s holy knights have called in an attempt to stave off war in Anguis. But the Arbor, Heartwood’s holy tree, is failing, and because the land and its people are one, it is imperative the nations try to make peace.

After the Veriditas, or annual Greening Ceremony, the Congressus takes place. The talks do not go well and tempers are rising when an army of warriors emerges from the river. After a fierce battle, the Heartwood knights discover that the water warriors have stolen the Arbor’s heart. For the first time in history, its leaves begin to fall...

The knights divide into seven groups and begin an epic quest to retrieve the Arbor, and save the land.

My thoughts:
It was a complex world that gave me a few surprises. Which I of course can't mention, spoilers darling, spoilers.

Where to start? Delegates from countries have come to Heartwood to talk peace. Heartwood is the religious center with quite the military force. Think Sparta meets...holy tree that needs to be protected. The tree is tied to the land and nature is what religion is about here.

And then there are the...oh I so wanna tell you. It was a great revelation. Very intriguing. Well done, and you will know when you have read it.

There are a couple of POVS in this book, I will not tell you all but they have their different roads to take. It's not really about one person, but about them all. I guess we could say Chonrad is a lead, but I say they all are so that was a bit different.

The ending is just what it is, an ending. Which I am grateful for cos I am not a fan of cliffies. But at the same time I know there is a book 2 and I am so curious what that book will be about. I need to know.

The book had its focus on adventure and fighting. I guess I might have missed really getting to know one person and not all. But all in all it was a good book that I finished fast.

Conclusion:
I do still wonder what book 2 is about. The title gives me ideas, blurb please soon. 

Cover
Cool

Would I read more? 
Yes cos I want to know what happens next

Paperback, 528 pages
Expected publication: October 29th 2013 by Angry Robot
Elemental Wars #1
Fantasy
For review

36 comments:

  1. I love when I end a book wanting more but get grrrrrr when it isn't out yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the ending was well wrapped up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn it! You are teasing so much with this review! :) Sounds like a good fantasy and I need to put it on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review, but now I want to know more and the cover is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole book is one big spoiler ;) Cos..no I can't say, but it was cool

      Delete
  5. It is a pretty cool cover. Even if he's headless. ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly yes, but then I do not have to think whether he is hot or not

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I thought this was historical book after seeing the cover. But it sounds good and the cover is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the unknown was you, I saw it and then it was gone

      Delete
  8. I love good world building and surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good one. I like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not my thing, but that's a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahahaha! Spoilers....yes please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO hard not to give away the spoilers. hahaha. Last review was like that for me. GAAAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just wanna spill the beans cos it's good but nah should not

      Delete
  13. Oh yes, no cliffie, an actual end! I always love hearing that. And you're still excited for book two, that's a great sign (see, authors, you don't need a cliffie to get us excited about more books!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was rather surprised cos I knew there would be more books but still there it was, no cliffie.

      Yup no cliffie needed

      Delete
  14. Loving this cover... not sure if the book is quite to my taste from the blurb, but your review certainly left me intrigued! :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like fantasy then yes, if not..then maybe not for you

      Delete
  15. I am so not a fan of cliffhangers either, it's always such a relief to find a book that doesn't have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are good, some do not work at all. And I hate when I have to wait ages for the next book

      Delete
  16. This sounds really good. Love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely sounds like a great fantasy B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. adventure & fighting works for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm I like Earth Religion in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alright, I'm sold. Going to add it to my wish list. This one looks like it holds some promise to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP