Sunday 20 October 2013

Review: In Sea-salt tears - Seanan McGuire

Free to download in Mobi, ePub and PDF.

It was 1972, and a teenage girl named Elizabeth Ryan thought that her world was coming to an end. Elizabeth was the daughter of two Selkies, you see, and she had just been passed up for a skin. But then a mysterious cousin who calls herself Annie appears, and Elizabeth finds other things to think about...

It can be easy to forget that worlds don't wait for heroes before they begin. It can be easy to forget that things happened before the lights came up and the story started. This is one of those things that happened: this is one of those tales that slipped through the cracks. It is the story of a girl named Elizabeth, and a girl named Annie, and what they were to one another, in the sight and sounding of the sea.

Maybe it isn't fair. But fairy tales never really are.

Thoughts:
This was a sad short story. No happy ending here, but that depends on how you see it and what you want.

I liked it and the selkie stories are always sad in this universe. They are not the happiest of fairies...at all.

Love and loss and making choices is what it was about

ebook, 24 pages
Published August 23rd 2012
Got at http://www.seananmcguire.com/tobyshorts.php
October Daye #5.1
Urban fantasy

I also realised that  I never said anything about the short story at the end of Chimes of Midnight. We get to see October make the Choice and I liked the way it was shown. I do like Luidaeg, but then  I love them all

24 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I want to read a sad story right now but I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was not I am so sad I wanna die sad...but still sad..ish

      Delete
  2. I agree with BookaholicCat...I've been in the mood for happier books. hahaha. But when I get into my tragic/sad mood I shall def have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tragic, just sad. Not a HEA. Still good sad..ohh melancholic yes

      Delete
  3. Lol sad-ish works for me. I haven't had a chance to try this series out but they are on my TBR list =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes sad-ish, it all depends on what you want

      Delete
  4. This sounds good. I just went over and downloaded it to my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a sad short story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the end, and well the general feeling

      Delete
  6. Oooo. Short stories. I need to get to this world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selkies are the most interesting creatures. My favorite selkie series is Jane True by Nicole Peeler. :)
    I love Seanan's writing, this short is a must read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes then you must read it :D I had totally missed it so I am glad I found it

      Delete
  8. I don't always need a happy story to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge fan of this author, and cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And the cover?!?? Do you just wait for me to pester you about it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start writing a note on GR that way I would remember, headdesk

      It's meh, but hey it was a freebie short story so we can't expect wonders

      Delete
  11. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a sad story, and when I am, I'll make sure to give this a try. I love Seanan's writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this Blodeuedd. one day ...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP